Visa question

Hi

40 year old British Citizen here and some background info

2015-2017 - Travelled to BKK on 4 VE each year

2018 - Had 6 VE and end of 2018 got a SETV and then applied for Re-entry and 30 day extension.  On entry after 10 days in UK the IO didnt ask me anything.

2019 - Applied for 2nd SETV in Saigon just after 1st SETV finished.  Was questioned at IO and his boss came to check and said its valid and allowed me entry.

I plan to go HK for 4 days in April, so i wish to get a Re-Entry and in addition 30 day extension to 2nd SETV.  My question is would it be possible?  Also what documents would i require?  On 1st re-entry i didnt bring anything with them,

Secondly, whats the chances of refusal entry if i go HK for 4 days and re-enter BKK again?

Edited by pantsonfire

If you will be returning to Thailand with a re-entry permit, rather than a visa exempt or fresh tourist visa, I think the chances of problems are much lower. Also, Hong Kong as an expensive destination tends to reassure immigration that you are not destitute. The only problem that could arise, I think, is if they think you are working.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

.... I plan to go HK for 4 days in April, so i wish to get a Re-Entry and in addition 30 day extension to 2nd SETV. ....

If you get a re-entry permit successfully before you leave for HK, can you get an SETV in HK at the same time?   

When does the SETV expire? I asked a similar question for a friend a few days ago (can I get a re-entry permit for an SETV) and was told only if I re-enter before the SETV expires and I'd only get the remaining days left on the original entry.  That is, if I left on day 45 I'd only get 15 days when I re-entered, assuming the SETV hadn't expired and I'd got a re-entry permit.  I'd have thought the better solution for you is to get a fresh SETV in Hong Kong while you're there

22 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

When does the SETV expire? I asked a similar question for a friend a few days ago (can I get a re-entry permit for an SETV) and was told only if I re-enter before the SETV expires and I'd only get the remaining days left on the original entry.  That is, if I left on day 45 I'd only get 15 days when I re-entered, assuming the SETV hadn't expired and I'd got a re-entry permit.  I'd have thought the better solution for you is to get a fresh SETV in Hong Kong while you're there

A SETV is canceled once used. - A re-entry permit protects the permission to stay granted at the time of entry. 

Edited by KarlS
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KarlS said:

A SETV is canceled once used. - A re-entry permit protects the permission to stay granted at the time of entry. 

An attempt to use re-entry permits is an attempt to "convert" an SETV into an METV by stealth

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

An attempt to use re-entry permits is an attempt to "convert" an SETV into an METV by stealth

Nonsense!   A SETV proved one entry and gives a 60-day stay(90 if extended) A re-entry permit does not alter the permission to stay date or add additional days. 

• Like 2

op you need to rethink your method of staying long term in Thailand. otherwise you will come unstuck, constantly planning ways to circumvent the system, get an elite visa, the only suitable one for you

32 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

rubbish the maximum one could get would be 90 days, and some of that 90 days would be lost to the HK stay.

1 hour ago, post said:

If you get a re-entry permit successfully before you leave for HK, can you get an SETV in HK at the same time?   

NO

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Exactly what I said.  Maybe you don't understand the word "attempt"

metv's give unlimited 60 day entries, for 6 months, how does that compare with a reentry permit that allows a fresh entry but using the original 60 day permission to stay stamp date.

yes a 60 day stamp with a re-entry permit avoids the 2 only rule for land VE entries and the problems these entries could bring, if making tourist trips in and out the country

but for someone living full time in Thailand the correct visa should be obtained, all the bending of rules leads to problems for others coupled with rule changes, ie multi VE entries = rule changes, ed visa's = rule changes, muliple setv = rule changes, embellishing income / borrowing lump sum for 'retirement' yearly extensions = rule changes.

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

metv's give unlimited 60 day entries, for 6 months, how does that compare with a reentry permit that allows a fresh entry but using the original 60 day permission to stay stamp date.

I will try to stick to words of one syllable (oh damn, broke that rule).  The OP assumes that by getting a re-entry permit he will get a fresh 60 days, thus turning his SETV into an METV.  As well he hopes to get a 30 day extension, making it a fresh 90 days.  As I said in my original response, that won't work and in a subsequent post I said "it's an attempt to turn an SETV into an METV by stealth"

With 18 exempt entries, 3 SETVs, extensions, and re-entry permits - sounds like it's time for a new passport. It's no guarantee, but at least in my experience I was only asked questions at BKK when my passport was full of VE stamps and extensions. A new passport and a METV later and all entries since have been no questions asked, so far. Either way - avoid DMK.

