What has Thailand given back to all pensioners who have moved here.

nasa123

For my part, I have gotten a bit ???? but otherwise mostly headaches when exstantion is to be renewed and headaches every 3 months and lots of stress what about you? Of course, some of you have gonorrhea +++ but with your life.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visa: 1 time per year renewal and every 90 days the '90 day reporting'. All in all something like two hours per year. After arrival here (many years ago) I have put 800.000 Baht in the bank voor visa renewal. In those days around 17.000 Euro's and thanks to the exchange rate that's now around 22.000 Euro's.

What did I get back: lots of good weather, food, lots of nice people I am near many very interesting countries to visit.

I find that I am having a good life....

What do thai's need to "give back"?  The Thai are a people and we are the temporary visitors in their Kingdom.  The people, the food, and overall cost of living are all positives in my opinion

I lived in the USA for 60 years and do not believe I got back anything that I did not work for, pay taxes for, or pay insurance for.   Even visiting "National Parks" and "public beaches" costs money in the USA

Cannot find data on the economic input of European and american full time residents, but likely fairly small (not including tourists)  maybe 6%:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand   

An enjoyable place to live in which I've found the people by and large friendly.

A country that allowed me to skirt visa regulations for a decade with impunity 1992-2009 really.

Some of the best beaches I've ever visited and camped. Absolutely cheap national parks to camp.

Ease to travel about the nation in cheap and relatively comfortable transportation.

A country that allows me to stay year on year for a few hours of paperwork and 400k banked.

Despite prices sort of skyrocketing, reasonable low cost standard of living.

A wife that that never given me a moment's trouble in ten years. Makes almost zero demands on my finances. Family is hard working.

Coming out of retirement, a second career in which I am now banking 40k a month on basic monthly savings.

A previous job that paid me for 4-5 months outside the classroom while making 55k pm.

Some amazing years as a younger man using Thailand as a base. Thermae1, Soi0 and Pattaya 97-04.

In Bangkok I appreciate all the young people about me. I enjoy teaching, having young people about me. It makes me feel so much more alive and youthful. All the beautiful women in Bangkok.

I dont recall Thailand never rolling out a red carpet for me. Things are becoming complicated and to this end I will never buy a condo here and in fact completely changing my retirement strategy.

What I resent is after being married ten years is not being given PR, allowed to buy condo without my wife making claim upon divorce and the inability to buy a home/land.

I will state the bureaucracy is way out of hand. Needing to report upon arrival and reporting when traveling domestically is the most assinine thing I've heard about in my 30 years in Asia. US doesn't do it. Communist China doesn't do it. What's worse is it's not consistently enforced and there's no detailed information how to follow the rules.

Another bit of absolute stupidity is laying blame on the foreigners when Thais (landlords) bureaucrats (Immigration) make mistakes. We pay both with penalties and fines. Truly Kafkaesque.

I'm unhappy at the developments but I think those that cant meet the old requirements and had lied on their affadavits have no place to harbor bitterness or resentment. I'm not necessarily saying this is the OP.

So many countries to see, adventures to be had but Thailand was never about soaking up the Thai culture. It's about high standards at low costs and sweet prostitutes that don't make you feel like a loser when you employ their services. That's really if we are honest why so many single men just can't leave. Philippines is dirty and dangerous, Cambodia is undeveloped and gritty, Vietnam is run by communists and will always have a bead on you. So the party is over.

Don't go away mad, just go away

OP is deluded. Lets face it majority are pensioners trying to scratch out a living and trying to live like a thai in cheap rooms and dining on street food.

Thailand gave you the above plus 50 baht happy hour beers and cheap happy endings

Be happy with that or go home and be stung by the real world. Up to you ! 

For many it has simply taken. Best try to organise your life to get all the benefits with few of the costs ... stay in Thailand for a few months and stay in other countries in between ... avoid all the hassles and embrace the variety.

A loving wife, a best friend, a warm extended family, a pleasant relaxing village environment.A property/land and lifestyle I could never have obtained in my previous country.

Very little to be worried or concerned about.

Thats what I have gained.

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

Thailand does not give much to it’s own citizens , whatever made you feel Thailand should give something to foreigners?

Best, the OP doesn't go into detail  although he does come up with the off the wall  words of "Of course, some of you have gonorrhea +++ but with your life."

Please help me out  and explain where you read he wrote anything implying he expected Thailand should give something to foreigners.    It's not very nice to state someone said something they clearly didn't say.     I think he merely asked a question.

TIA for your reply. 

