Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 April 2019 10:13
rooster59

Passengers airlifted from crippled cruise ship in storm off Norway

Recommended Posts

Passengers airlifted from crippled cruise ship in storm off Norway

By Terje Solsvik and Gwladys Fouche

 

800x800.jpg

A cruise ship Viking Sky drifts towards land after an engine failure, Hustadvika, Norway March 23, 2019. Frank Einar Vatne/NTB Scanpix/via REUTERS

 

OSLO (Reuters) - Rescue helicopters evacuated more than 150 people from a luxury cruise ship which suffered engine failure on Saturday in stormy weather off the west coast of Norway, police and rescue workers said.

 

The maritime rescue service said the Viking Sky, with 1,373 passengers and crew on board, had sent out a mayday signal as it had been drifting towards land in the Norwegian Sea.

 

The ship was carrying 915 passengers, of which "a large number" were from the United States and Britain, the rescue service said, although it declined to be more specific.

 

The crew was able to restart one of the ship's four engines and the vessel was at anchor about 2 km (1.24 miles) from land and the passengers were considered safe although the evacuation was set to continue throughout the night.

 

Some 155 people had been evacuated by 2140 GMT, rescue service spokesman Per Fjeld said.

 

The sea was very rough and eight of those pulled from the ship had suffered injuries, with three of those considered severe, public broadcaster NRK reported, quoting unnamed sources.

 

Passengers were hoisted one-by-one from the deck of the vessel and airlifted to a village just north of the town of Molde on Norway's west coast.

 

Cruise passengers described the moment when the ship's engines stopped, and the evacuation that followed.

 

"We were having lunch when it began to shake. Window panes were broken and water came in. It was just chaos. The trip on the helicopter, I would rather forget. It was not fun," American passenger John Curry told public broadcaster NRK.

 

Images and film posted by passengers on social media showed furniture sliding around as the vessel drifted in waves of up to eight metres (26 feet).

 

"Our first priority was for the safety and wellbeing of our passengers and our crew, and in close cooperation with the Norwegian Coast Guard, the captain decided to evacuate all guests from the vessel by helicopter," Viking Cruises said in a statement to Reuters.

 

"The evacuation is proceeding with all necessary caution," the company added. "Guests are being accommodated in local hotels when they arrive back on shore, and Viking will arrange for return flights for all guests."

 

A second vessel, a freighter with a crew of nine, was also being evacuated nearby after suffering engine failure, diverting helicopters and thus delaying the cruise ship airlift, the rescue centre added.

 

Two purpose-built vessels operated by the Norwegian Society for Sea Rescue had been forced to turn back due to the severe weather, the service said.

 

The wind was blowing at 24 metres per second (86 kph/54 mph), according to the Norwegian Meteorological Institute, and the storm was expected to last at least until midnight local time (2300 GMT).

 

The stretch of water known as Hustadvika and surrounding areas are known for fierce weather and shallow waters dotted with reefs.

 

Norway is considering safety improvements for those travelling along its extensive coastline, including preliminary plans for a giant ocean tunnel through a mountain near the spot where the Viking Sky had halted.

 

Built in 2017, the ship belongs to Viking Ocean Cruises, part of the Viking Cruises group founded by Norwegian billionaire Torstein Hagen.

 

Several vessels and four helicopters took part in the rescue and facilities to receive passengers have been set up on land, the rescue service said.

 

All search and rescue teams in the region are mobilising, including 60 volunteers from the Norwegian Red Cross, a spokesman said.

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-23

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God I hope they don’t have any flooding those things are unstable under the best of conditions un powered and unstable not good and they know it otherwise they wouldn’t attempt evacuation under those conditions I’m keeping my fingers crossed hoping for the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're building these things bigger and bigger and packing more and more human cattle and sheeple into them. Imagine if a contagious virus was spread by one of the el cheapo  staff they recruit on their journeys.The ship would become a floating morgue. These jugernaughts look the same as the live sheep carriers that take thousands of hapless creatures from OZ to Saudi Arabia for slaughter.

