thai laos marriage

My Thai wifes son is 24, he has a passport, a girlfriend from and in Laos right now and a baby with her. They are not officially married. Recently he entered Laos via the boat close to Bung Khan with his passport and was told he could stay in Laos for three month. However, after a few days the police showed up in the village (which is not located in the ampoe on the river), seized his passport and eventually sent him back to Thailand. He was told without being married he could only visit for a maximum of three days. I don't think he was given a proper Laos visa upon entry and even if he had he was told he could not stay privately with people.

Has anyone ever made experiences (for example in the Thai family) how easy or complicated it is to marry a Laos girl being Thai. I am sure there are umptien papers needed, will they have to be legalised? Is this a long process overall? Where do you best marry, in Thailand or in Laos?

Rumour locally has it that even if you are married and want to life in Laos that you are subjected to several limitations, like not being allowed to build a house, what about being allowed to work or even not being allowed to stay after all. Any opinios? Cheers

Three days? Sounds like he was given a border pass which is basically a 3 day stay.

Dunno about Lao immigration rules, but if they got married in Thailand then she’d be able to stay quite easily - extensions of stay are given quite easily to foreign spouses of Thai husbands. 

Very difficult being married to a Lao (unless you married in Laos under Lao law), if you want to live in Laos.  My Lao wife's village is off the beaten track, but I still have to pay the headman a few baht when we stay in our house there. It pays to keep a low profile.  

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to all that have replied. My wifes son did not have a 3 day border pass but went with his passport across the Megkong in Pakxsan where he was told he could stay up to one month--.Anyway-wished I had some more cheerful news but for now the marriage is off. Originally it was thought they could marry and live in Laos, but of course the question arises "living of what?"  We went ourselfs for one week and visited "wife", and her family but it was decided that it would be best for now if she stays with her daughter and with her family in Laos and he tries to become a "better" person and husband- means really growing up and being responsible which I have to say he is neither at the moment, in spite of being 24.....

Things in my experience are not easy for young people in remote parts of the Isaan  and the temptation to deal with "no future" ideas with drugs and alcohol is huge.....Sadly even when there are possibilities to make a living through daily work or learning first the before mentioned temptations overwhelm.....

Thanks to all that have replied. My wifes son did not have a 3 day border pass but went with his passport across the Megkong in Pakxsan where he was told he could stay up to one month--.Anyway-wished I had some more cheerful news but for now the marriage is off. Originally it was thought they could marry and live in Laos, but of course the question arises "living of what?"  We went ourselfs for one week and visited "wife", and her family but it was decided that it would be best for now if she stays with her daughter and with her family in Laos and he tries to become a "better" person and husband- means really growing up and being responsible which I have to say he is neither at the moment, in spite of being 24.....
Things in my experience are not easy for young people in remote parts of the Isaan  and the temptation to deal with "no future" ideas with drugs and alcohol is huge.....Sadly even when there are possibilities to make a living through daily work or learning first the before mentioned temptations overwhelm.....
My wife's family are Lao and it's sad to see how few options there are for young males. Most quickly fall into the alcohol and yaba trap or move to Thailand and work legally for a pittance, or illegally in karaoke bars. My son will be kept as far away as possible, except for family visits.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Archived