Many 'march for love' in New Zealand as mosques reopen

rooster59

Many 'march for love' in New Zealand as mosques reopen

By Tom Westbrook

800x800 (4).jpg

People take part in the "March for Love" at North Hagley Park after the last week's mosque attacks in Christchurch, New Zealand March 23, 2019. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

CHRISTCHURCH (Reuters) - About 3,000 people walked through Christchurch in a 'march for love' early on Saturday, honouring the 50 worshippers massacred in the New Zealand city a week ago, as the mosques where the shooting took place reopened for prayers.

Carrying placards with signs such as, "He wanted to divide us, he only made us stronger", "Muslims welcome, racists not", and "Kia Kaha" - Maori for 'stay strong', people walked mostly in silence or softly sang a Maori hymn of peace.

"We feel like hate has brought a lot of darkness at times like this and love is the strongest cure to light the city out of that darkness," said Manaia Butler, 16, one of the student organisers of the march.

With armed police on site, the Al Noor mosque, where more than 40 of the victims were killed by a suspected white supremacist, reopened on Saturday. Police said they were reopening the nearby Linwood mosque as well.

"It is the place where we pray, where we meet, we'll be back, yeah," Ashif Shaikh told reporters outside the Al Noor mosque. He said he was there on the day of the shooting in which two of his housemates were killed.

Most victims of the country's worst mass shooting were migrants or refugees from countries such as Pakistan, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Turkey, Somalia, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

At Saturday's march security was heavy, with dozens of armed police officers and buses parked sideways across city streets to close them off for the march.

Shila Nair, a migrant from India who works for a migrant advocacy group called Shakti, travelled from Auckland to take part in the march.

"The support gives us hope and optimism that migrant and refugee communities in this country can have a level playing field," she said.

"We appreciate the solidarity, but it must be carried on. It cannot be allowed to fizzle out. This is how social change happens."

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, who swiftly denounced the shooting as terrorism and has participated in many of the tributes and funerals for the victims, has announced a ban on military-style semi-automatic and assault rifles, some of the guns used by the shooter.

Ardern and New Zealand have been widely praised for the outpouring of empathy and unity and the response to the attacks. Dubai's ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum thanked her on Twitter late on Friday.

"Thank you @jacindaardern and New Zealand for your sincere empathy and support that has won the respect of 1.5 billion Muslims after the terrorist attack that shook the Muslim community around the world," he said on Twitter.

Muslims account for just over 1 percent of New Zealand's 4.8-million population, a 2013 census showed, most of whom were born overseas.

On Friday the Muslim call to prayer was broadcast nationwide on television and radio and about 20,000 people attended a prayer service in the park opposite Al Noor mosque in a show of solidarity.

Many women have also donned headscarves to show their support.

In Mecca, Islam's holiest site, a special prayer was held after the Friday sermon for the victims of the attack, according to the Saudi news website Sabq.

Most of the dead were laid to rest at a mass burial in Christchurch on Friday, when 26 victims were interred. Others have been buried at private ceremonies, or repatriated to their home countries for funerals.

Shahadat Hossain, whose brother Mojammel Haque was killed in the attack, told Reuters that she would bring his body back to Bangladesh.

"I don't know when our family will be able to come out of this grief," she said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-23

I like most westerners don’t trust Muslims but murdering people in their place of worship is wrong it’s criminal in the name of religion I myself pledge to keep an open mind and heart kudos NZ my deepest condolences 

More virtue signalling

Sorry, but the more the western world appeases and conforms to them the stronger they become, and without being racist or a true madman, when will people realize that they wont be happy until everybody is of their faith and under their control

Not condoning the attack in any shape or form, but why the massive coverage of these events when other faiths are routinely massacred the world over by Muslims in the name of religion with barely a paragraph in the local rags.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

More virtue signalling

Sorry, but the more the western world appeases and conforms to them the stronger they become, and without being racist or a true madman, when will people realize that they wont be happy until everybody is of their faith and under their control

Not condoning the attack in any shape or form, but why the massive coverage of these events when other faiths are routinely massacred the world over by Muslims in the name of religion with barely a paragraph in the local rags.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I could not agree more. I have not posted on any of these threads regarding the atrocity in NZ. because I know I would probably be censored..... until now.....I too cannot condone any attack on another Human, but.............

I am tired of the one way rhetoric that is always given at these times............Can anyone tell me why the same horror and outcry was not meted out when ISIS bombed a Christian Church in the Philippines in late January killing 20 worshippers.........how many here actually heard of the incident............

6 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Can anyone tell me why the same horror and outcry was not meted out when ISIS bombed a Christian Church in the Philippines in late January killing 20 worshippers.........how many here actually heard of the incident............

Simple - it was in a Third World country, not one populated by People Like Us.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I could not agree more. I have not posted on any of these threads regarding the atrocity in NZ. because I know I would probably be censored..... until now.....I too cannot condone any attack on another Human, but.............

I am tired of the one way rhetoric that is always given at these times............Can anyone tell me why the same horror and outcry was not meted out when ISIS bombed a Christian Church in the Philippines in late January killing 20 worshippers.........how many here actually heard of the incident............

Probably the same reason that there's virtually no publicity given when Islamists kill other muslims Other muslims by far constitute the largest target of violent Islamists. But I bet that's news to you.

3 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Simple - it was in a Third World country, not one populated by People Like Us.

It's possible that these massacres are reported by local press in there own languages. News organizations such as Reuters often just republish local reports. They are much more likely to do that if they are in the English language. 