Not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucius I’m (onboard)with your comment on the contagion issue I’m more concerned about stability those ships are top heavy it doesent take that much water in her bilges to make her unstable they lost a car ferry in the Middle East about 10 yrs back killed 1500 people and believe me they would not attempt evacuation under those conditions if they felt they had a choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tug said:

God I hope they don’t have any flooding those things are unstable under the best of conditions un powered and unstable not good and they know it otherwise they wouldn’t attempt evacuation under those conditions I’m keeping my fingers crossed hoping for the best

What makes you think that the ship is unstable? The main problem with cruise ships is their "sail area", the large number of decks, mostly empty that cause strong winds to be a problem. It's notgoing to capsize the ship though. As long as the anchors hold it doesn't much matter if they are 100m offshore or 100 miles. What they need is a tug, which I guess is enroute.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hustadvika is one of 3 areas along the Norwegian coast where the seas can get WILD rapidly.

 

Sounds rather odd though, 4 out of 4 engines failing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Hustadvika is one of 3 areas along the Norwegian coast where the seas can get WILD rapidly.

 

Sounds rather odd though, 4 out of 4 engines failing.

 

Noing nothing else of the matter, One might first suspect fuel quality or fuel pumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

What makes you think that the ship is unstable? The main problem with cruise ships is their "sail area", the large number of decks, mostly empty that cause strong winds to be a problem. It's notgoing to capsize the ship though. As long as the anchors hold it doesn't much matter if they are 100m offshore or 100 miles. What they need is a tug, which I guess is enroute.

What makes me think they are unstable?i am a liscenced captian,I was commercial diver for 34 years till I got to old and I was raised on a large sailing vessel I have a surperb eye for seaworthiness I’ve spent my life on and under it they are tall narrow for their leingth and fairly shallow draft they do pass stability tests but anything ontoward affect them in a hurry keep your fingers crossed they would not abandon in those conditions unless there is grave danger

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Passengers were hoisted one-by-one from the deck of the vessel and airlifted to a village

god i wish they had this in Hua Hin. :clap2:I would be the first to be lifted out of this giant landlocked cruise ship.  :cheesy:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Tug said:

What makes me think they are unstable?i am a liscenced captian,I was commercial diver for 34 years till I got to old and I was raised on a large sailing vessel I have a surperb eye for seaworthiness I’ve spent my life on and under it they are tall narrow for their leingth and fairly shallow draft they do pass stability tests but anything ontoward affect them in a hurry keep your fingers crossed they would not abandon in those conditions unless there is grave danger

 

I am a licensed Master Mariner,Oceans, Steam or Motor, Any Gross Tonnage, as well, if that's what you are. Tell me about all the cruise ships you are aware of that have capsized without having run aground first.

Edited by lannarebirth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Estonia for starters that one in Korea that killed all those high school kids I can’t think of the name of the ship in the Middle East but I do rember reading about they had a fire aboard the water used to fight the fire made her unstable causing her loss btw why do you think they would abandon in those conditions the Estonia also carried cars trucks and passengers similar top heavy design I looked up that accident her name was ms al salam Boccaccio 98 it happened in 2006 loss of approximately 1000 lives

Edited by Tug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tug said:

The Estonia for starters that one in Korea that killed all those high school kids I can’t think of the name of the ship in the Middle East but I do rember reading about they had a fire aboard the water used to fight the fire made her unstable causing her loss btw why do you think they would abandon in those conditions the Estonia also carried cars trucks and passengers similar top heavy design I looked up that accident her name was ms al salam Boccaccio 98 it happened in 2006 loss of approximately 1000 lives

 

The Estonia was not a cruise ship, it was a ferry which had bow doors that became not watertight in a storm, but not a particularly singular storm in the Balitc. It flooded.  The Korean ship was overloaded and also a ferry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm struggling to understand how a diesel electric cruise ship can have engine failure. It has four engines. 

 

Also more than one propulsion motor. 

 

Even if someone forgot the transfer fuel to a day tank that would probably only have been for one engine.

 

We will never know.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I'm struggling to understand how a diesel electric cruise ship can have engine failure. It has four engines. 

 

Also more than one propulsion motor. 

 

Even if someone forgot the transfer fuel to a day tank that would probably only have been for one engine.

 

We will never know.

 

 

In a nut shell probably bad fuel and for lannarebirth toro ferry’s are a very similar top heavy design

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

What they need is a tug

No need for smut.

2 hours ago, Tug said:

I have a surperb eye for seaworthiness

And modest with it. 

 

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

 

I am a licensed Master Mariner,Oceans, Steam or Motor, Any Gross Tonnage

Checkmate. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...