• Like 1

Iam on my second SETV and its yet to expire.  It expires in May 2019.  My question is if i can get an re-entry on my current second SETV.  I know i wont be getting an extra 60 days but just a halt on the 60 day i have on SETV.  I am also looking for an additional 30 day extension on my SETV whilst iam in BKK

Iam not looking to stay long term in Thailand, i am just trying to enjoy my time here till iam back in UK in June

Edited by pantsonfire

1 minute ago, pantsonfire said:

Iam on my second SETV and its yet to expire.  It expires in May 2019.  My question is if i can get an re-entry on my current second SETV. Iam not looking to stay long term in Thailand, i am just trying to enjoy my time here till iam back in UK in June

Surely multiple responses already have comprehensively answered this question with a resounding "No"

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

I will try to stick to words of one syllable (oh damn, broke that rule).  The OP assumes that by getting a re-entry permit he will get a fresh 60 days, thus turning his SETV into an METV.  As well he hopes to get a 30 day extension, making it a fresh 90 days.  As I said in my original response, that won't work and in a subsequent post I said "it's an attempt to turn an SETV into an METV by stealth"

Iam not looking for extra 60 days, i am just looking for a short trip to HK and come back within my SETV expiry date.  

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

See post #5, and even then others disagree and say none is possible at all

Thanks.  That will be my 3rd Back to Back SETV, so i doubt i can get a fresh one.  Thats why i was looking at applying for an re-entry and 30 day extension at thai government office in BKK whilst iam here.  

6 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

That is, if I left on day 45 I'd only get 15 days when I re-entered, assuming the SETV hadn't expired and I'd got a re-entry permit. 

Incorrect. The OP has mentioned going to HK for 4 days, if he was to make this trip on day 45, on re-entry he'd only get 11 days. 

3 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

So i cant get an re-entry whilst iam here in BKK on my current SETV ?

A single entry tourist visa qualifies you for a single 60-day stay. Using a re-entry permit does not change the end date of that 60-day permission to stay. It simply stops that permission to stay from being cancelled when you leave and subsequently re-enter Thailand.

If you plan to visit Hong Kong, that is actually a good place to get another tourist visa. You apply in the morning, and pick up the following day also in the morning.

EDIT: If you are not already aware of this, you can apply for a 30-day extension of your tourist entry at an immigration office in Thailand on payment of 1,900 baht.

Edited by BritTim

3 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Iam on my second SETV and its yet to expire.  It expires in May 2019.  My question is if i can get an re-entry on my current second SETV.  I know i wont be getting an extra 60 days but just a halt on the 60 day i have on SETV.  I am also looking for an additional 30 day extension on my SETV whilst iam in BKK

You can get a re-entry permit that will keep the remainder of the 60 day entry valid.

You will be stamped into the date your current 60 days ends,  A re-entry permit would add no days. Then you could extend that entry from the re-entry permit for 30 days at immigration.

19 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You have less consecutive-time than this fellow, but worth considering:

See, that's one story I am quite skeptical abouy. It comes from a new user, that never posted before or after.

I can create usernames all day long and post dummy stories if I want to.

A re-entry permit keeps one's permission of stay valid, so the permission of stay had already been granted on the previous occasion.

He went back to Jim with a re-entry permit in his passport (why he went to Jim is unclear, he was not seeking a visa), and then Jim said: use a land border. Then he used the land border with the re-entry permit (that by the way should not be valid anymore once a permission of stay has been cancelled?).

Too many holes in that story.

Edited by lkv

18 hours ago, lkv said:

See, that's one story I am quite skeptical abouy. It comes from a new user, that never posted before or after.

I can create usernames all day long and post dummy stories if I want to.

A re-entry permit keeps one's permission of stay valid, so the permission of stay had already been granted on the previous occasion.

He went back to Jim with a re-entry permit in his passport (why he went to Jim is unclear, he was not seeking a visa), and then Jim said: use a land border. Then he used the land border with the re-entry permit (that by the way should not be valid anymore once a permission of stay has been cancelled?).

Too many holes in that story.

lkv i refrained from further posts for personal reasons, but my account is genuine. Your suspicion re. why my permission of stay was overturned, effectively, is totally justified, because everything was overruled by the IO at DMK: re-entry permit and a further two weeks on my TV. I really don't want to be drawn into this again in depth, but to clarify why I went to speak with Jim, and what happened at Pedang Besar; I sought his advice because I was unsure I'd be able to get back into the country. Jim proposed a plan A & B, and luckily plan A worked. B was to apply for a new Visa. I passed through P. Besar without issue because none of my stamps mentioned above were invalidated at DMK - only a stamp in Thai inside the back page of my passport stating I was with insufficient funds, and the blue "Remark.." stamp across my most recent visa, issued in Laos. Hope that clarifies.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:19 AM, Number 6 said:

I think HK has never been especially friendly toward random single men fronting up for tourist type visas.

I used Hong Kong twice for tourist visa applications in the 2015-2016 time frame, and found it an excellent place to apply. I have read reports (mostly from many years ago, but some more recent) that suggest not everyone is as lucky. I am not sure why there are such differing experiences.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:31 AM, ThaiBunny said:

he OP assumes that by getting a re-entry permit he will get a fresh 60 days

so you know what is in his mind, which is not the same as what was in words in the op. for you all simple words