Relocating to Isaan

kirkieb

21 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Happily (for me), that wife and the others are long-gone.  I have a very good Canadian friend who retired last year and lives a short distance from Bueng Kan.  He's also a radio ham like me (but he can't get a ham licence in Thailand - it depends on one's nationality).

He should give podcasting a go... ????

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Is that what makes an interesting town, a bearable one?

If so, Buriram has an airport and 3 universities. Best put it on your list.

Quality Universities can have a very beneficial effect (economical, etc.) -- and as a side benefit -- adds a little eye candy to the area ????

Just now, bluesofa said:

Is that similar to fly fishing?

I am sure there are some fly fishing podcasters out there.  Pretty much anything goes in that broadcast space... you just need an internet connection, computer and a mic (and maybe a camera) to record and something to do basic editing for sound or video.

38 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Another thing to keep in mind, is where you are going to "boomboom" when you get a bit bored with you wife. In an Issan village, every smile you dispense to the local "hotties" will get reported to you MIL. I get all my medical done at Bumrungrad which is a stone throw from Nana.  And then it remains a small world... ????

He doesn't need to go to BKK to have fun ! Udon Thaini is a lot closer! Thai love link ladies in Udon are looking to have a fun night out! Tons of bars and things to do. Many Hospitals 

8 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Is that what makes an interesting town, a bearable one? If so, Buriram has an airport and 3 universities. Best put it on your list.

I commented only on these Isaan towns I have visited, and even then not all of them.  Apparently Buriram's airport is closer to where I want to go next time, so perhaps I'll try it, although I notice Thaismile doesn't go there, which means Don Meuang, so maybe not

43 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Another thing to keep in mind, is where you are going to "boomboom" when you get a bit bored with you wife. In an Issan village, every smile you dispense to the local "hotties" will get reported to you MIL. I get all my medical done at Bumrungrad which is a stone throw from Nana.  And then it remains a small world... ????

Kite flying is very popular. Check it out.

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

mork ordination

Mindy's friend?

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Noise! Yeah get used to that. Blood from the ears loud...weddings, funerals, mork ordination, music from 5am at ear shattering volume

But not on a daily, let alone weekly basis.

And if the village is too much, move out into the sticks.

When i built my house here, the next nearest dwelling was 1.5 kms away.

32 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I commented only on these Isaan towns I have visited, and even then not all of them.  Apparently Buriram's airport is closer to where I want to go next time, so perhaps I'll try it, although I notice Thaismile doesn't go there, which means Don Meuang, so maybe not

I've flown to and from Buriram a few times. Never had a problem with Don Meuang.

13 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

But strangely, many I know, in Udon Thani, have better English language grammatical and spelling skills than you appear to have !

So as for being uneducated ( well I think that is what you were implying),  then you are clearly unaware.  As for being lazy, yes many are but that is the case everywhere, is it not ? Remember, before the trucking in of illegal, poorly paid people from Cambodia/Myannmar,  it was an Issan workforce that built most of modern Bangkok.

Still guess you feel at home with your own kind enjoying the polluted air in Bangkok.   Experts say over time it may indeed dull the senses and lead to irrational behavior. Looks like it effects some quicker than others. ????????

So my spelling and grammar are poor, but my observation is spot on.

Didn't know I needed an English test to post. 

But thanks anyway, grammar Nazi 

6 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

So my spelling and grammar are poor, but my observation is spot on.

Didn't know I needed an English test to post. 

But thanks anyway, grammar Nazi 

You observations are your observations, but you generalizations to include everyone that you did not observe (Isan) is the same rationalization that leads to racism and prejudice.  Simply put, your statistical sample is small and not diverse enough to make any conclusions on the generalization you made.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:18 AM, Nsp64 said:

After pattaya , issan will be a real leap of faith.

Tried it for 6 months after living in bangkok for 5 years.

Benn back in bangkok for the last 4 years.

Hated it, the people aren't salt of the earth,  they're jealous I'll educated and lazy.

This should be Pinned !!! OP are you a redneck hillbilly? You ever wonder why Thais in that region have ears the size of giant wing nuts? dont do it.

On 3/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, kirkieb said:

a hospital that can prescribe my drugs all covered by Aust Gvt.

