BANGKOK 20 April 2019 09:25
Puchaiyank

Beat the heat!

How do you cope with the long periods of daily extreme temperatures...run the air conditioning all afternoon...go to the mall or Big-C for relief...turn fan on max and tough it out?

You have any thoughts on staying cool while reducing power consumption costs?

go for a run and then a swim is a great way to get over the heat. The run works up the sweat... shower then the pool really you down.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

my house has 4 AC units. The one in the kitchen is 25,000 BTUs so it feels like walking into a 7/11 from outdoors. 

my electric is between 1500-3000 and month depending. 

and many days here in Hua Hin we have a slight on shore breeze which cools things down as I am 100 meters from the beach.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Open the doors and windows and run a fan.

40C most days. RH20% or less in the day, often cool breeze at night so keep bedroom windows open and a fan.

I live about 50km south of KK in a small house, gardens and open land around where wind comes out of the China deserts in the Winter.

Just like being in Saudi or Kuwait again, except there in the hot season it got to 50-60C and around 5%RH

Air quality has been bad though this year thanks to the ban on burning sugar cane ...

• Like 2

don't let yourself get over heated... keep your blood cool... body temperature down... I am ok to go out for a while but when I get too hot, it is difficult to fully cool down again... a/c.. cold showers... all help. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

don't let yourself get over heated... keep your blood cool... body temperature down... I am ok to go out for a while but when I get too hot, it is difficult to fully cool down again... a/c.. cold showers... all help. 

I have been overheated and ran out of water before...mouth so dry I could not utter a word...it was scary and dangerous...😳

1 minute ago, Puchaiyank said:

I have been overheated and ran out of water before...mouth so dry I could not utter a word...it was scary and dangerous...😳

yes, real easy to get dehydrated too without realizing it.. I sometimes find myself unendingly thirsty... but keeping the body temp down helps too... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Considering it's not much different from where I came from in my home country, I've no problem simply acclimatizing.  Nearly ever Thai a speak to says, "Rawn, Rawn."  Me?  No no no - "Sabai sabai!"

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get up early and stretch then mall walk till lunch. Avoid afternoon heat at home mostly. Sunset sometimes will sit outside. At bedtime a fan outside on balcony and second fan for circulation. Air con is in living room and bedrooms when necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

How do I cope? Sweating is useful. I use aircon at night, usually around 28C comfortable enough. I avoid AC in malls, theaters, etc... too darn cold

In related arts subject, here is link to "heat index", similar to "wind chill factor" (don't need that here, for sure!). Gives you cross twixt temp and humidity for what you feel "It ain't the heat, it's the humidity"... actually both and can put a number on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index#Table_of_values

Interesting table.

Wind chill factor is important even here.

• Like 1