35 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

For my part, I have gotten a bit ???? but otherwise mostly headaches when exstantion is to be renewed and headaches every 3 months and lots of stress what about you? Of course, some of you have gonorrhea +++ but with your life.

Have you always been like that, or is this a new version of you since living in Thailand? 

Since I stopped working and moved to Sabailand 6 odd years ago, my threshold for headaches and stress is lower than it has ever been.   Which still surprises and annoys the shit out of me when compared to the person I used to be.

I think, and agree with other posters, that too much exposure to TVF can contribute to the formation of a sour, cynical disposition - everything runs through that filter.  

Also knew in advance (but failed to act on it) that you have to keep active, physically and mentally, lest your brain and body muscles atrophy; and that can also contribute to a degradation in motivation/energy, critical thinking, and how you deal with routine tasks as well as problems and undesired outcomes that are sure to arise - especially here. 

All that + the natural aging process, for some, shortens the fuse for dealing with BS.

1 hour ago, Halfaboy said:

Visa: 1 time per year renewal and every 90 days the '90 day reporting'. All in all something like two hours per year. After arrival here (many years ago) I have put 800.000 Baht in the bank voor visa renewal. In those days around 17.000 Euro's and thanks to the exchange rate that's now around 22.000 Euro's.

What did I get back: lots of good weather, food, lots of nice people I am near many very interesting countries to visit.

I find that I am having a good life....

Well said... and I add 'gained permission to live in another country'.

Why should Thailand 'give you back' anything?  many of us live here for very different reasons, 'getting something back' is not really the point of the exercise.  Unless you mean, what positives do you get from living here as opposed to the negatives,  That is a different question of course. If asked, I always say, that I am as happy living in Thailand as I would be living anywhere else that I can think of. Not an unqualified reply, but it's the best that I can come up with. 

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

An enjoyable place to live in which I've found the people by and large friendly.

A country that allowed me to skirt visa regulations for a decade with impunity 1992-2009 really.

Some of the best beaches I've ever visited and camped. Absolutely cheap national parks to camp.

Ease to travel about the nation in cheap and relatively comfortable transportation.

A country that allows me to stay year on year for a few hours of paperwork and 400k banked.

A wife that that never given me a moment's trouble in ten years. Makes almost zero demands on my finances. Family is hard working.

Coming out of retirement, a second career in which I am now banking 40k a month on basic monthly savings.

A previous job that paid me for 4-5 months outside the classroom while making 55k pm.

Some amazing years as a younger man using Thailand as a base. Thermae1, Soi0 and Pattaya 97-04.

In Bangkok I appreciate all the young people about me. I enjoy teaching, having young people about me. It makes me feel so much more alive and youthful. All the beautiful women in Bangkok.

I dont recall Thailand never rolling out a red carpet for me. Things are becoming complicated and to this end I will never buy a condo here and in fact completely changing my retirement strategy.

What I resent is after being married ten years is not being given PR, allowed to buy condo without my wife making claim upon divorce and the inability to buy a home/land.

I will state the bureaucracy is way out of hand. Needing to report upon arrival and reporting when traveling domestically is the most assinine thing I've heard about in my 30 years in Asia. US doesn't do it. Communist China doesn't do it. What's worse is it's not consistently enforced and there's no detailed information how to follow the rules.

Another bit of absolute stupidity is laying blame on the foreigners when Thais (landlords) bureaucrats (Immigration) make mistakes. We pay both with penalties and fines. Truly Kafkaesque.

I'm unhappy at the developments but I think those that cant meet the old requirements and had lied on their affadavits have no place to harbor bitterness or resentment. I'm not necessarily saying this is the OP.

So many countries to see, adventures to be had but Thailand was never about soaking up the Thai culture. It's about high standards at low costs and sweet prostitutes that don't make you feel like a loser when you employ their services. That's really if we are honest why so many single men just can't leave. Philippines is dirty and dangerous, Cambodia is undeveloped and gritty, Vietnam is run by communists and will always have a bead on you. So the party is over.

Yeah ok ok ok but what you got apart from all that?

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

So many countrieJus to see, adventures to be had but Thailand was never about soaking up the Thai culture. It's about high standards at low costs and sweet prostitutes that don't make you feel like a loser when you employ their services. That's really if we are honest why so many single men just can't leave. Philippines is dirty and dangerous, Cambodia is undeveloped and gritty, Vietnam is run by communists and will always have a bead on you. So the party is over.

Just a wonderful post that to me captures the essence of things past, present and probably future.  It was a great run.  Going forward, the rules and regulations are getting perverse and burdensome. 

Archived