Beat the heat!

Puchaiyank

How do you cope with the long periods of daily extreme temperatures...run the air conditioning all afternoon...go to the mall or Big-C for relief...turn fan on max and tough it out?

You have any thoughts on staying cool while reducing power consumption costs?

my house has 4 AC units. The one in the kitchen is 25,000 BTUs so it feels like walking into a 7/11 from outdoors. 

my electric is between 1500-3000 and month depending. 

and many days here in Hua Hin we have a slight on shore breeze which cools things down as I am 100 meters from the beach.

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

my electric is between 1500-3000 and month depending.

There's something amiss with the AC in my kitchen! its only 12,000 BTU & my electric bill is double what yours is ????

Open the doors and windows and run a fan.

40C most days. RH20% or less in the day, often cool breeze at night so keep bedroom windows open and a fan.

I live about 50km south of KK in a small house, gardens and open land around where wind comes out of the China deserts in the Winter.

Just like being in Saudi or Kuwait again, except there in the hot season it got to 50-60C and around 5%RH

Air quality has been bad though this year thanks to the ban on burning sugar cane ...

How do I cope? Sweating is useful. I use aircon at night, usually around 28C comfortable enough. I avoid AC in malls, theaters, etc... too darn cold

In related arts subject, here is link to "heat index", similar to "wind chill factor" (don't need that here, for sure!). Gives you cross twixt temp and humidity for what you feel "It ain't the heat, it's the humidity"... actually both and can put a number on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index#Table_of_values

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

don't let yourself get over heated... keep your blood cool... body temperature down... I am ok to go out for a while but when I get too hot, it is difficult to fully cool down again... a/c.. cold showers... all help. 

I have been overheated and ran out of water before...mouth so dry I could not utter a word...it was scary and dangerous...????

1 minute ago, Puchaiyank said:

I have been overheated and ran out of water before...mouth so dry I could not utter a word...it was scary and dangerous...????

yes, real easy to get dehydrated too without realizing it.. I sometimes find myself unendingly thirsty... but keeping the body temp down helps too... 

Considering it's not much different from where I came from in my home country, I've no problem simply acclimatizing.  Nearly ever Thai a speak to says, "Rawn, Rawn."  Me?  No no no - "Sabai sabai!"

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

How do I cope? Sweating is useful. I use aircon at night, usually around 28C comfortable enough. I avoid AC in malls, theaters, etc... too darn cold

In related arts subject, here is link to "heat index", similar to "wind chill factor" (don't need that here, for sure!). Gives you cross twixt temp and humidity for what you feel "It ain't the heat, it's the humidity"... actually both and can put a number on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index#Table_of_values

Interesting table.

Wind chill factor is important even here.

On 3/24/2019 at 2:29 PM, CGW said:

There's something amiss with the AC in my kitchen! its only 12,000 BTU & my electric bill is double what yours is ????

Give the AC a good clean out? Just for starters.

2 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Give the AC a good clean out? Just for starters.

Just been cleaned & new filtrete installed, as have the other 6 AC that I may have failed to mention :whistling: that I have no hesitation using at this time of year ????

On 3/23/2019 at 11:01 AM, Puchaiyank said:

You have any thoughts on staying cool while reducing power consumption costs?

Depends of where you live/stay in LoS, some places are not that hot – even switching a fan off to save power might not help, if the fan is not switched on...????

I lived in the Middle East for 7 years and 3 of those were when stationed in Kuwait which is the hottest country in the area.

No matter the temp in Saudi, Iraq, Iran, Bahrain........Kuwait will always be a few degrees hotter.

You will never hear me complain about heat but ya will hear a lot if I am subjected to snow and ice.

To answer the original question, I spell relief P O O L

2F275612-DF97-434A-AD1E-BA4CCB64C4B7.jpeg

i run the aircon in 1 hour spells at 27 C. In between, I'll just have the fan for an hour. Studio condo, 46 sqm, about 1000 baht/month for electricity. Electricity in my GF's village is cheaper, about 600 baht/month.

I live in Bangkok. Never run a/c. Fan on medium since it’s hot out. Wear jeans day, never shorts. Ride non a/c buses when possible instead of trains. I’m happy not to be cold! I do go to gym every day, run occasionally. 

30 minutes ago, flbkk said:

I live in Bangkok. Never run a/c. Fan on medium since it’s hot out. Wear jeans day, never shorts. Ride non a/c buses when possible instead of trains. I’m happy not to be cold! I do go to gym every day, run occasionally. 

Where do your shower(s) fit in around all that self-imposed fetidness?

On 3/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, CGW said:

If that unit is undersized, or has a refrigerant leak, it will work twice as hard and cool less.

I've lived in Southeast Asia, the Middle East and in Florida most of my life. Always loved a/c. I go riding my Harley in the countryside; surprising how cooling even a warm breeze is--towns are much too hot. I have mapped-out where all the a/c bars and restaurants are located. I spend time in the malls checking the scenery. And, I frequent a great massage parlor with a/c rooms and swimming pool. Of course, I have a/c in my home and it is never higher than 23C. Sorry, cannot help you if you are trying to stay cool on a budget.

Archived