Alternatives to Thailand because Denied Entry in Chiangmai

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

I am referring to CAMBODIAN requirements.

OK but you're quoting the law as if there's no flexibility. "ER visa extensions are usually only granted to those who are 55 and up, but some have reported being able to get one at a younger age. Those 55 and up are not usually asked to show evidence of retirement, but those under 55 will be asked. Often, proof of savings is enough.  The criteria for those under 55 have not been defined and varies depending on which agent you use to apply." https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning-your-move-to-cambodia/cambodia-visas/

On 3/23/2019 at 11:53 PM, BritTim said:

Add the Philippines to your shortlist. Visas are pretty easy, and living costs low, especially if you like to spend some of your time in bars. The main drawback is that the food scene is pretty dismal.

+1 for PI. If Thailand became unbearable for me I'd head for PIs. I haven't been there for a long time but have fond memories. So many beautiful islands & beaches, I found the people so friendly, way more than Thais, as for food, there was so much good farang food available, I had local food many times and can't recall it being bad as many claim, though I agree Thailand excells on good cheap food. Beer was remarkably cheap when I was in PIs.

• 5 months later...
On March 29, 2019 at 1:44 AM, sanemax said:

Just a quick question : I recently purchased an AirAsia ticket online  , whats the procedure , do I have to download the ticket or just turn up at the airport (with no ticket) ?

Booking number is all u need, just give them your passport, your booking will be in the system. Easy.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:15 PM, SteveK said:

Like most places in the world, if you bring respect for the local culture and populace, you will be unlikely to encounter issues. You are an ambassador for your country, please don't besmirch the rest of us by only trying to see what you can personally get out of living in a different country. Instead of complaining about the people, why don't you do something to change it? And learn the bloody rules about the country's visas.

If you arrive in a country and show nothing but disdain for the culture, it's peoples, and it's food, then it's only a matter of time before someone walking around with a year's average earnings in their wallet gets robbed. So many Thais earn under 500 baht a day, flashing 50k at your local Pattaya hangout is not smart. It's a case of getting out what you put in. In most countries, showing an abject lack of respect for local cultures and traditions will not be outweighed by your wallet. Disrespectful farangs in Pattaya who chuck money around because they think that they are better than the bar ladies are labelled with a certain word in Thai, and it's not pleasant. It's sad that in today's society that we can have tourists from rich European or Scandinavian countries who because of exchange rates, are able to treat Thais with such utter disrespect. 

Why do you expect the locals who have been there for generations to show you any kind of respect, when you are fresh off the banana boat, don't speak the language, and turn your nose up at their foods?

South-East Asia has some amazing places to visit, beautiful scenery, lovely people and a very distinct culture. Don't ruin it by assuming that your white-privilege allows you to condemn their way of life, their culture and their values, just because you think that you are better than them. You are not.

At whom is this sermon aimed? Its very worthy but a bit of a non sequitur.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, TSF said:

+1 for PI. If Thailand became unbearable for me I'd head for PIs. I haven't been there for a long time but have fond memories. So many beautiful islands & beaches, I found the people so friendly, way more than Thais, as for food, there was so much good farang food available, I had local food many times and can't recall it being bad as many claim, though I agree Thailand excells on good cheap food. Beer was remarkably cheap when I was in PIs.

Not safe to walk around at night except in busy streets. Guns everywhere. Local food dreadful. Nightlife/Girly scene fading out. Poor infrastructure ....But Im glad somebody mention Sri Lanka. Ive never been but will check it out...

On 3/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, TSF said:

Not safe to walk around at night except in busy streets. Guns everywhere. Local food dreadful. Nightlife/Girly scene fading out. Poor infrastructure ....But Im glad somebody mention Sri Lanka. Ive never been but will check it out...

Archived