Alternatives to Thailand because Denied Entry in Chiangmai

I'm done with Thailand. Want to move to a new country where they'll value the dollars I spend in their economy. I can't afford elite visa. So, please don't suggest elite. I am single with a unsteady Thai GF. I know she will find a person when I leave her. 

I am living in Thailand, mostly in Chiangmai, for the last seven years using tourist visas, extensions, and visa exempt. My online business generate around 1200USD and I live a relaxed life. I was recently denied entry in Chiangmai entering with a visa exempt. Eventually I entered using the land border. I have done numerous border runs and I am fed up with that. It's tiring and and unnecessary  expenses. I Want to move to a new place. Please advice countries where I have a chance to live with using my online incomes of around 30/40K baht per month. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Sri Lanka come to minds. Visa requirements for these countries. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done a lot of research on Vietnam and special Da Nang and it's been growing a lot the last few years and lot more opportunities to do business if one wishes. Great beaches and nature and cheap food and beers. Visa there is in your case tourist visa and that you can do as many times as you want, for now, who knows in the future. There are other options also depends on your plans. Get married and get 5 years visa:) There is a good forum there but I can't name it here but search google and you will find everything you need to know, check also youtube videos, its all there and for me, it gives a good feeling the things I see and read. So I only have the girlfriend here that makes me drag my feet or else I will be leaving tomorrow:)

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Add the Philippines to your shortlist. Visas are pretty easy, and living costs low, especially if you like to spend some of your time in bars. The main drawback is that the food scene is pretty dismal.

I will second that. You can stay there on a tourist visa, renewing now and then, for three years before you have to leave then come back. No hassles. And you can go to plenty of different places. I’m thinking of checking out Cebu the next time I’m in SE Asia.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The main drawback is that the food scene is pretty dismal.

I disagree - there are some really tasty foods in the Philippines, if you've ever gone to a wedding party and eaten lechon you would know what I'm talking about. But they are not as "food-focused" as the Thais are, so many of their dishes are more "plain", and less developed, it depends on what you are used to eating I suppose.

In the Philippines, they speak much better English, and the girls are certainly curvier. And it's still cheap, and visa regulations are much more friendly than Thailand.

If I was in your situation, it would be Philippines (but anywhere except Manila), or maybe Luang Prabang. In my personal opinion, Cambodia is too "third-world", Vietnam is too xenophobic towards Westerners, and Sri Lanka just doesn't seem as "safe".

If you're bringing in $1200 a month, then why not try Taipei? Very developed, good food, and stunning girls.

Like most places in the world, if you bring respect for the local culture and populace, you will be unlikely to encounter issues. You are an ambassador for your country, please don't besmirch the rest of us by only trying to see what you can personally get out of living in a different country. Instead of complaining about the people, why don't you do something to change it? And learn the bloody rules about the country's visas.

If you arrive in a country and show nothing but disdain for the culture, it's peoples, and it's food, then it's only a matter of time before someone walking around with a year's average earnings in their wallet gets robbed. So many Thais earn under 500 baht a day, flashing 50k at your local Pattaya hangout is not smart. It's a case of getting out what you put in. In most countries, showing an abject lack of respect for local cultures and traditions will not be outweighed by your wallet. Disrespectful farangs in Pattaya who chuck money around because they think that they are better than the bar ladies are labelled with a certain word in Thai, and it's not pleasant. It's sad that in today's society that we can have tourists from rich European or Scandinavian countries who because of exchange rates, are able to treat Thais with such utter disrespect. 

Why do you expect the locals who have been there for generations to show you any kind of respect, when you are fresh off the banana boat, don't speak the language, and turn your nose up at their foods?

South-East Asia has some amazing places to visit, beautiful scenery, lovely people and a very distinct culture. Don't ruin it by assuming that your white-privilege allows you to condemn their way of life, their culture and their values, just because you think that you are better than them. You are not.

3 hours ago, pr9spk said:

I disagree - there are some really tasty foods in the Philippines, if you've ever gone to a wedding party and eaten lechon you would know what I'm talking about.

Lechon is a delicacy and is very nice, but is not part of the daily fare - disgusting cold stodge. 

Thai cuisine is one of the best in the world, a taste-bud explosion. I agree that food in the Philippines doesn't have the same draw, but it is very cheap, and a damn sight better than the crap I used to eat in the UK when I was growing up. Go drinking with some Filipino guys and try a balut - it looks and tastes disgusting, but it's 99% protein and cures your hangover before it even started!

The elephant in the room when it comes to the Philippines is this guy Duterte, and the Catholicism of the country. The Philippines is undoubtedly a beautiful country, great weather, friendly people and the beaches are absolutely amazing, some of the best in the world.

But the grass is NOT always greener - do your own research.

Like most places in the world, if you bring respect for the local culture and populace,.....

After reading all of your post about flashing 50k, Pattaya etc, I get the impression that you've posted in the wrong thread...

7 hours ago, AndrewChinagmai said:

I'm done with Thailand. Want to move to a new country where they'll value the dollars I spend in their economy. I can't afford elite visa. So, please don't suggest elite. I am single with a unsteady Thai GF. I know she will find a person when I leave her. 

I am living in Thailand, mostly in Chiangmai, for the last seven years using tourist visas, extensions, and visa exempt. My online business generate around 1200USD

You're most likely being being treated much better than what your meager contribution to the economy entitles you to. I've read absurd posts just like this so many times here. "I pay taxes here, I should be able to vote here" or "I spend a whopping $30-40 thousand baht a month here and I should receive special treatment". One word comes to mind when I read posts like this>>> Delusional.

