Marriage Visa

When applying for a visa through marriage, can you use money from working online to qualify?

Do they ask what it is for?

Might there be any problems due to not having a work permit, even though technically not working in Thailand, i.e. a US company.

• Like 1

To apply for a non-immigrant visa category O for the purpose of travelling to Thailand to visit your spouse, not all Thai embassies and consulates have the same requirements and you should consult the website of the consulate where you plan to apply.

• Like 1

The important thing is to transfer at least 40K to your Thai bank from abroad every month.

If immigration ask for the source of income and it originated in the US you should be ok. 

I doubt they would accept any income they knew originated from illegal work in Thailand.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Maestro said:

To apply for a non-immigrant visa category O for the purpose of travelling to Thailand to visit your spouse, not all Thai embassies and consulates have the same requirements and you should consult the website of the consulate where you plan to apply.

I mean to apply in Thailand.

If your country still provides income-affidavits, you may need to use this to show your income.

If your country no longer provides income-affidavits, you will need to show monthly international transfers to a Thai account exceeding 40K Baht.

Some offices will ask for proof of the source of funds as secondary documentation, to which you could try showing deposits into your foreign bank-account.

A few offices will insist the income can only be a "pension," and insist on seeing a pension-letter or similar.  If your office is one of these, you are out of luck - or would need to use an agent.

Then, there are the standard requirements - wife with you when you apply, your original marriage certificate, updated Kor Ror 2, and pictures around your home with your wife.  All of those with copies of passport-pages, the application form, etc.

Then there are per-office "extra" requirements, which could include a witness attending (and may or many not need to be in some of the pictures), and several documents from your landlord, unless you are living in a condo you own.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I mean to apply in Thailand.

You cannot apply for a Visa in Thailand.

You can apply for a 12 month extension of stay.

As your Embassy no longer provides income letters you will need to show monthly transfers of at least 40,000 baht a month into your Thai bank.

Or 400,000 deposit.

They don't care where the money comes from.

Edited by Justin Side
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

If you have entered Thailand without a non-O visa you can apply for it at the immigration office as the first step of the two-step process to get a marriage extension, ie an extension of stay for the reason of living with your spouse in Thailand.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Justin Side said:

So, if I already have an extension of stay, I can't change to a visa based on marriage?

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So, if I already have an extension of stay, I can't change to a visa based on marriage?

It will depend on the office and the category of non immigrant visa you have. If you have a non 'O' you will have no problem changing the reason for your extension to being a spouse at the next renewal.

If you have a non 'B' they could let you change, but they might insist you go outside Thailand and get a non 'O' visa and extend the new 90 day entry.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

It will depend on the office and the category of non immigrant visa you have. If you have a non 'O' you will have no problem changing the reason for your extension to being a spouse at the next renewal.

If you have a non 'B' they could let you change, but they might insist you go outside Thailand and get a non 'O' visa and extend the new 90 day entry.

I see, thanks. Leaving the country is not an option as I'm in the process of naturalization, which required continuous visas. Do you think using a visa agent would help? 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I see, thanks. Leaving the country is not an option as I'm in the process of naturalization, which required continuous visas. Do you think using a visa agent would help? 

If the office do insist on a non ‘O’ it’s possible the right agent could help.

This year (next month, April/May), I'm going to change from my usual Retirement Extension to a Marriage Extension.    Firstly, my wife and I have been married for some time (coming up to our 10th anniversary).   Retirement extension has previously been the preferred option for the past 11 years because of its ease (Embassy letter/money in bank etc).   Although I can still qualify through the bank monies option for 'Retirement', I object to having to maintain a continual balance and having to transfer funds at times that are not at their most optimum.    Hence the change to Marriage Extension.   Like some, I'll have in excess of 800.00 rather than the required 400,000 when I do the extension, purely for the 'what if' scenario.   Looking forward to the process in my local IO next month (Phuket), more news to follow.......

9 hours ago, pagallim said:

Like some, I'll have in excess of 800.00 rather than the required 400,000 when I do the extension, purely for the 'what if' scenario. 

Good luck doing it with well more than the 400k baht requirement for an extension based upon marriage. I am sure they are going to drag their feet or flat out refuse to let you change.

I would of been better to of had the money in two accounts. One with 400k baht to do the extension and the rest in another one as a backup.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Am I correct in thinking there is a one month periods of consideration for a marriage extension?

How would this work in regards to work Permit?

It has no affect on your work permit in anyway.

• Thanks 1