How To Determine If A Dtac Mobile Will Work In UK

JetsetBkk

The mobile is a OnePlus 2.

From Wikipedia: Connectivity All models:
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850, 900, 1,800 and 1,900 MHz; Bands: 1/2/4/5/8;
FDD-LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/7/8/12/17
Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) (2.4/5 GHz), Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot, DLNA, Bluetooth 4.1, A2DP, A-GPS & GLONASS, USB-C, USB OTG, USB Host

The SIM is a Dtac nano-Sim "Dtac Trinet"

The Dtac shop in Big C told me that the phone has roaming enabled but that I should top up "a lot".

I understand that I can buy a "Roaming Package", but not sure if I need it - most Internet access will be by Wi-fi.

My main need will be for phone calls and SMS's to me from Thailand.

Just thinking if you want the phone on for calls from Thailand either you or the caller will hammered on cost for the call. Am pretty sure it will be you if a thai number rings you and you're the one roaming.

My UK sim costs £1 a minute to receive calls when I'm in Thailand. Needless to say I never answer

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

Just thinking if you want the phone on for calls from Thailand either you or the caller will hammered on cost for the call. Am pretty sure it will be you if a thai number rings you and you're the one roaming.

My UK sim costs £1 a minute to receive calls when I'm in Thailand. Needless to say I never answer

Thanks for your reply. A friend of mine went to Singapore IIRC and knew he would be downloading a lot of stuff from the internet so he bought a "Roaming Package" for about 1500 baht.

When he got back he got a very long bill from Dtac with the total at the bottom of close to a million baht. But at the top it said something like: "To pay: 0 baht"!

My main worry is that when I log in to my email in the UK, those clever people at Gmail or Hotmail will block me because i'm not in my usual territory. So they will send me an SMS with an OTP code. If I can't get the phone working, I'll not get the SMS and won't have email access.

This worry is pure speculation on my part. I just want to cover all eventualities.

^^

Wouldnt it be easier just to get a uk sim when in the uk. I use giffgaff which runs off o2 masts but plenty of others. The sims along with Voda O2 3 and all the other networks are available in all tescos and premier shops for £1

I pay £7.50 a month which gives 2gb of data 250 minutes of calls plus unlimited sms but all the providers do deals some doubtless better

I rarely use much of the data as most of the time its via wifi and maybe 50 minutes of calls a month

13 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Thanks for your reply. A friend of mine went to Singapore IIRC and knew he would be downloading a lot of stuff from the internet so he bought a "Roaming Package" for about 1500 baht.

When he got back he got a very long bill from Dtac with the total at the bottom of close to a million baht. But at the top it said something like: "To pay: 0 baht"!

My main worry is that when I log in to my email in the UK, those clever people at Gmail or Hotmail will block me because i'm not in my usual territory. So they will send me an SMS with an OTP code. If I can't get the phone working, I'll not get the SMS and won't have email access.

This worry is pure speculation on my part. I just want to cover all eventualities.

No need to top up with much credit. As Chivas has suggested, just turn Data Roaming off, as it is not needed to receive SMS.

Either via the Settings on your phone or by tapping in *104*72*9# and then pressing the Dial key.

When you arrive back in Thailand; *104*71*9# Dial key to re-enable.

I use my DTAC SIM in Canada strictly for receiving of OTP from Kasikorn Bank. I have roaming activated, but never use a roaming package because receiving of an international SMS is free via a local Canadian network. Once I insert the DTAC SIM in Canada, it can take several minutes to lock into a local cell network. Once I activate a banking transaction, it can take several minutes for the SMS to arrive. It has always worked this way. 

I would never use roaming to receive calls. It will cost you a fortune, as it certainly does in Canada. I have a Toronto local mobile package, oddly enough from 7-11 Canada, that does all the rest. A top-up is good for 365 days. Perfect.

13 hours ago, Chivas said:

^^

Wouldnt it be easier just to get a uk sim when in the uk. I use giffgaff which runs off o2 masts but plenty of others. The sims along with Voda O2 3 and all the other networks are available in all tescos and premier shops for £1

I pay £7.50 a month which gives 2gb of data 250 minutes of calls plus unlimited sms but all the providers do deals some doubtless better

I rarely use much of the data as most of the time its via wifi and maybe 50 minutes of calls a month

I need a phone number that various banks/Email providers know. My mobile is dual-SIM so I could get one for calls to Thailand.

13 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

No need to top up with much credit. As Chivas has suggested, just turn Data Roaming off, as it is not needed to receive SMS.

Either via the Settings on your phone or by tapping in *104*72*9# and then pressing the Dial key.

When you arrive back in Thailand; *104*71*9# Dial key to re-enable.

Thanks for this. Are you saying that "Roaming" is only about "Data Roaming"? i.e. downloading data from the Internet? Clearly, I'm no expert on this stuff!

