Ford Ranger Raptor

bkmbkk

Didn't one of the TV members recently reported buying a Ford Ranger and it developed rust issues and he contacted Ford but didn't receive any assistance about the problem  ...  ?????

does anyone know what happened ?  tks

On 3/24/2019 at 4:09 PM, thaiguzzi said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Bet she has.

1.7 mil.

Nice.

????????????

Over 40k GBP for a vehicle? A pick up....:ninja:

Madness.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:15 PM, bkmbkk said:

Does it mean you also has no experience with it ?

Yup. Same as you.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, bkmbkk said:

So you are seeing many in the Sois and it is overpriced !

All the buyers are wrong ?

And yet you are the one asking...

On 3/23/2019 at 11:55 PM, bkmbkk said:

Can the 2L engine do the job ? Normal usage / no offroad

On 3/25/2019 at 3:38 PM, transam said:

Like most things, stuff that has past all the tests to go into production "should" be near bullet proof, but it seems a small percentage of "bullet proof" stuff ain't...

In the years I have been reading motoring stuff on here Ford must be near top of the list for problem chat...????

But then again you have this incredibly long memory akin to a steel trap.

19 hours ago, bkmbkk said:

Your Avatar sums up your life, me think

In the meantime, no word if any TV'ers are owners of a Raptor and if they think it's the dogs balls or otherwise. In the interim, we are simply helping to keep your thread top of the pile just in case someone does come along with a valid opinion.

So getting back on topic, what are you expecting? You've probably read and re-read all the specs, worn out the sales brochure and looked at all the same YouTube's as everyone else so what motivated you to lay down cash, sight unseen, on your sports lorry?

My opinion is that it's probably a bit OTT for the average Thai pickup aficionado and the sexy Fox suspension will be a bit lost on the regular Somchai. If I had the cash, I might consider getting one as I've had a couple of Rangers already, luckily both good 'uns so would have something to compare as in King Edward versus Kerr's Pink. However, if I had loadsamoney, I would try and sneak this one in on my hand-carry (without the silly LED-bar on the roof tho').

Hennessey-Ranger-Raptor.thumb.jpg.b6ec4cd1ef6990617f81b82d19ce39cd.jpg

IMO - If you have had no replies from Thai Visa Raptor owners, it's because there aren't any.

This may tell you something... i.e. that ThaiVisa members (mostly Western Foreigners) think the Raptor is overpriced for what you get and for the same money you could buy something better.

Yet there are many Thai Visa members who own the Ford Ranger, which is much less.... Or the Ford Everest which is similarly priced to the Raptor.

After all the online reviews etc any issues should be highlighted already...  The major issue in Thailand is the quality of Ford Customer Service (which has been widely discussed on this forum - one of the reasons I actually walked away from a good deal (200k off) on an Everest because the personnel in the Ford garage were a pain in the backside to deal with).

Thus: Not just happiness with the vehicle itself but the whole package, including customer service must be evaluated - I'm sure others can elaborate on their experiences a little more with better first hand experience.

we bought a Nissam Navara Calibre Sportech, its the top of the range but a 2 wheel drive 4 door as we dont plan on driving off road so why pay for 4 wd. I have a spinal injury so comfort is a must and this is great, long drives are very comfortable, its great to drive and has all the bells and whistles, best part is it was only 900,000 less a discount so even better. Looked at the fords but they have a bad reputation for parts and problems, were not as comfortable for me to sit in and for the same as we got were over 1 million, too over priced for what they offer. Up to each person but we bought what was comfortable for me as I am the main driver, looks great and drives well then again we werent worried about face value like many thais are,  much prefer value for money, comfort and reliability also even my wife can parallel park it with no problems, makes a big difference when they are easy to park as well

Nissan cars and trucks are the best priced and equipped - for the price - in LOS

Can buy one of them new and have enuf money left for a new car

Raptor - Plastic Fantastic. Just imagine what those Fox shocks cost when replacement time comes.

Plus they are very wide - seen some at Central Festival and the tires touch both lines in a parking slot.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, bkmbkk said:

No !

