Thai voters go to polls as coup-leader, 'democratic front' face off

rooster59

Just now, Eligius said:

Yes, Baboon. It is rigged in the sense that Prayut will magically emerge as P.M. - and the militarists will magically (not least through the Senate) maintain control of Thailand.

If this exit poll is the final result, I don't think he can magically emerge as P.M. "His" party didn't even reach 100 seats. After all the money bribes, he still didn't manage to reach even a 100 MP's. 

It is save to say, that he re-emerging as PM would be totally unacceptable and defies logic. 

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, Baboon. It is rigged in the sense that Prayut will magically emerge as P.M. - and the militarists will magically (not least through the Senate) maintain control of Thailand. NO WAY WILL A PHEUA THAI GOVERNMENT BE ALLOWED TO STAND.

Why not ? They reached 173 seats, and are by far the biggest party. Oh wait, that didn't stop them before ????

1 minute ago, sjaak327 said:

If this exit poll is the final result, I don't think he can magically emerge as P.M. "His" party didn't even reach 100 seats. After all the money bribes, he still didn't manage to reach even a 100 MP's. 

It is save to say, that he re-emerging as PM would be totally unacceptable and defies logic. 

'Defying logic' and making the unreal 'real' are Thai specialities!

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

'Defying logic' and making the unreal 'real' are Thai specialities!

Do not forget the wild card, who happen to have wedding ceremony on the same dates with royal visitors and  few other top heads even from the pro junta party. 

1 minute ago, sjaak327 said:

Why not?  There's no law stating the single largest party may force the others to join it.  If things went exactly as the exit poll showed, and the 2nd - 5th largest parties formed a coalition, with 273 of the 500 total seats, then, as leader of the largest party in the coalition, Prayuth would be the logical PM.  I'm not stating this will happen, and don't want this to happen, but there would be nothing anyone could legally do about it if it did.

This morning I witnessed 100bht in envelopes being handed out. There was 500bht in total. I cant remember who gave them the bht and who it was given too...aaahhhhmm. I do remember asking where it came from. I was told it come from the army as a pre thank you for giving them a vote.

1 hour ago, Dooball said:

Well, more members on TV have reported the same thing, all over the country. Is it then still a rumour?

I find it to be sickening. If it's true i hope there will be international sanctions.

More of a case of 'pictures or it never happened' IMHO.

6 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

The Junta “die for country” general bought at least 4 provinces ! Easily bought Peasants

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I would wait until the color coded vote-by-constituency map is published before calling anyone a peasant.

3 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Why not?  There's no law stating the single largest party may force the others to join it.  If things went exactly as the exit poll showed, and the 2nd - 5th largest parties formed a coalition, with 273 of the 500 total seats, then, as leader of the largest party in the coalition, Prayuth would be the logical PM.  I'm not stating this will happen, and don't want this to happen, but there would be nothing anyone could legally do about it if it did.

I don't think there would be much chance of the Future Forward party supporting a junta-run coalition. And that would put them at below 250 seats.

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

I don't think there would be much chance of the Future Forward party supporting a junta-run coalition. And that would put them at below 250 seats.

Don't worry, Madmitch: the 'good people' will find a way ...

4 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

In a normal democracy, it is a good tradition that the (by far) largest party is the one that starts coalition forming. Since the democrats have already stated they don't want Prayuth. All PT needs to do is form a coalition with the democrats, that will already bring in the needed 250 seats. I understand in a country where coups are normal, going straight against the very spirit of democracy is probably not a bridge too far. 

Fact is, with 173 seats, PT cannot be ignored. By far the largest party. They should have the initiative. 

Just now, madmitch said:

I hope they don't too, but stranger things have happened.  Who knows what wheeling and dealing will be going on in Bangkok, and outside Thailand, over the next few days, if not weeks.  But anyway, I was replying to a post stating that "Prayuth re-emerging as PM would be totally unacceptable", and pointing out a scenario where it would be legally valid.

Just now, Eligius said:

Don't worry, Madmitch: the 'good people' will find a way ...

