Advice on getting tourist visa

I've stayed in Thailand for 6 months on exemptions plus extensions (1 air, 2 land; still only 1 land entry for 2019). Never been hassled at all, but obviously not going to continue chancing it.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I'm in Siem Reap. I've waded through a ton of info on the site, but I'm still a little unsure about some things.

My problems concern:

1. Which embassy to choose? My thought was Kuala Lumpur, since it doesn't require a visa (I need one for Vietnam), has a solid reputation, and I can take the train into Thailand from Penang.

2. What exactly do I need for the "accommodation" requirement? The requirements on the embassy for KL say I need proof for my "whole stay". Do I literally need 60 days of hotel bookings? Does it actually have to be a paid booking or can I just do the booking.com "pay at the property" booking? I already have my apartment paid up to the 15th, and I'm guessing I could get the staff to email me a copy. But the "whole stay" requirement seems ridiculous.

3. Does KL require me to show proof of funds? If so, does simply printing out a statement through online banking count? I ask because their METV requirements talk about a "bank verified" statement that shows all of your activity for six months, but it doesn't say anything about funds for the normal tourist visa. I don't have a problem showing it, I just want to know what I actually need.

Edited by OutofSiam

For you, I think Kuala Lumpur would be a good place to apply this time. Start reading at http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/99059-Applying-for-Visa-to-Thailand-at-the-Royal-Thai-Em.html for details on the application process.

For accommodation, it is easy to have hotel reservations that can later be cancelled.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

For you, I think Kuala Lumpur would be a good place to apply this time. Start reading at http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/99059-Applying-for-Visa-to-Thailand-at-the-Royal-Thai-Em.html for details on the application process.

For accommodation, it is easy to have hotel reservations that can later be cancelled.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that information is where I found the requirements for "A copy of reservation/confirmationof accommodation for the whole stay in Thailand".

That's why I'm wondering what "whole stay" means. 60 days? 30 days?

53 minutes ago, OutofSiam said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that information is where I found the requirements for "A copy of reservation/confirmationof accommodation for the whole stay in Thailand".

That's why I'm wondering what "whole stay" means. 60 days? 30 days?

It is not totally clear. Someone once told me that, unless you have a confirmed flight out of Thailand sooner, they want to see at least 10 days of hotel bookings, but I would not rely on that. Frankly, for many travellers, expecting firm plans for your whole trip is pretty unrealistic. Back in my younger days, I was often not sure of my plans for the next day when travelling for pleasure and adventure.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

It is not totally clear. Someone once told me that, unless you have a confirmed flight out of Thailand sooner, they want to see at least 10 days of hotel bookings, but I would not rely on that. Frankly, for many travellers, expecting firm plans for your whole trip is pretty unrealistic. Back in my younger days, I was often not sure of my plans for the next day when travelling for pleasure and adventure.

Right, it seems a bit silly to me. Even if you had set plans, you likely wouldn't pay 2 months in advance. Maybe there are issues at the hotel or you don't like the location or you find a better deal on the ground.

Anyways, I already have about 20 days through my apartment, so hopefully that is sufficient.

8 hours ago, OutofSiam said:

One option is if you have a friend here you could ask them to write the letter mentioned on the checklist for tourist visas.

image.png.e7f37ed8863350b6295740d41830bde3.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The roughly 15 days left on my apartment rental seemed to satisfy them, as they didn't even mention it. They did make me get proof of travel INTO Thailand however, which seems a little silly. Why would I pay for a tourist visa if I'm not entering the country? But oh well.

• Haha 1