BANGKOK 19 April 2019 17:17

Posted (edited)

So, any ideas as to what the Thai property market is going to do over next decade? Up? Down? Flat?

With the Aussie bubble popping, I just wonder about here.

Is it overvalued now? Of course, if you hold for 30-40 years, it is cheap now -- but what about the next decade?

Edited by FruitPudding

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

People have been saying the Thai market is on it's knees for the last 8 years

If you have no right to live in this country, there seems little point in buying property here for cash.

The housing market is irrelevant.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you have no right to live in this country, there seems little point in buying property here for cash.
The housing marker is irrelevant.
Doesn't seem to be stopping anybody except for maybe a very limited minority.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

there is no correlation between AU EU USA or western real estate markets and Thailand.

since 1997 it is driven by a completely different set of forces. 

Interesting.

I would love it if you could elaborate when you have time. I never considered this

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Looking at the quality of buildings in Thailand, i would say after 30-40 years the value of the building is about zero, so the value depends on how much the price of the land increased

True.

Maintanence is also a factor.

I reckon build quality is getting better though. I worked as an electricial back west. The buildings nowadays here seem to be built to a decent standard. Although, I aint an expert on foundations

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

The buildings nowadays here seem to be built to a decent standard. Although, I aint an expert on foundations

They reversed the live an neutral wires coming from the meter to my fusebox.

They didn't realise they were supposed to screw the lid of the septic tank onto the tank.

That was two major dangerous faults when they built my house a few years back.

But the foundations/concrete and roof are fine.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I would love it if you could elaborate when you have time. I never considered this

House prices in the UK are artificially forced up by planning permissions restricting land available for building.

I know its the same in Oz, and women force nearly every adult to live in a home of their own, forcing up prices again.

In Thailand you can build (almost) anywhere you like, and they're happy living 10 to a room.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

To know what the market is going to do would entail knowing what its currently doing, lol

Any status, commentary, speculation, prediction, of the Thai property market is often not based on much data, there often is not much data out there.

In the west you can have access to any range of property data from the amount of new loans being written to the last 5 sales in your street, rental returns, auction clearance rates, percentage gains/losses etc.

Without hard data, its opinion based on nothing.

The status of the house/condo next door is unknown, last sales price, occupied/unoccupied, how many unsold in the estate or condo block etc. I still dont know what "empty" condo means, owned but unoccupied, built by the developer but unsold.

Often asking prices are based on what the guy next door is asking and he is basing it on what the guy on the 5th floor is asking, meanwhile condos are changing hands in the same block for half that asking price.

I have always believed a good indication of a properties actual value is the rental return, if it gets 2% rental return its overpriced or the bubble is about to burst, if it gets 10% its good value. In Thailand some segments of the market get good rental returns. In the absence of any other data in Thailand its maybe the only indicator that means anything.

Thanks for the informative reply!

Could you explain more about the % rental return? I don't understand.

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They reversed the live an neutral wires coming from the meter to my fusebox.

They didn't realise they were supposed to screw the lid of the septic tank onto the tank.

That was two major dangerous faults when they built my house a few years back.

But the foundations/concrete and roof are fine.

What do you mean they reversed the live and neutral?

I do agree, there are some cowboys especially in electrics. I had to put the earth rod in myself here. The "spark" was laughing at me.

5 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Thanks for the informative reply!

Could you explain more about the % rental return? I don't understand.

Are you on a wind up ?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

What do you mean they reversed the live and neutral?

You're an electrician and you don't know?

It means the neutral wires in your house are live all the time, touch them even if the fuse is OFF and you get jolted.

Edited by BritManToo