Savannakhet visa "NON-O" requirements

Greetings,

long time lurker, first time poster and hoping to figure out what my options are visa wise.

I have a child with a thai woman, married when born, and due to not having enough money in the bank have had to recently switch from a non-o to a non-b, I have lived in thailand for well more than a decade now and with the recent changes im unsure of how to correctly address my situation and return to a non-o.

Recently I was informed that if you make a visa run to savannakhet you can get a 1 year non-o visa as long as you have all the documentation in order to show that you have a thai child (original birth certificates, ID cards, marriage license, house book exc), but you are not required to show a given amount inside of a bank account.

My intent is not to break any laws, i am just confused about how to go through the correct process given the recent changes in the law, and i am working in the country but given the restrictions on a non-b visa i would really prefer to return to a non-o.

What precise documentation is needed to apply for a non-o at savannakhet and, if the option is available, does anyone know of any transport or guides who can assist with the visa run and the document processing?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by localexp

5 minutes ago, localexp said:

i am working in the country but given the restrictions on a non-b visa i would really prefer to return to a non-o

First question is will office issue a work permit on a non o visa?  Believe it is a problem at some locations, where they require the B visa.

Savannakhet does not issue multiple entry non-o visas based upon being the parent of a Thai. They will only issue them if you are married to a Thai.

Penang will issue them but you have to show proof of 400k baht income and/or proof of income.

Since you are the legal father of your child by way of marriage you could apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. You would need to have 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income.

Edit: You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. You can use your income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement.

the work permit was issued on a non b visa.

so being a parent of a thai is not enough you also have to be married.

and im not concerned about multiple rentry non-o, single entry is perfectly ok.

also should be mentioned i am changing jobs soon, thus the concern about the non-b expiring because im given 24 hours after going to immigration to report.

Edited by localexp
more information

44 minutes ago, localexp said:

and im not concerned about multiple rentry non-o, single entry is perfectly ok.

No problem to get the single entry non-o visa there or at Vientiane.

46 minutes ago, localexp said:

also should be mentioned i am changing jobs soon, thus the concern about the non-b expiring because im given 24 hours after going to immigration to report.

I assume you have an extension based upon working not a 90 day entry from a non-b visa.

You could apply for a 60 day extension extension to visit your child when the extension ends.

i am currently on a non-b tied to a work contract, the visa lasts until the day the contract ends and was for about 7-ish months.

i will have to go to the work dept and then to immigration straight after, at which point i am told ill have 24 hours to leave. can i, the moment everything is revoked at immigration, immediately then request an extension based on my child?

having an extra 60 days to get everything sorted paperwork wise for the new job would resolve many problems.

thank you.

4 minutes ago, localexp said:

i am currently on a non-b tied to a work contract, the visa lasts until the day the contract ends and was for about 7-ish months.

i will have to go to the work dept and then to immigration straight after, at which point i am told ill have 24 hours to leave. can i, the moment everything is revoked at immigration, immediately then request an extension based on my child?

having an extra 60 days to get everything sorted paperwork wise for the new job would resolve many problems.

thank you.

Did you come in on a Non-B Visa from a consulate abroad, then receive an "extension of stay" from immigration before the visa's 90-days permitted-stay ended?

If you have not received the 60-day extension to "visit family" since you first began receiving extension(s) to your original visa, then you can get that extension.  It can only be done once.

Worst-case, you could apply for an extension which would be denied, and get 7-days to leave.

@JackThompson

my situation is a bit more complicated, so shout if i miss something.

i have been on a non-o for years, recently i made a visa run to kanchanaburi and got only a 30-day, not a 60-day. i never requested an extension during those 30-days because i was shortly after switched to a non-b.

from what i currently am able to comprehend, if i make a roundtrip flight out of the country i can come back with a 60-days, but tourist visas arnt always granted at the border while they seem to be normal at the airports.

Edited by localexp

6 hours ago, localexp said:

@JackThompson

my situation is a bit more complicated, so shout if i miss something.

i have been on a non-o for years, recently i made a visa run to kanchanaburi and got only a 30-day, not a 60-day.

That is normal when entering "Visa Exempt".

i never requested an extension during those 30-days because i was shortly after switched to a non-b.

You changed to a Non-B while in Thailand from a visa-exempt entry?  I assume you got a Non-B 90-days stamp at first, then extended near the end of that 90-days for a 1-year permitted-stay?

In any case, as you have not applied for the "60-day extension" to Visit Thai Family since your last new entry to the country, you should be eligible to apply for it now.

from what i currently am able to comprehend, if i make a roundtrip flight out of the country i can come back with a 60-days, but tourist visas arnt always granted at the border while they seem to be normal at the airports.

Unless you get a Tourist Visa from a consulate abroad before returning, you will only get 30-days upon entry.  You could extend this for 30-days based on Tourism, or 60-days based on having Thai family.

Alternatively, you could forgo the flight out and back, and just get the 60-day stay, at this stage:

7 hours ago, localexp said:

So yes - instead of leaving immediately, or applying for the "denied but get 7 days" extension, you could apply for the 60-day extension. 

Be sure and check what your office wants for the extension based on your Thai child in-advance of that day - so no surprises.