Need advice on how to change to a marriage visa from a retirement visa

10 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

If I can apply for an extension in the 30 period prior to August 5 and I chose July 8 (Monday) to apply, then the 400k seasoning would have to be dated prior to May 8. On that Monday do I need to have my wife, photos, map, witnesses, housebook, bank letter etc. in addition to the application? By the way, I'll be going to Jomtien IO.

You should check with the Jomtien office about just what they are requiring, and review what members here have been posting about the Jomtien office, since I believe they are one of the offices that has some out of the ordinary requirements/procedures.

But as a general matter, on the day you to go apply, yes, you need to bring the Thai wife and the whole assortment of required documents (and any other people, if required) with you. Pack your briefcase!!!

1 hour ago, bronzedude said:

Thank you. Very good explanations. Can the 400K be in 2 different accounts? Like 200K+ in a regular savings and 200K in a fixed account? What is considered an updated Kor Ror 2? 1 week? 2 weeks? 6 months? My wife is from Nakorn Sawan, Does the house book need to be the one from Nakorn Sawan? I own a condo in Jomtien and have a blue house book. Who do the witness need to be? Anybody that knows us both or just anybody?

Can't help with the accounts as mine was all in a savings account.  Re the the Kor Ror 2 - mine was only a couple of days old but I was specifically reminded that I would need a new one next year.  I was told that the witnesses had to be neighbors and NOT family members - I think they just need to be able to confirm that you are both living together.

Yeah, I'm thinking of going this route myself; not so much to stay in Thailand, but just so I can continue to support the 4 dogs and my common law wife of 10 years (to be honest, if I was free of earthly attachments, I'd have bu@#ered of to Cambodia long ago). As an added bonus she might also get the widow's pension (local government not State). I won't really care what happens after I die - "non fui, fui, non sum, non curo" (I was not, I was, I am not, I don't care), but now, while I'm still alive, it's a concern.

22 minutes ago, nausea said:

Yeah, I'm thinking of going this route myself; not so much to stay in Thailand, but just so I can continue to support the 4 dogs and my common law wife of 10 years (to be honest, if I was free of earthly attachments, I'd have bu@#ered of to Cambodia long ago). As an added bonus she might also get the widow's pension (local government not State). I won't really care what happens after I die - "non fui, fui, non sum, non curo" (I was not, I was, I am not, I don't care), but now, while I'm still alive, it's a concern.

I doubt if they will permit you to change based on a common law wife, if you mean a defacto wife. That relationship is not recognised in Thailand. You may have to bite the bullet and get legally married and not a village wedding only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Honestly, I'm not being factious, but a some point in time you need to take off the rose-colored glasses and replace them with reality goggles.  There have been a bunch of threads on this topic.  I distinctly remember one OP stating that he applied for the marriage extension but was given a retirement extension stamp in his passport instead because he had in excess of 800k.  Perhaps we need more stories of expats applying for marriage extensions while having 800k in the bank, but I can't personally say that I've heard success stories using that scenario.  If they are out there, well, personally I'd like to hear about them.  Plus you are dealing with bureaucrats.  These people get paid to push paper and adhere to policy - they don't get paid to be compassionate if compassion for foreigners is even an emotion in their personal emotional makeup.  Reality is that you are not wanted here but are simply tolerated if you meet certain criteria that vary from immigration office to immigration office.

Can we stop with the 'they don't want us here' paranoid nonsense. If they truly did not want use, we would not be here. They could expel the unwanted at the stroke of a pen if they so choose.

Having said that I fail to understand why any country would want or need a sizeable amount of single old men to live there. Married men I understand, as I am one of them. But old, single and mostly poor pensioners?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nausea said:

If you're talking about applying for a marriage extension, you need to be legally married in Thailand, meaning going to your local amphur/khet office and doing all the legal paperwork to obtain a Thai marriage license/certificate, including getting the affidavit from your embassy that you're free to marry (not already married elsewhere/before and not yet divorced). Otherwise, no dice.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:10 PM, ubonjoe said:

From the many posts I have read over the years I would say most problems people have are self inflicted because they forgot things that were needed previously.

It does seem to vary from office to office.

Thats the whole thing UbonJoe, it seems to be easy in some offices and harder in others, they all have their own interpretation of the rules.

4 hours ago, bronzedude said:

Can the 400K be in 2 different accounts? Like 200K+ in a regular savings and 200K in a fixed account?

What is considered an updated Kor Ror 2? 1 week? 2 weeks? 6 months?

My wife is from Nakorn Sawan, Does the house book need to be the one from Nakorn Sawan?

I own a condo in Jomtien and have a blue house book.

Who do the witness need to be? Anybody that knows us both or just anybody?

Re the accounts, normally, yes, they'll allow two, provided both are seasoned and you have the required bank letter and copies for both.

Re the wife, she needs to bring her Thai ID and her tabien bahn -- regardless of where you and she are physically living.

Re your condo, if you're living there at time of application, bring that documentation and your house book.

Re the witnesses, check with the Immigration Office where you plan to apply. The practice on whether witnesses are required, and if so, what kind, varies place to place.

6 hours ago, jesimps said:

True to form answer from the C in C of the rosey specs brigade.

Always have seen life here realistically as I did before I made the decision to live here.  No surprises or disappointments. 

Those who formed childish, rosey colored expectations and rushed to shift to what they thought would be life in adult Disney Land inevitably were disappointed and now see everything through dung encrusted specs and insist on portraying everything as if Thais and Thailand were beneath them

if you bothered to understand Thailand as it is rather than as you wanted it to be you'd be less likely to insist on being condescendingly negative about everything. 

