Taking photos of marked ballots against law, EC warns voters

rooster59

Taking photos of marked ballots against law, EC warns voters

By The Nation

4e0fe407f9214a2d781963a3e862a0bd-sld.jpeg

The Election Commission (EC) has warned voters against taking photos of their marked ballots for display on social networks.

In a Dos and Don'ts statement on the EC website, the watchdog said taking photos of marked ballots would be a violation of the election law and punishable with a year in jail.

The EC vowed to take action against a voter who took a photo of a marked ballot during advance voting by Thai expats.

The statement also warned against any action that would damage the ballots.

In past elections, several voters were arrested for damaging their ballots, as they misunderstood that they had to tear the number to mark it.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30366396

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-24

22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The EC vowed to take action against a voter

I would see a proof of these votes from EC, but no photos which then made their arguments weak.

22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

who took a photo of a marked ballot during advance voting by Thai expats. 

Thai expats?

In this content what does that mean? Us Chati-Ook-Prathet-Mai-Thai or Chati-Thai living abroad?

Just now, donim said:

Thai expats?

In this content what does that mean? Us Chati-Ook-Prathet-Mai-Thai or Chati-Thai living abroad?

After a thoroughly re-read and let the quarter fell trough, and thinking outside the box, the selfie mas made by a Thai living abroad, whom can vote before the actual voting day.

Confusion came from: in a country news rarely writes 'expat' for own nationals.

(And there was also a day one week ago for those in Thailand who were not able to vote today my wife said..)

50 minutes ago, donim said:

(And there was also a day one week ago for those in Thailand who were not able to vote today my wife said..)

30 minutes ago, johng said:

!P_20190317_142628.jpeg

That was it, my wife was talking about one week ago.

But not the case this topic is running on, as it was about Thai expats... So advance voting outside Thailand for Thai Nationals.

Otherwise it the article would say that expats, us, were able to vote here in Thailand regarding Thai government issues, which is not.

This felt a little weird, because I consider myself as Thai expat, expat living in Thailand. Or I had for a long time kept the meaning of these words  in that sentence wrong.

Rgds,

I just went to our local polling station and was told in no uncertain terms "no photos" what so ever !

Also my wife says that the "barred" candidate for "Thai Ruksa Chart" party was still on the ballot paper.

Why would it be forbidden to take a pic with ones own ballot? Could it be because people could later actually prove who they voted for in case the total does not tally and goes to the favor of a certain party?

But of course it could be to prove that the votes payed for have actually been delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Ha ha ha ha ha! Another 'law' that they have just conjured up out of nowhere. Talk about in your face obvious. No evidence of how people REALLY voted is permissible. Simple as that.

Everyone should have the right to photograph his or her own ballot paper. After all, this is supposed to be the very heartpiece of democracy.

But NO EVIDENCE CAN BE ALLOWED THAT GOES AGAINST THE LATER CLAIMS OF VICTORY!

3 hours ago, dinooz said:

Maybe to limit vote buying ? Take a pic of ballot to prove you did indeed  vote for who you were told/paid to vote for.

Maybe - but also importantly to stop the bully boys forcing people to vote for who they say and prove it.

Archived