Wilting in this heat

Liverpudlian

3 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I've been here 15 years this September, but also never been back to the UK. In fact, during those years, I've only been to Laos and Vietnam, apart from here.

So in those 15 years, the coldest I have experienced is 13 degrees, and it was <deleted> bitter, wooly hat and glove weather !

I am doing a toe tester back UK very soon ... at least we could wrap up and do brisk walks and back home for a bovril ,ermmm brandy. Here its total indoors 24/7.

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

downstairs windows open in

the day,have lots trees ,bushes and water around the house,which

keep it cool,you can feel the difference when you go outside.

I struggle with this? its 39c outside, all the windows are closed, inside the house is 29c, if I go outside its miserably hot & I live far from the city surrounded by trees with a reservoir at the bottom of the garden, how can it possibly be cooler with windows open or by going outside unless the house is like an oven? :shock1:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Good job you were not here for the year when instead of a rainy season after Songkran we had an extension of the hot season.

What year was this? 2016 was the hottest I remember it was miserable and I have been here over 30 years.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Sat on my patio (shaded), shirt off, upright fan on to supplement the sea breeze, glass of ice cold coke, just finished watching last night's footy. Off to an air conditioned mall in my air conditioned car and then out to an air conditioned restaurant/bar later.

What heat?

I just willingly pay the freight for whatever it cost for aircon in the house.   I don't worry about going elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

I struggle with this? its 39c outside, all the windows are closed, inside the house is 29c, if I go outside its miserably hot & I live far from the city surrounded by trees with a reservoir at the bottom of the garden, how can it possibly be cooler with windows open or by going outside unless the house is like an oven? :shock1:

That's your house,try opening the windows,the heat is just building up inside.If you are struggling now.....just wait.

regards worgeordie

51 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Often said England's equivalent of lumberjacks.

I always assumed that it was due to wearing women's clothing rather than the hard work though.

Ironically, Michael Palin's a Yorkshireman.

Says it all really. and its Sir Michael please, let's have a bit of respect for one of Yorkshire's own. . 

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

That's your house,try opening the windows,the heat is just building up inside.If you are struggling now.....just wait.

regards worgeordie

Thats my point - its hotter outside than it is inside, opening the windows will only equalise the temperature, better to keep house cool inside, that's why I have lots of insulation & AC, I worked in extreme heat for most of my working life, had enough of that ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I find that I don't want to use my pool in the daytime.  The water is too warm and hardly refreshing and the sun beating down makes it more like an endurance test than a pleasure  Best time for a swim is early morning, before the sun comes up, but I can't be arsed to get out of bed that early, I would rather stay in bed, in the air conditioning, for an hour or so longer. 

High water temps can even be deadly.  A few years ago, two competitive swimmers died from heatstroke in an ocean swimming event in Malaysia.  The water was to warm to cool their body heat increased by the exertion. Sad way to die. 

• Like 2

Man bunch of whiners.

No AC, Simple fan, relax in shade. Easy day. Must be terrible to live here and do not like the heat. Its either hot or REALLY hot Living indoors with 24 hr AC must suck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

High water temps can even be deadly.  A few years ago, two competitive swimmers died from heatstroke in an ocean swimming event in Malaysia.  The water was to warm to cool their body heat increased by the exertion. Sad way to die. 

Not only that, but I am constantly fighting algae blooms.  At 1,500 Baht a time for the treatment, which last 3 days, its an expensive addition to the garden. 

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

Man bunch of whiners.

No AC, Simple fan, relax in shade. Easy day. Must be terrible to live here and do not like the heat. Its either hot or REALLY hot Living indoors with 24 hr AC must suck.

My hero. Must be nice to live in the 1960s, calming somehow. 

It's fans all day for me and air-con just to sleep. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

My hero. Must be nice to live in the 1960s, calming somehow. 

It's fans all day for me and air-con just to sleep. 

Same here. Its not bad. A good fan in the heat of the day works perfect. A bit of Air Con at night to make it comfy and all good. I set AC temp at 25-26C. Light sheet on top. Wife and I sleep great.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, johng said:

walls made from Q-con blocks and again painted a light colour..shade trees in the right places...but whatever you do ( without aircon ) you'll only get it as cool as the ambient temperature of about 27-33 degrees C

Exactly, we did everything possible to build a house that would be affordable to keep cool and maintain a healthy environment to live in ???? 

8 minutes ago, johng said:

The house is exactly like an oven the concrete,steel,roof tiles etc  soak up the heat, capturing during the day and releasing it slowly over the night..there isn't much can be done about it except turn the aircon on.

Now if you  build a new house there are things that can be done to reduce the heat retention...things like having a roof with large overhangs of the walls, a ventilated ridge line or gables, light coloured sheet metal roof with urethane backing to deaden sound,windows that aren't facing the sun all day (or expensive  UV blocking glass )

walls made from Q-con blocks and again painted a light colour..shade trees in the right places...but whatever you do ( without aircon ) you'll only get it as cool as the ambient temperature of about 27-33 degrees C

yeah i have stayed in well shaded concrete bungalows before with only a fan inside but they are cool at night.... depends on the building and the surroundings...

6 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Same here. Its not bad. A good fan in the heat of the day works perfect. A bit of Air Con at night to make it comfy and all good. I set AC temp at 25-26C. Light sheet on top. Wife and I sleep great.

I have got to admit that our bedroom air-con  is set at 21 degrees. cat and wife don't complain, but she did spent 20 years in the UK,  so cold is no stranger to her, wife that is, not cat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1