To the Ex Military Among us - Does that background make living here easier?

Pilotman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Ex parachute regiment, SAS, and SBS and Royal Marine here.

Can't talk about it, otherwise i'd have to eat the evidence and kill you and any remaining witnesses.:ph34r:

But i can talk about it in a bar on my stool once i've had a few beers so what was it you wanted to know again...?

2 Para?

3 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

As one who spent 26 years of active duty in the US Air Force, I suppose the ability to live outside my country has helped.

That said, when I was on active duty, no matter where I was stationed there was a nice base, and the moment I entered the main gate, I was essentially back in the US and I knew exactly what to expect and where I fit.

Between being stationed at a US Air Force base and living in base provided housing, it was easy for many to never assimilate and leave after three or four years with very little knowledge or experience in that country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know how that goes. Buddy of mine was based in Guam for years but still reckoned he'd been 'all over' the far east.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:37 PM, vogie said:

.... I never did any winter warfare training in Norway, but I know I probably wouldn't have enjoyed as much as the hot countries.

Most ex servicemen or women should be able to adapt anywhere.

Should be, but said he would not.

1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

Should be, but said he would not.

I'm not sure of the point you are making here. I said I would not have enjoyed it as much, but should be able to adapt anywhere. Have you got a problem with that?

7 hours ago, evadgib said:

I 'outed' several of those during my first decade or so in los! ????

i am a disabled American Veteran from the Vietnam war.  I get paid every month for injuries I suffered in that conflict.  I've lived in Thailand for 20 years and never outed anyone. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

i am a disabled American Veteran from the Vietnam war.  I get paid every month for injuries I suffered in that conflict.  I've lived in Thailand for 20 years and never outed anyone. 

I'm just putting it out there. I don't believe you.

Having lived in Asia for 12 years and more, I think I'm the only ex-serviceman in these parts that is prepared to admit that I just fixed things that the heroes busted.

I was very surprised that the SAS had almost 480,000 living  ex-servicemen as when I fixed their stuff briefly they only had 240 active staff.

Most of the bar stool braggarts don't even know where Hereford is.

Did I tell you that I've got a medal? ????

25 minutes ago, NightSky said:

An ex military pension might be useful?

The Foreign Medical Program comes in handy.  I'm covered for most things that effects my heart.  Don't know if that is lucky or not but since heart problems are the largest cause of death in old folks like myself I get better care here than most American VA hospitals.  Just my opinion. 

Must admit to being slightly befuddled by the OP's question. Why should being ex-military, as opposed to having spent one's working life abroad, or even having simply done extensive travelling, as many have done, make life easier in Thailand? And in what respect easier?

For myself, I have never found living in countries other than my native land particularly challenging, and Thailand I would judge for most people to be one of the easiest to adapt to; compare, for example, India or China.

APO will close Oct 1019. Was never duty free.

even those who work in JUSMAG will have to get a local address. Major pain in the ass but Thai postal is reasonable and timely. US Government just another "screw the GI" program, more money for radical moslims in US Congress/Senate.

21 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

I find if I talk a little slower, ex military will eventually understand and be just fine.

(Joking people.... just a joke...)

That's almost the same if you typed slower it would be easier to understand.

But at the end of the day it would depend if you got the ones that can read or the ones that can write.

:tongue:

My 21 years in the military has definitely helped me because I’m used to being overseas and I love it here in Asia.  The only issue for me was getting used to living overseas as a civilian and getting used to following immigration extension rules but I’ve got that down now after almost 5 years of living here.  Having a military background helps a lot if you’re used to being abroad with almost everything, it’s just getting used to being abroad as a civilian just simply because the rules are different as a civilian than they were when I lived overseas in the military.  In the military we had Diplomatic and or Status of Forces Agreements (SOFA) but as a civilian the biggest difference is having to have a long stay visa and getting an extension once a year.  Because in the military we normally don’t have to do all of that.  It took me a few years to get used to having to follow the local immigration rules but now I have all of that part figured out so it’s definitely a lot easier.  

I think a lot of people living here without military backgrounds especially without long military backgrounds have trouble adapting and have issues comprehending the culture and just all around trouble being able to comprehend following different laws in a foreign country.  I can tell by the way some foreigners here whine and complain about every little thing in a foreign country that they have chosen to live in.  Military background or not there are just some people who don’t belong living overseas and some people who love it, but having a military background can definitely help depending on what your background in the military was exactly.  It just depends on each individual person.  

42 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

APO will close Oct 1019. Was never duty free.

even those who work in JUSMAG will have to get a local address. Major pain in the ass but Thai postal is reasonable and timely. US Government just another "screw the GI" program, more money for radical moslims in US Congress/Senate.

Yup.  These people here who think the government is bad should have to work with the VA or other US government programs for a while.  I was lucky as reading Catch 22 prepared me for the Army.  

The only thing the military gave me was a distaste for the military. Too many bullies, which was why I left it.

I moved to LOS because I was nursing in Saudi and LOS was the closest place to have fun. After many, many holidays there I decided that was where I wanted to retire, but that was back in the 90s when LOS was indeed the land of sanuk. Not so much now, I fear.

Did it help me live in LOS- not at all. Livin' back "home" is harder. Livin' in LOS is easy.

On 3/23/2019 at 4:12 PM, Pilotman said:

I know that there are a significant number of ex Military people on TV and living in LOS. After a Military career of 24 years, with many overseas postings during that time, including to Asia, moving here was really no big deal. In fact, it was the years spent back in the UK that unsettled me.  I put my background and experiences  as one of the major reasons that I have adapted quickly to the life in Thailand and find most things easier than maybe someone without that training and life experience.  I was wondering about the views of other ex Service people, or indeed others who have had no connection with the Services.  Does it help or hinder? 

But answering the OP as to whether being in the military had any advantage to living/moving here.............

I served for 23 years, Royal Navy, majority of the time on small ships doing a lot of 'anti' work; anti-arms smuggling, anti-smuggling, anti-II, oil rig protection, fishery protection, etc. Throughout this time I learned the importance of 'black humour'; this I have found to be a great help to living here.............:wink:

On the other hand, as a poster earlier in the thread pointed out, I was protected from paperwork, as all the time I spent in the forces everything was done for me. To this end, this (to me anyway) was a new adventure navigating through the different government departments getting things done.

I joined straight from school, did my time, and have lived in Thailand for the last 22 years (longest stable address I have had in my life) without any registered employment in my home country so, for me anyway I guess through the pros & cons it didn't really help as I don't really have a benchmark to follow. Wherever you go, then there you are.

Never had a need to use any of the skill sets I acquired, not much need for seamanship, navigation or small boat ops up here in Phitsanulok............................:smile:

I think the military background helps considerably, here and anywhere; here’s some attributes that you learn and become ingrained for life, in no particular order:

1.   Keep your quarters and yourself clean.

2.   Present yourself out of doors in good order.

3.   Wipe your eating spanners before a meal.

4.   Don’t whinge.

5.   Don’t engage without a 3 to 1 superiority.

6.   Be proud of your past, and show it; stomach in, chest out, shoulders back, neck in the back of the collar.

7.   Take your hat off before <removed>

8.   In romantic situations always cock, hook and look before you ease springs.

Archived