What has Thailand given back to all pensioners who have moved here.

nasa123

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats a relative statement, most/lots posting on Thaivisa, most/lots amongst friends and neighbours ?

Its easy to get that impression from the vocal minority posting on Thaivisa.

Happy and staying threads dont get any traction.

I just answering the topic question.

and since in recent years it only has been made more complicated to stay therefore my reply is negative. You know this too.

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

I am not sure I understand your complaint. Are you saying a sovereign state has no right to try to keep financially-challenged individuals out of their country?

It's not a complaint, it's a statement.

In my opinion, Thailand is hiding behind their "sovereign state right" to create unrealistic financial requirements to acquire a visa to reside here. 

They could up it from 65k to 100k a month, and up the 800k to 1.5 miliion.  Most expats would not need anywhere near these amounts of money to live comfortably here.

You have to see it for what it really is.  Just an easy and cheap way to bring foreign currency into the Thai economy. 

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Most expats seem to be dissatisfied and lots are packing up.

i cant remember any positive thing  has changed for expats in last years only issues became more overcomplicated so we feeling unwelcome.

Which isn't a good advertisement for the next generation of foreign expats considering which country to retire to.

Why does the OP think that Thailand should 'give back' anything for retirees?  

Are they supposed to be honored and grateful that these old people have moved here?  I think they just would be happy if we meet the visa requirements and keep out of trouble.  

59 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Which isn't a good advertisement for the next generation of foreign expats considering which country to retire to.

I honestly don’t understand why this is? We bringing money in and creating Thai jobs and taxes revenue. Nearly most of the farangs here are non criminals in my home country the government would roll out the red carpet for such folks..

On 3/30/2019 at 11:43 PM, Destiny1990 said:

I honestly don’t understand why this is? We bringing money in and creating Thai jobs and taxes revenue. Nearly most of the farangs here are non criminals in my home country the government would roll out the red carpet for such folks..

Who knows why, but it could all go pear shaped as I, and many others, leave for a large portion of the year, if not altogether, then, you have have new potential retirees who will no longer see Thailand as a viable and user friendly place to retire to.  

Interesting times ahead. 

On 3/30/2019 at 1:19 PM, Peterw42 said:

Thats a relative statement, most/lots posting on Thaivisa, most/lots amongst friends and neighbours ?

Its easy to get that impression from the vocal minority posting on Thaivisa.

Happy and staying threads dont get any traction.

2 week wait now in Vientiane.  Over the next 12 months that's sure to blow out to 3 or 4 weeks.  How long before the Thai government realize their land boarder crossings are no longer sustainable in their current format?  Then, you have all the refusal of visas, and those denied entry at the airports. 

So, you can expect a lot more threads from those locked out of Thailand, who will be forced to leave. 

Are they a minority, yes, but still, that's thousands of people, and it will not take long for word to spread that Thailand is closed for business for expats not meeting the 65k / 800k / 400k requirement. 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:10 AM, jak2002003 said:

Why does the OP think that Thailand should 'give back' anything for retirees?  

Are they supposed to be honored and grateful that these old people have moved here?  I think they just would be happy if we meet the visa requirements and keep out of trouble.  

Well I don't know about 'giving back' but the certainly is a case to be made that it seems to be getting harder, especially for married retirees.

They don't want that, and to make it so onerous just to push you into the ฿800K worthlessly sitting in the bank retirement extension.

I'd lived in Thailand close to 10 years, we got legally married since we were applying for a green card for my wife to go to the US.

I was up for an extension, and I thought lets go for a marriage extension, easier, less money in the bank!

Pictures of us stood in our bedroom, in front of the house, having to drag people to make affidavits that we were living together, and on and on. And that happens every year!

I am very happy now to be a tourist for a few months a year, while my wife is a permanent resident of the United States, with none of the BS I used to have to go through

Maybe not giving back, but appreciate the fact the farangs contribute, and maybe after x number of years just make it easier

15 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I don't know about 'giving back' but the certainly is a case to be made that it seems to be getting harder, especially for married retirees.

They don't want that, and to make it so onerous just to push you into the ฿800K worthlessly sitting in the bank retirement extension.

I'd lived in Thailand close to 10 years, we got legally married since we were applying for a green card for my wife to go to the US.

I was up for an extension, and I thought lets go for a marriage extension, easier, less money in the bank!

Pictures of us stood in our bedroom, in front of the house, having to drag people to make affidavits that we were living together, and on and on. And that happens every year!

I am very happy now to be a tourist for a few months a year, while my wife is a permanent resident of the United States, with none of the BS I used to have to go through

Maybe not giving back, but appreciate the fact the farangs contribute, and maybe after x number of years just make it easier

You make a good point, GB2.

Why can't they have some type of "loyalty program" where after 5 years of stay, less paperwork.  After 10 years stay, less money.  After 15 years stay etc.  Or, something like this. 

Of course, these would be years of stay without coming under police notice or overstay, but treating a retiree on his 10 extension like a new applicant is insulting year after year.

Archived