I know! And the "good people" of the EC will no doubt be bombarded with reasons to disqualify non-junta supporters and their parties.

Just now, madmitch said:

I know! And the "good people" of the EC will no doubt be bombarded with reasons to disqualify non-junta supporters and their parties.

Yeah, Future forward is already under the microscobe apparently….

Everything to get Prayuth his PM seat, this exit poll however is a major loss of face for him. That much is perfectly clear, not even a 100 seats ????

5 minutes ago, madmitch said:

And there is a lovable, benevolent and beneficent 'new' general waiting in the wings (makes Prayut look tame and wishy-washy), just itching to remind the Thai people that coups are by no means a dead-and-buried thing of the past ...

Just now, sjaak327 said:

In a normal democracy, it is a good tradition that the (by far) largest party is the one that starts coalition forming. Since the democrats have already stated they don't want Prayuth. All PT needs to do is form a coalition with the democrats, that will already bring in the needed 250 seats. I understand in a country where coups are normal, going straight against the very spirit of democracy is probably not a bridge too far. 

Fact is, with 173 seats, PT cannot be ignored. By far the largest party. They should have the initiative. 

They should, and a PT - Democrat coalition would be a large step in the right direction, but there would be a very large shadow hanging over it.

3 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

They should, and a PT - Democrat coalition would be a large step in the right direction, but there would be a very large shadow hanging over it.

Well, in my view, that is what the Thai electorate decided. But heck, in this country the Thai electorate doesn't matter, we have seen that time and time again. 

But for the country's sake, maybe it is time for them to do just that, form a coalition, sidestep the 250 appointed senators. Yes, we know, with the 20 year roadmap, and that appointed senate, it is going to be a rough ride. But it's vastly better than the alternative. And with this measly result from that party that was throwing money away like there is no tomorrow, it is the only right thing to do. 

Maybe finally it is demonstrated that vote buying doesn't work in Thailand....

3 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Well, in my view, that is what the Thai electorate decided. But heck, in this country the Thai electorate doesn't matter, we have seen that time and time again. 

But for the country's sake, maybe it is time for them to do just that, form a coalition, sidestep the 250 appointed senators. Yes, we know, with the 20 year roadmap, and that appointed senate, it is going to be a rough ride. But it's vastly better than the alternative. And with this measly result from that party that was throwing money away like there is no tomorrow, it is the only right thing to do. 

Maybe finally it is demonstrated that vote buying doesn't work in Thailand....

The totally obvious thing to do (by any and all who claim to support 'democracy') is to ensure that Pheua Thai, Future Forward and the 'Democrats' all join forces as one bloc.

Still, even then Thailand (the faux-elite) does love its lovely coups ...

8 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I can just see dear old uncle Suthep rushing to embrace his future bedfellows.

How did his ACT party do BTW? Did they even have a dog in this fight?

Never mind. Just googled it. 5 seats.

Safe!!!!

Just now, Eligius said:

The totally obvious thing to do (by any and all who claim to support 'democracy') is to ensure that Pheua Thai, Future Forward and the 'Democrats' all join forces as one bloc.

Still, even then Thailand does love its lovely coups ...

The sad fact is, they don't even need a coup. Such a government will be highly curtailed already. And all perfectly "legal". The senate (fully appointed) can send this government home on a whim. 

Just now, NanLaew said:

I can just see dear old uncle Suthep rushing to embrace his future bedfellows.

How did his ACT party do BTW? Did they even have a dog in this fight?

Suthep isn't a member of the democrats anymore, he is a member of that vote buying party now..

What a scam, Thais eligible to vote for the 500-seat House of Representatives, which will choose the next government along with a Senate that is appointed entirely by the ruling junta.

It doesn't matter who they elect, they will take order from Prayuth.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Same same the way local immigration is handling the farang coffin dodgers.

Not sure about that, I do know that whatever immigration does to foreigners, is not relevant to what the junta is doing to Thai citizens. 

3 hours ago, madmen said:

So what happens if Prayut is sent packing. Does that now mean the Election was never rigged in the first place? 

No. It means the election was rigged on all sides, ... as per normal.

Archived