I know how it looks and Tech Specs.

I have not driven it myself, but my test driver has.

The question was what your experiences are with the ride ?

Squishy like driving an underpowered marshmallow, it was  way too  soggy for my liking.

8 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Squishy like driving an underpowered marshmallow, it was  way too  soggy for my liking.

Perhaps.

However most reviews say it could be nice with more power, but it is pretty good as is.

If they compare to USA Raptors with V8 than that's understandable.

What do you compare it to ?

When I bought my 520d many said - don't buy a 5 series with a 2L engine - it is under powered !

Nonsens ! I don't know many cars on the Thai roads that are as powerfull as that thing standard, let alone after receiving a ICU tuning (just for the sake of it). 

12 hours ago, bkmbkk said:

He said...

21 hours ago, gunderhill said:

...like driving an underpowered marshmallow

Since that's a marque that I haven't even heard of, then you can make your own call on his judgment.

I looked at a few (more) YouTube's and noted that despite all the bi-turbo, 10-speed and 'Baja' suspension, it can't carry and/or tow as much as a Wildtrak. That would be the deal breaker for me as I don't use the 4x4 just to go to the malls. I find my current PX quite a nice fit in most car parks except some Tesco-Lotus ones (but I don't go there too often) so the natural added girth of a Raptor would be a concern. With 2.5" lift, I would need to rethink some of my underground parking options too.

As for generic Ranger power, the older 2.2 on the original 2011 PX was suggested by many non-Ford owners to be insufficient but I and many other owners had no issues, even when carrying a load. My current 3.2 WT is even better equipped in that regard.

Apart from the interior (I always considered the Mazda BT-50's derivative's interior much more appealing than the Ford Rangers), the Raptor styling is really good. Form and functionality IMHO. It's up to the individual to decide what sort of functionality he or she desires.

PS. I hope you or your partner didn't option the garish Raptor stickerization. If they did, plenty YouTube's out there showing how to get rid of them.

On 3/26/2019 at 1:25 AM, bkmbkk said:

Still no Raptor owner has replied ?

I'm supriced many looks at it as a overkill or luxury buy beyond "normal".

It is on par with what the Fortuner brigade pays for their stuff, which is pretty common here !

Anyway I have made my choice, and was just asking if anyone could confirm a good experience with it.

Im sure power and suspension will be fine.

I have been using a 2016 Hilux 4x4 as a daily at work for 2 years and this is the stiffest most uncomfortable thing on uneven roads I have ever driven.

t is actually so stiff empty, it is close to being dangerous to drive.

I choosed the Raptor over SUV's that are 3-4 times more expensive (actually my test driver did), so if it's only bling factor we are after , we may have screwed it up.

I bought a Raptor sight unseen. Put myself on the pre-production waiting list.

Ride is wonderfully smooth. Extremely quiet. Sound system and infotainment

top notch. Could not be happier and will surely keep it for years to come.

Tiny bit of turbo lag, but the smooth 10 speed transmission allows you to quickly set that aside. I usually throw it in sport mode for a bit more response.

Prefer it to my other new German car in the driveway.

I’m certain you will love it.

1 hour ago, Cisco said:

I bought a Raptor sight unseen. Put myself on the pre-production waiting list.

Ride is wonderfully smooth. Extremely quiet. Sound system and infotainment

top notch. Could not be happier and will surely keep it for years to come.

Tiny bit of turbo lag, but the smooth 10 speed transmission allows you to quickly set that aside. I usually throw it in sport mode for a bit more response.

Prefer it to my other new German car in the driveway.

I’m certain you will love it.

Thanks for that !

A reply from a guy that owns one - sounds more like what I imagined it would be like,

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

He said...

Since that's a marque that I haven't even heard of, then you can make your own call on his judgment.