How relaxed of a life can it be on $1200 a month when you have to constantly do Visa runs? I don't judge any Westerner who wants to live like a local, but the fact is locals on 10,000 baht a month live better. They have access to cheap healthcare, cheap (likely free) accommodation, eat cheap food and don't have to do expensive border runs.....not to mention all the community and family support.

$1200 isn't enough for a monthly n2.5 mask budget in Chiang Mai.

My top-two favorite alternative destinations would be:

Angeles City (Philippines):

The good: safe to walk around, lots of good nightlife options (many bars and a few night clubs), lots of western food options (I don't eat local food anyway so Thai vs Filipino food is irrelevant), everything is cheaper than Thailand, good exchange rate (currently).

The bad: slow cell service and internet as a whole, lots of husslers on the street trying to sell you shit, everything you'd expect from a "party town".

Neither: loads and loads of hookers and ladyboys (this is good for some, bad for others). The city's main trade is sex, pretty much.

Phnom Penh (Cambodia):

The good: safe, some nightlife (but not as much as AC), food options, cheaper than Thailand (but not as cheap as AC), they mostly use USD as currency so (I) don't have to worry about exchange rates.

The bad: slow internet (but better than Philippines), a bit small - might get boring if staying for a long time.

I don't want to leave Thailand (Bangkok), but will probably spend more time (and money...) in both those places to avoid immigration headaches in the future.

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Add the Philippines to your shortlist. Visas are pretty easy, and living costs low, especially if you like to spend some of your time in bars. The main drawback is that the food scene is pretty dismal.

Thanks, added. Any recommended city for your personal experience. Please don't post second hand information. 

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Not in SE Asia...but, checkout Panama...many perks and easy visas make this a place to consider...

Interesting idea. May be I should explore that and forget about SE Asia.

2 hours ago, pr9spk said:

If you arrive in a country and show nothing but disdain for the culture, it's peoples, and it's food, then it's only a matter of time before someone walking around with a year's average earnings in their wallet gets robbed. So many Thais earn under 500 baht a day, flashing 50k at your local Pattaya hangout is not smart.

Not sure what're you talking about. I never did such thing. Invested time, money, and efforts to learn the language at basic level. On the contrary, if you open any thread in TV forum, you will find the kind of reaction people post that says all about their attitude towards Thailand and Thais. 

In my opinion, the Philippines is only superficially appealing. The food is horrendous especially if you have high BP or cholesterol. The veggies not fresh, fruit is old. Everything is overpriced for foreigners and everyone will want a piece of you. Foreigners pay premium rates for hotels, even ghs. It's difficult to get utilities established. Unemployment is chronic. Everyone speaks English but no one's especially interesting to talk to. I find Filipinos and the culture extremely dull. The poverty is crushing and the nation is ruled by Chinese merchant politico class. The place is absolutely hopeless. I have never met quality foreigners there, it's always guys on the run from debt or the law. Alcoholics. The girls are mercenary, many scams exist and they work extortion rackets with the cops. The cops are worst on the planet I think. There is not even the semblance of fairness and law. Also... happened to a friend (truly, not me). He was at ATM and stupid ignorant woman could not figure it out. After waiting far too long he became upset and cursed her. She told the bank, cops came, hassled and fined him. The place operates at a really stupid even childish level. Everyone has degrees but they are utterly worthless. Everyone unemployed. The younger women can be cute but as they age even into early 20s their bodies go fast imo due to poor diet.

Filipinos are not Asians although there are obviously mixed ethnicities. They are Pacific Islanders. This is the mentality.

When people think of hard working ambitious Filipinos, yeah the ones smart enough and educated enough to get out of the Philippines.

Philippines has always been known as the sick man of Asia. Vietnam, sleeping powerhouse will catch it and surpass it quickly. Why? Thailand and Philippines we're at parity early 70s.

Enjoy it for a year. Hope you're not blackmailed.

Refuge of scoundrels

Take a break in Vietnam. Chang Mai has direct flight to Hanoi and Saigon plus Air Asia are about to add Da Nang.

Hanoi is full on and loved by many. Grab a hotel for 1,000baht in the Old Quarter and enjoy.

Nha Trang is mentioned here but that's full on Chinese and Russian package tourists if that's what you want but Doc Let 50kms north is another world.

Da Nang another mentioned and if it's city living you want then give it a go. Hoi An down the road is more laid back but very much on the tourist map but worth a look.

Somewhere more sedate to ease into the country? Look at Quy Nhon midway between Nha Trang and Da Nang. Laid back as only just starting to appear on the tourist map and you can get clean hotel room for 500baht (family run Ngoc Linh for one). For the record AQI here today is 53!

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

After reading all of your post about flashing 50k, Pattaya etc, I get the impression that you've posted in the wrong thread...

It seems that you didn't read any of my posts then, obviously.

I was advising people to NOT flash cash around, and I hate Pattaya. If you had read my posts then you would have known this. Maybe there were too many words for you, though. Next time I will make it simpler.

Maybe think before you post.

Another thing to keep in mind, is where you are going to "boomboom" when you get a bit bored with you wife. In an Issan village, every smile you dispense to the local "hotties" will get reported to you MIL. I get all my medical done at Bumrungrad which is a stone throw from Nana.  And then it remains a small world...????

Archived