Eight migrant workers killed, two missing in Kanchanaburi road accident

rooster59

Eight migrant workers killed, two missing in Kanchanaburi road accident

By The Nation

4e9c94e766bbcc359bb6aa6e411c3988.jpeg

Eight Myanmar migrants drowned and two others are missing presumed dead after a van they were travelling in was hit by a 10-wheel truck and both vehicles plunged into a canal in Kanchanaburi's Tha Muang district on Saturday.

Police said the accident happened at 12.10pm at the Sa Setthi Intersection in Tambon Ban Mai.

About 100 rescuers rushed to the scene to try to save the passengers who were trapped inside the van.

The rescuers retrieved eight bodies, one of them a pregnant woman. Four were rescued and were sent to a nearby hospital.

Officials said two migrants were still missing.

Police said the van was taking the migrants back to Myanmar.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366370

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-23

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

100 rescuers rushed to the scene

Can you imagine what a mess that would have been? All 100 tried to save the 10 people and how many were leading the search? none?

That particular junction is a known blackspot and should have traffic lights. Drivers just go straight through without a look for other traffic crossing.

How the minibus didn't see the approaching lorry is beyond me.

Why the lorry didn't slow down more as it approaches the junction  is also beyond me.

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

How the minibus didn't see the approaching lorry is beyond me.

Why the lorry didn't slow down more as it approaches the junction  is also beyond me.

Simple really....driving awareness and road safety/common sense is alien to many folks here....until those at the top impose stricter laws and make the driving "test" far more difficult the carnage will continue :whistling:

Archived