I looked at a few (more) YouTube's and noted that despite all the bi-turbo, 10-speed and 'Baja' suspension, it can't carry and/or tow as much as a Wildtrak. That would be the deal breaker for me as I don't use the 4x4 just to go to the malls. I find my current PX quite a nice fit in most car parks except some Tesco-Lotus ones (but I don't go there too often) so the natural added girth of a Raptor would be a concern. With 2.5" lift, I would need to rethink some of my underground parking options too.

As for generic Ranger power, the older 2.2 on the original 2011 PX was suggested by many non-Ford owners to be insufficient but I and many other owners had no issues, even when carrying a load. My current 3.2 WT is even better equipped in that regard.

Apart from the interior (I always considered the Mazda BT-50's derivative's interior much more appealing than the Ford Rangers), the Raptor styling is really good. Form and functionality IMHO. It's up to the individual to decide what sort of functionality he or she desires.

PS. I hope you or your partner didn't option the garish Raptor stickerization. If they did, plenty YouTube's out there showing how to get rid of them.

Towing capacity is 2500 Kg , down 1000 kg from the WT.

No problem for me, I want it for comfort rather than towing, Same for the pay load at 738 Kg = more than enough for me !

As for the height and width it's properly not the best underground parking truck out there, than again it is good on flooded roads.

I will take a good look at the stickers , they might have to go.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:53 PM, NanLaew said:

Since that's a marque that I haven't even heard of, then you can make your own call on his judgment

Nissan Navara 190hp  model and Chevrolet pick up  both felt  much quicker and more  responsive, Chevrolet felt much tauter than the marshmallow Raptor I drove. The Raptor is also quite a bit heavier than both.

I wouldn't buy anything new without a  decent test drive first, that's my judgement

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 1:25 AM, bkmbkk said:

Still no Raptor owner has replied ?

I'm supriced many looks at it as a overkill or luxury buy beyond "normal".

It is on par with what the Fortuner brigade pays for their stuff, which is pretty common here !

Anyway I have made my choice, and was just asking if anyone could confirm a good experience with it.

Im sure power and suspension will be fine.

I have been using a 2016 Hilux 4x4 as a daily at work for 2 years and this is the stiffest most uncomfortable thing on uneven roads I have ever driven.

t is actually so stiff empty, it is close to being dangerous to drive.

I choosed the Raptor over SUV's that are 3-4 times more expensive (actually my test driver did), so if it's only bling factor we are after , we may have screwed it up.

There all just jealous mate. Don’t worry about it. Join the Thailand For Raptor FB group. It’s mainly in Thai but if you ask in English you will get honest non jealous remarks

im getting one next week and looking very much forward to it. 

Neil

But which pickup is the most powerful ? Is the Benz better than the usual Japanese $hit ?
All trucks that I tried behave like tractors, they are awful, how can you drive this ?!
Anything with 200hp at least ?!

The Benz IS Japanese “sh*t”. The Mercedes Benz X Class is a Nissan Navara with a Benz badge. The standard Diesel engine is a Nissan diesel. Some of the bigger engines are Mercedes, but everything else is Nissan Navara. They are made on the same production line in SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/30/2019 at 1:21 AM, bkmbkk said:

Perhaps.

However most reviews say it could be nice with more power, but it is pretty good as is.

If they compare to USA Raptors with V8 than that's understandable.

When I bought my 520d many said - don't buy a 5 series with a 2L engine - it is under powered !

Nonsens ! I don't know many cars on the Thai roads that are as powerfull as that thing standard, let alone after receiving a ICU tuning (just for the sake of it). 

Where did you get your 520d tuned ??

1 hour ago, Paul52 said:

The Benz IS Japanese “sh*t”. The Mercedes Benz X Class is a Nissan Navara with a Benz badge. The standard Diesel engine is a Nissan diesel. Some of the bigger engines are Mercedes, but everything else is Nissan Navara. They are made on the same production line in SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Merc X is not Japanese "shit", besides, you tell me what Japanese pickup is "shit"....?

The Merc has a choice of the Nissan 4 pot or the Merc 6 pot. It uses the Nissan floor pan, but many aspects of the Merc are different to the Nissan. It is assembled by Nissan with parts supplied by MB... 

Archived