What banks can I open an account at without a WP?

I opened a savings account at the Bangkok Bank on a tourist visa.

Edit

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/FCD-Account-for-Non-residents

• Foreigners without a work permit

Passport and one of the following documents:

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations

• Embassy or international organization
  • International institution, e.g. pension certificate issued by overseas organization
  • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
  • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, government officer, director of a private company, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
  • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.

20 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

i.e. maybe pattaya is more farang friendly?

Compared to "in the sticks", yes.

But even there look for main branches not some shopping center micro branch.

If you don't have a WP you need another document to proof your place of residence.

What banks acknowledge can differ.

Of course you can also find recommendations for Bangkok in other threads.

Seems the bank centrals are best spot (Silom rd. etc.).

9 minutes ago, ravip said:

Can you tell where?

It seems you were lucky to find a branch that knows Bangkok Bank's own rules.

On their website they indeed say that you can get a savings account as a non resident (without Non O, extension or similar).

My Kasikorn savings account on 30 day stamp and hotel business card is from 2009. Kasikorn at Pattaya Royal Garden. Can't tell whether it is still that easy,

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

In general yes.

But even there look for main branches not some shopping center micro branch.

If you don't have a WP you need another document to proof your place of residence.

What banks acknowledge can differ.

Of course you can also find recommendations for Bangkok in other threads.

Seems the bank centrals are best spot (Silom rd. etc.).

Can you tell where?

It seems you were lucky to find a branch that knows Bangkok Bank's own rules.

On their website they indeed say that you can get a savings account as a non resident (without Non O, extension or similar).

My Kasikorn savings account on 30 day stamp is from 2009. Kasikorn at Pattaya Royal Garden. Can't tell whether it is still that easy,

At the Don Mueang International Airport branch. A Thai government employee 'introduced' me.

Just now, ravip said:

A Thai government employee 'introduced' me.

If the OP has a KTB account already this might be good enough as a "reference".

I don't know from experience what this reference/recommendation thing is about.

Was never confronted with. I have opened my other accounts after 2011 with wife in company.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Was never confronted with. I have opened my other accounts after 2011 with wife in company.

I opened it in 2016 and it was my GF who was the referee.

2 weeks ago I took my Yellow Book and ID card to Thai Farmers Bank in Phimai.  I have a 12 month multiple entry O visa and a marriage extention.  I was asked for my work permit. I explained that I worked as a consultant in other countries.  I was told I need a work permit or a retirement visa to open a bank.  I spoke with head office and the customer service guy was understanding and helpful. He spoke to the deputry branch manager several times however was unable to convince her that she should open an account. My wife and 2 sons have accounts at the branch which was behind my choice of the bank.  According to the customer service hot line each branch makes its own decision about how it chooses to follow the bank policies. BTW the web site states that proof of your registered address is required and a passport or ID is required to open the account.  Anyway I walked to Bangkok Bank and walked out 20 minutes later with an ATM card and passbook.  All's well that ends well.

To the OP: Giving your location might elicit replies from those with local knowledge. Start with the nearest location of KTB, because you have an account there now.  They might think "If he is good enough for branch "xxx", maybe he is good enough for us."

The yellow book is your proof of address and residence. In the bank papers you are resident now. That should be enough to open savings account in all of the banks. Except maybe not in KTB, SCB still required my wife as the recommender, ridiculously. The reason bank staff keeps saying WP is that it was all the training thought them to say and is completely wrong. Very small branches don't have managers to authorize accounts for foreigners. I would recommend international banks UOB min deposit 50k or Citib min deposit 1 mil thb. these offer better service and better deals for insurance etc

As others have said, Go bank to bank, branch to branch until you find one that will open an account, Banks close to the local immigration office probably more familiar and more likely to open accounts.

Take a Thai account holder with you for introduction. Take the information from the banks website that says you can open an account.

Buying insurance can often work, banks sell accident insurance (to account holders) and staff get commission, accounts can get magically opened.

If you present yellow book and pink ID, your name is in Thai script on both, so the account name will be in Thai script and usually passport not able to operate that account as passport has name in English, and vica versa, pink ID cant usually operate an English name account.

Any bank should be able to.  Sometimes they will demand a work permit though.  When I first got here the local SCB in the small town I live in wanted a work permit.  I showed them my retirement visa and where it says I am not allowed employment but required to have a Thai bank account for my retirement visa.  They called the main branch and then allowed me to open an account.

One thing I would mention is I also opened an account with KTB.  But they said since I am an American they would not pay me interest.  They said the paperwork and reporting requirements for Americans was too much of a hassle for them to deal with.  I had no such issue with SCB, have both a saving and fixed account there.

You can open an account at any bank you want but some branches might give you a hard time about paperwork.  You just have to find a bank with a friendly manager.  And the type of visa you’re on does have an affect on how easy or difficult it is.  