12 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I use my DTAC SIM in Canada strictly for receiving of OTP from Kasikorn Bank. I have roaming activated, but never use a roaming package because receiving of an international SMS is free via a local Canadian network. Once I insert the DTAC SIM in Canada, it can take several minutes to lock into a local cell network. Once I activate a banking transaction, it can take several minutes for the SMS to arrive. It has always worked this way. 

I would never use roaming to receive calls. It will cost you a fortune, as it certainly does in Canada. I have a Toronto local mobile package, oddly enough from 7-11 Canada, that does all the rest. A top-up is good for 365 days. Perfect.

Excellent information - thanks very much.

9 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Thanks for this. Are you saying that "Roaming" is only about "Data Roaming"? i.e. downloading data from the Internet? Clearly, I'm no expert on this stuff!

Let's say there are two kinds of Roaming. GSM(calls and SMS in your case) Roaming and Data Roaming(Internet etc). You need only the first, so disable Data Roaming in the way I have described.

On 3/24/2019 at 12:36 AM, Chivas said:

My Truesim is activated for roaming in the uk (for OTP use) but I sure as hell wouldnt turn on sim data lol. It would eat the balance in seconds literally

I want to do this too on my AIS postpaid sim to pay bills when I'm away. How do you activate it to allow for OTP use without activating sim data generally? 

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I want to do this too on my AIS postpaid sim to pay bills when I'm away. How do you activate it to allow for OTP use without activating sim data generally? 

Presumably you receive OTP's by SMS (as I do in the case of my AIS prepaid SIM)? If so, Data roaming won't be reactivated automatically as a consequence (assuming that you have already deactivated this). You will, of course, need to ensure that GSM roaming is activated to enable you to receive SMS'd OTP's.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Presumably you receive OTP's by SMS (as I do in the case of my AIS prepaid SIM)? If so, Data roaming won't be reactivated automatically as a consequence (assuming that you have already deactivated this). You will, of course, need to ensure that GSM roaming is activated to enable you to receive SMS'd OTP's.

Yes, if I pay a bill in Thailand I get an OTP by SMS. However I've purposely never done anything to activate roaming while out of the country. My phone settings only have a single option, to switch on data roaming or not - I don't know what you mean by GSM roaming, or some other roaming option that wouldn't use up data?

Would I be able to get around this by enabling international roaming on my phone, but then switching off data the moment I leave the country and use WiFi only, other than for the couple of minutes I need an OTP? 

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

And there is no charge for receiving SMS via roaming with AIS.

On 3/31/2019 at 12:45 AM, lamyai3 said:

Read post #11.

Activate Roaming in general via AIS, (*125*1# and then press the Dial key)but turn off data via the phone settings. 

Read post #11.

Activate Roaming in general via AIS, (*125*1# and then press the Dial key)but turn off data via the phone settings. 
This should work but as an extra precaution if using the Thai SIM only for OTPs and the like, disable that sim except when you need to receive a message. That's what I do.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/31/2019 at 4:26 PM, surat04 said:

Don't AIS have an app you can install to manage your services.
I use the Dtac app to enable roaming.Screenshot_20190331-102234.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for this info. My experience of turning on International Roaming was a little different...  ????

1655176320_Dtacintroamingx400.jpg.8fe5cf53f533ec2c10535d713b521452.jpg

I also don't understand why it currently shows Roaming Service (IR) is off, Data Roaming is off, and International Call (voice roaming and international call) is on.

I hope I find out (after 10 minutes when I'll try again) and see what options I get when I succeed in turning Roaming Service (IR) on.

833578752_Dtacintroaming2x400.jpg.23cb14c68304f13546dd08a40f63a634.jpg

On 4/2/2019 at 2:27 PM, JetsetBkk said:

I also don't understand why it currently shows Roaming Service (IR) is off, Data Roaming is off, and International Call (voice roaming and international call) is on.

I hope I find out (after 10 minutes when I'll try again) and see what options I get when I succeed in turning Roaming Service (IR) on.

833578752_Dtacintroaming2x400.jpg.23cb14c68304f13546dd08a40f63a634.jpg

How did it go?

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

How did it go?

It didn't.    I tried again later - same result.

So I just tried again. After tapping the "Roaming Service (IR)" button, I got the same error:

26446114_DtacRoamingErrorx700.jpg.6bd2fca09de7a1c435aa1340c8e1aba4.jpg

I'll have to go to Dtac and find out what's going on.

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

It didn't.    I tried again later - same result.

So I just tried again. After tapping the "Roaming Service (IR)" button, I got the same error:

26446114_DtacRoamingErrorx700.jpg.6bd2fca09de7a1c435aa1340c8e1aba4.jpg

I'll have to go to Dtac and find out what's going on.

Just tap in the code, forget about the App

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Just tap in the code, forget about the App

Good idea! So I entered *104*71*9#, pressed the Dial key, got the "Processing... wait for SMS" message, got the SMS message and it said:

"You've activated internet & MMS already. Thank you."

2019_4_7_1_26_1.jpg.9ae2f259c8745a3c639200cd1395aea3.jpg

And the Dtac app is still saying what it did earlier. 

Archived