2 hours ago, sonos99 said:

It's possible that these massacres are reported by local press in there own languages. News organizations such as Reuters often just republish local reports. They are much more likely to do that if they are in the English language. 

English language media coverage in the Philippines

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am tired of the one way rhetoric that is always given at these times

Yes. So true. We never hear of the violence of extremist Muslims in mainstream media. Weird how western media never covers Islamic terrorism anywhere on the globe... One way street for certain.

Just googled this. There are many reports

NY Times

CNN

Straits Times

Fox News 

CBS News 

I regularly listen to LBC, a popular British radio station and I do not remember hearing one word about this atrocity neither on the news nor on the phone in programs.

But like the BBC and the National Union of Journalists LBC go out of their way to avoid painting Islam or Muslims in a bad light whenever they possibly can.

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I regularly listen to LBC, a popular British radio station and I do not remember hearing one word about this atrocity neither on the news nor on the phone in programs.

But like the BBC and the National Union of Journalists LBC go out of their way to avoid painting Islam or Muslims in a bad light whenever they possibly can.

Here you go 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47018747

It was a terrible atrocity with no excuse. But the PC crowd can't help but make it worse.

Now there is the lunatic virtue signalling suggestion that the local rugby team change its name from "The Saracens", because that name might be offensive to Muslims.

It's an idea that is not only pointless, but most likely counter-productive. I mean, why not rename the town itself? Christchurch? How doubly offensive is that? Why not rename it Islamabad, or Mosqueville?

The great and the good have said that it is a good time to have "the conversation" about changing the Saracens' name. Conversation, my left foot. If you asked the NZ population about it, they would reject a change by, I reckon, 10 to 1 or more. Probably if you asked Muslims in NZ, they would reject the change. Because most of them just want to get on with their lives, not to be put at the centre of a contentious debate.

By pushing this idea, and claiming that it is to appease Muslim sensibilities, the activists are simply stoking extra resentment against Muslims who will be perceived (against their will) to be trying to tinker with established Kiwi traditions and practices.

As so often, PC attempts to solve an issue will end up exacerbating it.

2 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

It was a terrible atrocity with no excuse. But the PC crowd can't help but make it worse.

Now there is the lunatic virtue signalling suggestion that the local rugby team change its name from "The Saracens", because that name might be offensive to Muslims.

It's an idea that is not only pointless, but most likely counter-productive. I mean, why not rename the town itself? Christchurch? How doubly offensive is that? Why not rename it Islamabad, or Mosqueville?

The great and the good have said that it is a good time to have "the conversation" about changing the Saracens' name. Conversation, my left foot. If you asked the NZ population about it, they would reject a change by, I reckon, 10 to 1 or more. Probably if you asked Muslims in NZ, they would reject the change. Because most of them just want to get on with their lives, not to be put at the centre of a contentious debate.

By pushing this idea, and claiming that it is to appease Muslim sensibilities, the activists are simply stoking extra resentment against Muslims who will be perceived (against their will) to be trying to tinker with established Kiwi traditions and practices.

"The Crusaders" not the Saracens 

32 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

If you're going to to have a rant at least get your facts right. The team is called the Canterbury Crusaders. Saracens were Muslims who fought against the Christians during the Crusades.

The Saracens are also a rugby team in the UK. 

1 hour ago, sonos99 said:

If you're going to to have a rant at least get your facts right. The team is called the Canterbury Crusaders. Saracens were Muslims who fought against the Christians during the Crusades.

The Saracens are also a rugby team in the UK. 

Actually, at that time, Saracen meant Muslim Arabs.

33 minutes ago, 2tall said:

apply local logic: "this would not have happened if you didn't put a mosque there"

Unfortunately it's just the latest in a series of revenge tit for tat atrocities that we are going to have to contend with for the foreseeable future.

Or until politicians grasp the fact that different peoples with different ways of life, different moral standards and different religions cannot be made to live peaceably with each other all over the world.

In India Hindu attacks on Christians are on the rise with many Christians being murdered but because the victims are only Christians like the incident in January in the PI very little coverage coverage is given to these outrages in the MSM.

Many of these attacks would not have happened if you had not put a church there.

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

And we all know that People Like Us are the true haters in this world.

We don't do that.

People of other religions might murder their neighbours in their prayers.

Other people might assault people in the Underground.

But we don't.  We are civilised.

And if we do, then we're not civilised, and we are no better than the worst of our neighbours, we are no more than tribal crusaders, and have learned nothing in 1,000 years.

I hope we have learned, I hope we have moved forward, I hope we are better than our neighbours and our forebears, but I am not sure.

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Unfortunately it's just the latest in a series of revenge tit for tat atrocities that we are going to have to contend with for the foreseeable future.

Or until politicians grasp the fact that different peoples with different ways of life, different moral standards and different religions cannot be made to live peaceably with each other all over the world.

In India Hindu attacks on Christians are on the rise with many Christians being murdered but because the victims are only Christians like the incident in January in the PI very little coverage coverage is given to these outrages in the MSM.

Many of these attacks would not have happened if you had not put a church there.

Turn the other cheek. Jesus was quite clear on that.

We are better than that.  Indians might be thugees, we are not.  And we don't tolerate that nonsense in our society.  You can tit for tat until our own society is destroyed, but you will never improve anyone else by sinking to their level.

2 hours ago, RickBradford said:

So why are you so frightened of conversation?

Archived