Adopting my wife's nephew

medic5678

Ok, my wife and little girl have their Green Cards, we are living in the USA, which is where we're staying.  Little girl is 6.   My wife's sister is struggling and we would like to adopt one of her sons and bring him to live with us to the United States.  Anyone with any experience on this topic, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks to all who reply.

we have done it, also an adoption of our nephew (son of my wife's brother) while he was about 10 years. I was living in Oman at the time, on a one month on-off rota with Thailand. My wife stayed officially in Thailand, though she was regularly in Oman, like our nephew. He lost his father some 1 yrs before and we thought it would be better for him to be adopted in our family. 

It is a kind of lengthy procedure though.

The Thai institute for orphanance (somewhere) in Bangkok is regulating this.

OK found the name etc: Department of Social Development and Welfare, Krung Kasem Road, Bangkok 10100 Thailand. tel: 662 2479480 ( this was 2003 so 16 yrs back , hope details still correct)

You have to go through a screening by your home country, the social welphare of your country has to make a report that speaks good of you such that it would entitle you to become candidate for adoption. Same for your wife , Thai welfare institute ,will have to examen her and your family home and make a positive report.

In my case, I had to get the approval through my embasy in Muscat, Oman, but they need a declaration of good behavior from your homecountry, together will all your documents, birth certificate, passport, marry certificate, profession and or jobs and future expectation for income. If I remember, I had most of my documents in English, that was ok.

If all looks favorable, we had to appear in Bangkok , together and the boy, for the welfare approval forum and they will make an interview to check your preparedness and suitability for the adoption. My thai was poor that time, but the chair lady spoke good English and with some favorite words from me, she was prepared to have me interviewed in english;me wife in Thai, though. They also did some questioning of our nephew, but as he was already some time living with us, there would be not too much changing for him.

Ultimately, we got approval and he got an official declaration for adoption approval with also a change in his family name.

Slightly different circumstances but may help a bit.

I'm from the UK and live in Thailand permanently (I have permanent residence here), and was going to adopt my stepson (natural father deceased), who I have brought up and educated since he was 3 years old.

However, I found that an adoption in Thailand is not recognised in the UK, and would have no affect on him getting rights to live in the UK etc.

You might want to check into that side of it for the US before going ahead on anything.

1 hour ago, ardsong said:

we have done it, also an adoption of our nephew (son of my wife's brother) while he was about 10 years. I was living in Oman at the time, on a one month on-off rota with Thailand. My wife stayed officially in Thailand, though she was regularly in Oman, like our nephew. He lost his father some 1 yrs before and we thought it would be better for him to be adopted in our family. 

It is a kind of lengthy procedure though.

The Thai institute for orphanance (somewhere) in Bangkok is regulating this.

OK found the name etc: Department of Social Development and Welfare, Krung Kasem Road, Bangkok 10100 Thailand. tel: 662 2479480 ( this was 2003 so 16 yrs back , hope details still correct)

You have to go through a screening by your home country, the social welphare of your country has to make a report that speaks good of you such that it would entitle you to become candidate for adoption. Same for your wife , Thai welfare institute ,will have to examen her and your family home and make a positive report.

In my case, I had to get the approval through my embasy in Muscat, Oman, but they need a declaration of good behavior from your homecountry, together will all your documents, birth certificate, passport, marry certificate, profession and or jobs and future expectation for income. If I remember, I had most of my documents in English, that was ok.

If all looks favorable, we had to appear in Bangkok , together and the boy, for the welfare approval forum and they will make an interview to check your preparedness and suitability for the adoption. My thai was poor that time, but the chair lady spoke good English and with some favorite words from me, she was prepared to have me interviewed in english;me wife in Thai, though. They also did some questioning of our nephew, but as he was already some time living with us, there would be not too much changing for him.

Ultimately, we got approval and he got an official declaration for adoption approval with also a change in his family name.

Parent(s) of the child still alive will make it an awkward and lengthy procedure in Thailand and possibly your own country, it might be deemed a "soft adoption" which doesn't help, at all.

are you and your wife Thai and the child is Thai also? you better contact DCY at http://www.dcy.go.th/webnew/oppnews/  here you will find their phone contact details, however be ready for a lengthy process, good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Archived