33 minutes ago, rwill said:

Any bank should be able to.  Sometimes they will demand a work permit though.  When I first got here the local SCB in the small town I live in wanted a work permit.  I showed them my retirement visa and where it says I am not allowed employment but required to have a Thai bank account for my retirement visa.  They called the main branch and then allowed me to open an account.

One thing I would mention is I also opened an account with KTB.  But they said since I am an American they would not pay me interest.  They said the paperwork and reporting requirements for Americans was too much of a hassle for them to deal with.  I had no such issue with SCB, have both a saving and fixed account there.

I’m retired here but on a marriage visa extension and I had a really easy and good experience opening an account at SCB as well.  When I turn 50 years old I might switch to the retirement visa just because I’ve heard that they complete the extension process a lot faster for retirement extensions.  And I am definitely more than qualified for either visa extension income wise.  Although I don’t mind waiting for my marriage visa extension process to be done it wasn’t that bad last time.  

On 3/23/2019 at 5:40 AM, ravip said:

Edit

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/FCD-Account-for-Non-residents

• Foreigners without a work permit

Passport and one of the following documents:

A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations

• Embassy or international organization
  • International institution, e.g. pension certificate issued by overseas organization
  • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT
  • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, government officer, director of a private company, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
  • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.

Have all of the posters who were able to successfully open a bank account with a Tourist Visa or less (Visa Exempt) had to also provide one of the above?

"An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT"

That sounds like the most likely I could hopefully come up with.

Has anyone provided this to a bank?

Reads as if they just want a bank officer to state they are familiar with me as a bank customer for x amount of years, and they have to send it to the Thai bank via SWIFT (didn't realize a message alone can be sent that way, thought it would have to accompany wired funds?).

10 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Have all of the posters who were able to successfully open a bank account with a Tourist Visa or less (Visa Exempt) had to also provide one of the above?

"An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT"

That sounds like the most likely I could hopefully come up with.

Has anyone provided this to a bank?

Reads as if they just want a bank officer to state they are familiar with me as a bank customer for x amount of years, and they have to send it to the Thai bank via SWIFT (didn't realize a message alone can be sent that way, thought it would have to accompany wired funds?).

For me it was only (in 2016)...

1. Passport

2. Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, government officer, director of a private company, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

2 hours ago, SEtonal said:

2 hours ago, SEtonal said:

A bank account can be obtained for a fee by going to a visa agency, concierge service, or law firm that advertises the service.

Savings account opening at Bangkok Bank came as part of the 'package' for my conversion from 30 day Visa Exempt entry to Non-Immigrant O Visa and 12 month Retirement Extension. The visa agent advised me that Bangkok Bank 'required' me to buy their One-Off Accident Insurance Policy at 3,000 baht as part of the deal.

19 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Savings account opening at Bangkok Bank came as part of the 'package' for my conversion from 30 day Visa Exempt entry to Non-Immigrant O Visa and 12 month Retirement Extension. The visa agent advised me that Bangkok Bank 'required' me to buy their One-Off Accident Insurance Policy at 3,000 baht as part of the deal.

You should change agent or DIY.

Seeing the OP mentioned Pattaya there are multiple "services" from locals that freely advertise on Facebook that will obtain an account for you no matter what type of visa you are on.

Cost seems to average around 3500 Baht of which 500 actually lands as a deposit. I believe you get an ATM card included but if you want a debit card like most its 300 more

I wont put the links here but if anyone wants then feel free to PM

Plenty of satisfied customers. Doubtless you "could" do it yourself by striking lucky with the right visa just hangs on how valuable your time is

4 hours ago, Samyan said:

Bangkok Bank for me. I opened an account at Nana branch six years ago on a tourist visa without any problems.

Six years ago?? They will have gone through a few bosses in that time changing the rules.

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Your last sentence, then when you reach sixty, your policy is canceled.

2 hours ago, ravip said:

For me it was only (in 2016)...

1. Passport

2. Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, government officer, director of a private company, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank

It means that for many reasons BKKB is to most foreigner friendly bank and it's easy to open account there for your needs. Just ask. If about to buy a condo, show contract etc. For retirement I would try the one near immigration office you frequent. A certain branch might have a problematic manager so change the branch. BKKBank and KBank are very easy. But better ask, once a five year since expired student id did the trick once it was the chanot with my name, once it was the purchase contract from Land office of that same condo. It's always different document and only that certain one they say. Easiest to go with GF I think, no need for extra docs. It is quite unbelievable that people pay for this service to some agent though. Yes, usually the bank wants to add atm card with accident insurance to the deal, not a bad deal actually.

Has anyone noticed that there is neither rhyme nor reason to the ability to open an account from bank to bank no less from branch to branch.  Basically, any non-Thai can be discriminated against.  Are there anti-discrimination laws here.  If so, it does not seem as thought they are enforced, and my guess is that there are none.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:53 PM, KhunBENQ said:

It varies from branch to branch. Our UOB a/c and card statement was no proof for Bkk Bank Silom. We got a Swift reference from our home bank. This is a very easy ref. to get.

Archived