Cant say for certain which brigade you belong to since I've never felt compelled to read whatever it is you regularly spew in order to classifying you as you've apparently done for me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a copy of the new police order which shows all these recent changes to extensions based on marriage and retirement?

And can you still use the combination method for both the marriage and the retirement extensions? 

Thanks 

8 hours ago, vistana said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a copy of the new police order which shows all these recent changes to extensions based on marriage and retirement?

There is no new police orders there only changes to specific clauses of the existing orders.

For marriage the only change is to the allowance for proving income by transfers to a Thai bank. Marriage is clause 2.18 and retirement is 2.22.

Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income.

For retirement the change is to the money in the bank options that includes the combination option.

Police Order 35/2562 Changing 327/2557 Clause 2.22  Changing requirements for an extension based upon retirement.

8 hours ago, vistana said:

And can you still use the combination method for both the marriage and the retirement extensions? 

The combination option has never been allowed for an extension based upon marriage. The combination option is still possible for retirement.

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re the accounts, normally, yes, they'll allow two, provided both are seasoned and you have the required bank letter and copies for both.

Re the wife, she needs to bring her Thai ID and her tabien bahn -- regardless of where you and she are physically living.

Re your condo, if you're living there at time of application, bring that documentation and your house book.

Re the witnesses, check with the Immigration Office where you plan to apply. The practice on whether witnesses are required, and if so, what kind, varies place to place.

Thank you, all really good information. Will this be the process for all extensions or just the first one? Can I assume that the witnesses and photos are eliminated in the future?

Thank you, all really good information. Will this be the process for all extensions or just the first one? Can I assume that the witnesses and photos are eliminated in the future?
Assume nothing of the sort, depending on the office you are using assume differing hurdles each time

Very rarley are obstacles removed from the process......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

In general, YOU should plan on preparing and bringing the same things for each application. But, you also need to keep track either here and/or directly with your local office of local rules/interpretations that can and do change from time to time for future years.

Re your questions above, you should plan on taking and bringing the required photos for each and every application -- they never don't require those. As for the witnesses issue for future repeat applications, you'll need to check with your local IO and/or members who use that office on that detail.

58 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

As far as Korat are (currently) concerned witnesses are only needed for the first extension.  Pictures are needed for each and every extension.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:14 AM, RJRS1301 said:

I find this 40k for married extension and 65k for retirement confusing. Do they thInk two live cheaper than a single retired?

in their words of Hanson P>>>>> please explain

A retiree is supposed to be a retiree ... hence his age (>50 years), and his income is a pension. Even if he works from time to time in Europe and has a real income. So the 65,000 might even be without taxes (no idea, technically when you spent more than 180 days in Thailand you are supposed to file a tax report, even if at the end you pay no taxes)

A married person could simply be 22 or something, run a small business with his wife, both have income from that business. Or he has a "normal" work permit and works in some Thai company. Technically he obviously could receive income from the outside of the country.

As I see it: 

Retirement visa: you are supposed to be "rich enough" to stay.

Marriage visa: you are supposed to b clever and busy enough to actually earn the money.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:57 AM, Peterw42 said:

The TV or airconn costs the same to run with one or two people. 

Most of my bills are similar to being single but there are 2 incomes to pay them.

Erm, no? Or do you keep the aircon on in rooms you don't use? And 2 people living in a community usually have their own TV and laptop etc ...

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In general, YOU should plan on preparing and bringing the same things for each application. But, you also need to keep track either here and/or directly with your local office of local rules/interpretations that can and do change from time to time for future years.

Re your questions above, you should plan on taking and bringing the required photos for each and every application -- they never don't require those. As for the witnesses issue for future repeat applications, you'll need to check with your local IO and/or members who use that office on that detail.

Thanks. Good advice. It seems so much is dependent on the local IO. But it's always good to be over-prepared when it comes to documents, photos etc. I guess I'm like most people who have gone into IO with what I thought was everything, but had to go back out and obtain something new or different. I appreciate everyones' advice. It make the thought of going to immigration a little less arduous. 

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been asked as I did not read the whole thread but does your wife need to be with you when you go to immigration. A few years ago I used to do marriage extension with income based on WP & in Phuket they always needed the wife to be present

30 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Sorry if this has been asked as I did not read the whole thread but does your wife need to be with you when you go to immigration. A few years ago I used to do marriage extension with income based on WP & in Phuket they always needed the wife to be present

Your wife has to be with you to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. She has to complete a statement that you both have to sign.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife has to be with you to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. She has to complete a statement that you both have to sign.

Hey Joe, how about also when the applicant goes back to (hopefully) to get their final extension stamp at the end of the 30 day under review period? Does the wife need to tag along for that visit also?  Either specifically because Immigration wants it, or, as a precaution in case they come up with some last-minute issue involving the wife?

On 3/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, emptypockets said:

Can we stop with the 'they don't want us here' paranoid nonsense. If they truly did not want use, we would not be here. They could expel the unwanted at the stroke of a pen if they so choose.

Having said that I fail to understand why any country would want or need a sizeable amount of single old men to live there. Married men I understand, as I am one of them. But old, single and mostly poor pensioners?

Not all single older men are poor>>>

In fact the older single males I know generally have greater assets both liquid and property to their married counterparts, both held locally and in overseas destinations

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Hey Joe, how about also when the applicant goes back to (hopefully) to get their final extension stamp at the end of the 30 day under review period? Does the wife need to tag along for that visit also?  Either specifically because Immigration wants it, or, as a precaution in case they come up with some last-minute issue involving the wife?

You wife does not have to be with you when you go back for the extension stamp.

If there any problems with your application you would of been contacted about it to get it resolved.

My wife has been the one a few times that went to get mine done. Just took my passport and got it done.

• Thanks 1