Help finding a replacement LED driver

blackcab

I have 10 single LED lights in my house. Each LED light is powered by an LED driver unit. By a process of elimination, I suspect the driver units are starting to fail. I have tried to find direct replacements on the internet, but I cannot.

Could any of our electrically minded members point me in the direction of an equivalent replacement please? This unit is 4cm long, 4cms wide and 2cms deep. The 2cms measurement is reasonably important because these driver units have to fit in a recessed hole. 3 cms deep would be ok, maybe a bit more.

Each driver powers a CREE XML T6 LED U2 10W WHITE High Power LED chip on a 20mm PCB. This spec is copied from the seller:

Maximum drive current: 3000mA
Low thermal resistance: 2.5C/W
Maximum junction temperature: 150C
Viewing angle: 125'
ANSI-compatible chromaticity bins
Unlimited floor life at <30C/85% RH
Reflow solderable-JEDES J-STD-020C
Electrically neutral thermal path

Technical Parameters:
Quantity: 1pcs
Model Type: Cree XML-T6
Emitted Color :White
Color Temperature: 6500-7000K
Viewing Angle: 110 Degree
DC Forward Voltage (VF): 2.9-4Vdc
DC Forward Current (IF): 3.0A
Power: 10W
Low thermal resistance: 2.5°C/W
Maximum junction temperature: 150°C
Viewing angle: 125°
Diameter :12 14 16 20mm
ANSI-compatible chromaticity bins
Unlimited floor life at ≤ 30oC/85% RH
Reflow solderable - JEDEC J-STD-020C
Electrically neutral thermal path

Thank you.

20190323_173320.thumb.jpg.3ca98b9c0a014cd9522e949594312b35.jpg

20190323_180220.jpg.c0408260712ada524e20a5b559879907.jpg

In my albeit limited search for these already it's actually cheaper to buy the new light assembly complete than the driver on it's own
Fair enough if they are specials or particulary different units that cannot easily be replaced.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

These are units that can't easily be replaced. They are recessed aluminium lights that are set into the internal walls of the house. It would be a lot of work to change the units unless they were the same size and method of fitting.

The cost is not so much the issue - it's more important to get the units working by replacing the drivers.

There are only 2 components that ever need changing: the LED and the LED driver. I have the LEDs, now I need the drivers...

Thai suppliers here: It seems they don't stock the same brand drivers but they should be able to offer a suitable replacement.

https://www.digikey.co.th

Also you could try contact the original supplier with this address: [email protected] 

Failing all that if you don't find a suitable replacement, it looks like that driver may not be a sealed unit. You may be able to have them repaired. I have had several printed circuit boards repaired over here. There are some very competent repairers who work on CNC PCB repairs.

If the units are sealed you can still repairs them. I only mentioned this as you have mentioned the pain it will be replace the whole LED unit. If the driver is a sealed unit, you can dissolve the resin or plastic mold in a solvent which leaves the PCB. Then repair the unit and set it again in a resin. I have had some luck with doing that with old industrial computer components / CNC machinery parts that were no longer available.

Good luck with it.

3 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Good luck...

3 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Good luck...

Specifications are rationalized. LED rating = PSU rating. What works for one will work for another.

All you need do is open the box and read the labels.

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Quite a few LED drivers on Lazada.

As usual, the search facility doesn't help to narrow things dow - but maybe worth a look

If the PSU rating is the same (or better) then you're good to go. Higher current rating will still work as it's current available. Not current drawn.

Personally I've found Lazada to be lacking for technical data.

10 hours ago, alacrity said:

If the PSU rating is the same (or better) then you're good to go. Higher current rating will still work as it's current available. Not current drawn.

NO!!!

In this case that's not correct.

LEDs are current driven devices rather than voltage. The box is a constant-current supply (700mA) rather than voltage (which won't ever reach 9V - 6W white LEDs are about 4.5V).

Find a 700mA driver with >9V limit and it should work.

@blackcab I would verify the LED voltage and actual operating current on a working unit just to confirm the above.

In the past I've found that the LEDs themselves have also failed along with the driver so it may be an idea to get a handfull of them too. 

Constant current, forward voltage and heat dissipation should be considered when driving LED lamps as their life depends on it. 

The OP's fitting and its Cree LED are most likely optimized in heat dissipation and driver selection to provide output value with decent life. I suggest sticking with the forward voltage and constant current selection which is driving at just under 7W and avoid driving with other values unless sure the fitting and its LED are suitable.

Here is Ebay listing for driver with same voltage and constant current values. Might be difficult to find with suitable dimensions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Driver-for-Cree-XLamp-CXA1304-AC-85-264V-DC-9V-700mA-7W/112850563742?hash=item1a466af29e:g:H4AAAOSw~IVanKar&frcectupt=true

I assume LED chip failure has been ruled out by swapping drivers around. LED drivers often fail early when attached to the rear heat sink of LED light fittings and then exposed to high ceiling or roof space temperatures.

Thank you all for your help.

I think I have a candidate. Would this be a suitable electrical replacement? (I have checked the physical size and it will fit in the recessed hole in the wall).

https://www.digikey.co.th/products/en?keywords=945-2113-ND

A link to the manufacturer's data sheet is below. On the datasheet the product is called a RACD07-700:

https://www.recom-power.com/pdf/Lightline/RACD07.pdf

The new drivers arrived a couple of days ago from digikey. I was hit up for 20 per cent import duty, but what can you do? It was a choice of free shipping for orders over 1,600 baht, or make 3 smaller orders and pay the shipping 3 times. In this case the new drivers are heavy, as they are resin filled, so I think I made the right decision.

Here are a couple of pictures of the old and the new drivers. I will fit them when my wago connectors arrive. Old drivers on the left, new drivers on the right. The new drivers certainly look more durable than the old drivers.

20190331_154445.thumb.jpg.c5cd21400974a97f0a4e8c1719468ab8.jpg

20190331_154501.thumb.jpg.fbbcd2973eb3b15a677392d809f52c9d.jpg

Archived