Border-Run Ideas - Cambodia or Laos? Trip Back?

Hi Guys, 

I need to do a border crossing late april and stay ~1-2 nights abroad. 

I was thinking of flying to Siem Reap and doing Angkor Wat. However, after doing some Googling it is my understanding that the trip back to BKK with bus/train is quite heavy. Any pros/cons here?

Another idea would be Vientiane. By the looks of it it seems like an easier trip back to BKK. Anyone know about any bus tours doing this route? 

Or, any other ideas for a "convenient" visa-run? 

Background: have made 3 Tourist Visas in a row and got hassled every single time entering by BKK airport. This is my last 30 days I need before going home. I've been advised enter by the border to minimize the risk of being denied entry. 

Poipet/Aranyaprathet is not a white foreigner friendly entry point.

Probably as bad (if not worse) than DMK.

Bus is easy, Siam Reap to Poipet, $12 bus/van leaving every half hour.

Arunyaprathet to Bangkok, 350bht, bus leaves every hour, plenty of vans too.

Hi DrJack54, thanks for your input. However, since this is my first trip I'm not too familiar with "central plaza to NK". Could you elaborate? I need to get out of Thailand for 1 night, did you register that? 

Again - thanks! 

Edited by aldriglikvid

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

Hi DrJack54, thanks for your input. However, since this is my first trip I'm not too familiar with "central plaza to NK". Could you elaborate? I need to get out of Thailand for 1 night, did you register that? 

Again - thanks! 

Its just my suggestion. For me Vientiane is very boring. Anyway more detail to what I suggested...fly AirAsia or Lion bkk to udon thani. Stay bar area which is chill type of place. Hotel eg Top Mansion, 450baht/night.

Central plaza is short walk. Go early with minivan. Cheap. Enter loas border, bounce back with minivan to udon airport. One reason I suggest this is that your doing border entry. If you alread used up 2 then you need fly Vientiane to DM

Oh the taxi Udon airport to undo centre 200baht. Others will maybe suggest fly Vientiane and back. On an aside... I can never understand why folk need back los so quick. I can only think of 2 reason. Work or work. Anyway not my business

Edited by DrJack54
Error

I am unsure of your reasons for staying out of Thailand for a night or two, and what you hope to achieve. Definitely avoid Poitpet for a visa exempt entry.

One very good visa run from Bangkok, but slightly boring for a night or two outside Thailand is Maesot (easily reached by bus or air) crossing to Myawaddy in Myanmar. The Thai side of the border is of greater interest, but Myawaddy is OK at a pinch. If you use the bus, and have crisp, clear US$ banknotes for the border pass, this works out cheaper than a Vientiane run. By air, it is also faster (unfortunately, airfares to Maesot have increased significantly in the last year).

If you decide to use Vientiane, I would suggest flying between Bangkok and Udon.

• Like 1

Thanks Tim! Will check that one out ????

I need one night out since I did a silly miscalculation: my extension expires the 29th of april and my trip "back home" is on the 30th of may. Hence I want to do a trip that makes me enter the country on the 30th (and allows me to stay to the 30th of may). 

Another option would be a 1 day run as you guys suggested and then simply extending my visa with 30 days a 1800 baht (for those 1-2 days of overstay). 

A night in Vieantiane with a good hotel breakfast and some Netflix on the computer shouldn't kill me ????

15 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

I need one night out since I did a silly miscalculation: my extension expires the 29th of april and my trip "back home" is on the 30th of may. Hence I want to do a trip that makes me enter the country on the 30th (and allows me to stay to the 30th of may).

If you enter Thailand visa exempt on April 30th, you will be allowed to stay only until May 29th. They include both the arrival and the departure day in the count.

• Like 1

A night in Vieantiane with a good hotel breakfast and some Netflix on the computer shouldn't kill me 

As they say in Laos 'Bor bpen yang' (No problem) .... and that's where you should spend your evening in Vientiane ????

• Like 1