Raincoat

Djw6

28 minutes ago, Happystance said:

I tried a 2-piece but it was WAY too hot.

Poncho is the way to go imo, with boat shoes or tevas.

Obvious by your post that you are not a long time - maybe anytime - rider

Saw a guy wearing trainers who flopped on the highway. His toes and side of his foot took well over a year to heal properly.

Want to stay cool - bike in Iceland

Saw a guy wearing trainers who flopped on the highway. His toes and side of his foot took well over a year to heal properly.
Want to stay cool - bike in Iceland
Nah, impractical in Thailand, if you want to wear full protection just get a car instead

Take off the raincoat when the rain is gone? Yes the proper rider raincoats get hot when in the sun and they are not as convenient to put on or take off. But a poncho style coat only works on a scooter. If you are riding a scooter, with short pants and flip flops... be 7/11s guest.

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Obviously by your post you jump towards conclusions that are, clearly in this case anyway, not even close to reality.

I've been riding for over 30 years. 

My response was based on words posted by the OP and the fact that I missed this was posted in "motorcycles" ????

You are welcome, and I forgive you.

I personally wouldn't ride with rain gear as the winds adversely affect it, raises the noise level, it's really uncomfortable and you get wet anyways.

A fairing would be my only consideration, but given the slickness of the roads in Thailand and that glossy slippery road paint they use, coupled with all the oil on the roads, I would just avoid riding in the rain.

When riding out of town, wear a good raincoat and get hot and sweaty and wet.  Don't wear one and get cool and wet.  Besides which, unless it's raining when you set off, so you're already wearing it, stopping to put one on will usually soak you any way.  Come to think of it, I've never worn a rain coat at all in Thailand.  I'd rather just get wet when riding, and use an umbrella when walking.

3 hours ago, Happystance said:

I personally wouldn't ride with rain gear as the winds adversely affect it, raises the noise level, it's really uncomfortable and you get wet anyways.

I've ridden in the rain plenty of times in Thailand. Wearing a proper raincoat will not get you wet, that's the point of the raincoat. Winds don't do much either because my raincoat is not a sail, it's shaped like other clothes. Its less uncomfortable than having wet and then later smelly gear on a long trip. I wonder if you ever had proper rain gear and have real world experience.

I've ridden in the rain plenty of times in Thailand. Wearing a proper raincoat will not get you wet, that's the point of the raincoat. Winds don't do much either because my raincoat is not a sail, it's shaped like other clothes. Its less uncomfortable than having wet and then later smelly gear on a long trip. I wonder if you ever had proper rain gear and have real world experience.

I used to wear gore-tex in Scotland with sideways rain and was always 100% dry, here in Thailand on a scooter a poncho is all i need, although over 60kph it flaps about too much which is where a 2 piece may be useful

When riding out of town, wear a good raincoat and get hot and sweaty and wet.  Don't wear one and get cool and wet.  Besides which, unless it's raining when you set off, so you're already wearing it, stopping to put one on will usually soak you any way.  Come to think of it, I've never worn a rain coat at all in Thailand.  I'd rather just get wet when riding, and use an umbrella when walking.
In Thailand you can also use an umbrella whilst riding.[emoji39]

You could always do it the Vietnamese way, and go for full bike coverage.  (Though most don't worry about getting ponchos with the headlight window in them, which can make things interesting in a dark area on a wet night).

image.png.a6293ccf4c67bc9bec87dda9e3b2abc0.png

On 3/24/2019 at 8:47 PM, eisfeld said:

Take off the raincoat when the rain is gone? Yes the proper rider raincoats get hot when in the sun and they are not as convenient to put on or take off. But a poncho style coat only works on a scooter. If you are riding a scooter, with short pants and flip flops... be 7/11s guest.

I'd have to agree with you on that. Personally I have a 'Big Bike' - so Thais call them, but this is not really the issue here. I would like to arrive at work dry, or on a long journey dry. I guess it depends on how far you are riding, and if you need to be reasonably presentable. If it's a trip, I'd rather smell a bit than be drenched and trying some way to dry out. 

I'll check out the recommendations on here. I waited till the rains hit last year before I looked for a decent raincoat and every place/shop I went to had already been sold out. 

P.S. Why do a lot of posts here keep diverting to disagreements or even written arguments?

Is n't  this site for useful information for everyone?

Archived