Driver and 14 passengers injured in Chachoengsao van accident

rooster59

Driver and 14 passengers injured in Chachoengsao van accident

By The Nation

e90d93e34baf767343a21e1eb14ddf4e778b70a9c6bc82b381742a33839dfcfb.jpg

Image: Siam Rath

Nine Cambodian and five Thai passengers were injured on Saturday when the van they were travelling in fell into a roadside ditch in Chachoengsao's Phanom Sarakham district.

Police said the accident happened at 4am on the Chachoensao-Kabin Buri road in Tambon Muang Kao.

The bus driver and 14 passengers were slightly injured and sent to Phanom Sarakham Hospital.

The van driver, Theerapong Yodsuebpah, 32, told police that he dozed off behind the wheel, causing the van to stray off the road.

He said he picked up the passengers from Nonthaburi and Bankok's Don Muang district to take them to Chanthaburi's Pong Nam Ron district.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366364

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-24

The feeling is you have read this before, its starting to become just normal routine. 14 passengers in a van I wouldn't load with more than 7. Will anyone ever tackle overloading in this country, be it pick-ups, lorries, vans or m'bikes. At least this one wasn't going as fast or hit anything substantial so no deaths. I suppose that's an improvement. 

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

falling asleep at the wheel,is taking

over from brake failure,as the go to excuse

Perhaps the police or some other authority have checked out the so called "brake failure" excuse, and found that it wasn't the reason. So drivers came up with the "falling asleep at the wheel" excuse. Remember that Thai people never admit that they made something wrong, blaiming someone or something comes naturally to them.

I think the real reason for many accidents is the drivers were busy on their mobile phones. Of course they can't admit that.

Again down to Thais having no common sense. Everyone knows that you have to be well rested before driving any sort of distance and not be full of drink or have been taking drugs. I reckon most of the serious motorway and small hours accidents here are caused by drivers nodding off. You'd think concerns for their own safety would make drivers here more responsible, even if they aren't bothered about anyone else's.

Archived