...how can your medications be 'covered' by the Australian Govt?  Medicare does not refund for overseas purchases... do they??   My experience is that the private hospitals in KK charge far too much for prescriptions.. but are very good for consultations.. There a 2 good pharmacies in Kalasin where I can get my meds over the counter.. no prescriptions.. (hypertension & cholesterol lowering drugs).. message me and I can direct you to the one I use if you like.  There is a new private hospital opening soon in Kalasin.. next to the Tesco Lotus.. worth checking out when the doors open..  Another option that I am about to try is getting my prescriptions from the Kalsin Public Hospital through a local Dr.. There is a new young Dr who says she can arrange this for me.. sounds like it will be much cheaper than the private hospitals or the pharmacies.. Again .. message me and I can give you her location (she speaks excellent English)..   It sounds to me like you won't be to far from Kuchinarai..  I have a friend who lives there.. he says the hospital is good there.. he has had operations there and gets medications there.. worth checking if you will be near..   For internet.. 3bb is good if you can get it where you are.. Welcome to Isaan and good luck with everything.. 

I have been in isan for nearly 3 years and went from bkk to kalasin. We did 18 months in kalasin and if you paid me 10 million anything to live there i'd decline. No amount could tempt me. Hands down the most forgotten area I've ever come across. Moved to Khon Kaen Oct 2016 and the differentials are massive. We do live in the city so maybe outside the ring road it's got that kalasin feel about it but within the ring road has been good for us so far.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:33 AM, ThaiBunny said:

Work around the house - that's why I employ servants

Looking after animals - ditto

And yourself - ditto

Pleasure is:

meals with friends (ie. other westerners or Thais who speak English)

reading

exercise of the horizontal jogging variety, with multiple fellow joggers

And prey tell, Princess... did the servants type your post ? Do you actually have sufficient strength, motivation to participate in horizontal jogging ? Oh, I get it, you just lay there & the servants provide the exertion ? I don't understand why one would choose to live in a third world- developing country if not prepared to "mingle with the natives"  Let me guess, you live in Pattaya or Bangkok ?

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

...how can your medications be 'covered' by the Australian Govt?  Medicare does not refund for overseas purchases... do they??   

Maybe as a TPI veteran through Veterans Affairs?

and Moved because the Wife wanted this move...

An important point.  I imagine many foreigners live in Isaan purely because their wife comes from that region. 

IMHO, the reason for moving to live in Isaan should be because YOU want to live there - otherwise I see problems on the horizon.

For me, happily single, happy with my own company, (but enjoy the local women without having to look over my shoulder for the irate wife with the garden shears), happy with my hobbies, non-drinker, khaen-player ==> Yep, I'm moving to Isaan because I want to move there ????

On 3/24/2019 at 9:00 AM, geoffbezoz said:

Remember, before the trucking in of illegal, poorly paid people from Cambodia/Myannmar,  it was an Issan workforce that built most of modern Bangkok.

And not to forget that Pattaya was built by Isaan girls.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:53 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

I am sure there are some fly fishing podcasters out there.  Pretty much anything goes in that broadcast space... you just need an internet connection, computer and a mic (and maybe a camera) to record and something to do basic editing for sound or video.

Sounds more like just another vlogger than a podcaster to me. Podcasts have music, news and the like whereas vlogs just have aimless, pretentious stream of conscientiousness rubbish from people who think they're the first ones to actually go anywhere.

3 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I have been in isan for nearly 3 years and went from bkk to kalasin. We did 18 months in kalasin and if you paid me 10 million anything to live there i'd decline. No amount could tempt me. Hands down the most forgotten area I've ever come across. Moved to Khon Kaen Oct 2016 and the differentials are massive. We do live in the city so maybe outside the ring road it's got that kalasin feel about it but within the ring road has been good for us so far.

It's even worse in Buriram (but not much worse).

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Sounds more like just another vlogger than a podcaster to me.

Podcasting can be video or without video (inclusive of vlogging).  For people interested in broadcasting it is a cheap modern way to do it.  For me it is more a pain, though I have been thankful to others that have taken the time to do educational ones that have helped me.  I have considered doing it, even though for me it would be more of a pain than enjoyment... but maybe when I am confident enough in the material I am working through I might make an attempt (not to mention it has been a good 30 years since I taught any labs).  Unfortunately we have built this wonderful tool called the internet that has great promise in areas like education -- and most of us spend it posting and receiving stupid videos of cats ...

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's the shocking valuations too though Nan. The awful driving and I mean noticeable difference. Went back 1st time in 3 months the sea of changes to local business I don't think is business related I think the people are genuinely bored to death there. 

36 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Either your on the run or you really are under the thumb from the Mrs to live in kalasin. Had to put my foot down on that place I had the Samaritans on speed dial.

Good luck. You need to be a specific type of person to go and live in the middle of nowhere. Personally I would hate it. Whenever we go to visit the family I hate it and cant wait to get back to my home just outside Pattaya. I cant even sleep in the village, we stay in a nearby hotel.

Archived