Is it compulsory for Thais to vote today?

davidst01

40 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

It's compulsory in theory, but in practice is another law that isn't enforced.

Just curious but anybody know or have a link to what the theoretical penalty is for not voting?

Is there even a proscribed penalty? 

6 minutes ago, topt said:

They don't get their 500bht.

My former wife, girlfriend, step-daughter and former MiL all trooped off this morning to vote for Future Forward under the impression that Thaksin will be back in the country weeks after they win.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

It's compulsory in theory, but in practice is another law that isn't enforced.  (However, in a rural village, where voting is done at the local school, it is readily apparent who hasn't voted, even without checking the register, and people are often dispatched to find those who haven't yet voted, and, unless too sick / drunk / immobile to go out, drag them to the school.  Those who still don't vote will also likely get a visit from one/several of the candidates' canvassing teams and made to pay back the money/fish sauce/shoes/etc given to them in return for their vote).

I think you're right there, vote to get money, I've just come back from taking my wifes sister and brother who are bit immobile to a voting place in the village. 

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

It's compulsory in theory, but in practice is another law that isn't enforced.  (However, in a rural village, where voting is done at the local school, it is readily apparent who hasn't voted, even without checking the register, and people are often dispatched to find those who haven't yet voted, and, unless too sick / drunk / immobile to go out, drag them to the school.  Those who still don't vote will also likely get a visit from one/several of the candidates' canvassing teams and made to pay back the money/fish sauce/shoes/etc given to them in return for their vote).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Thailand

Thailand has so far had 25 general elections since 1933; the last election was in 2014. Voting in elections in Thailand is compulsory. All elections in Thailand are regulated by the Election Commission of Thailand.

So far I cannot find any reference to the punishment for not voting.

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thailand has so far had 25 general elections since 1933; the last election was in 2014. Voting in elections in Thailand is compulsory. All elections in Thailand are regulated by the Election Commission of Thailand.

So actually they are not compolsory

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

25 general elections...and wait for it 20 military coups in the same time...555

• Like 1

6 hours ago, topt said:

Just curious but anybody know or have a link to what the theoretical penalty is for not voting?

If you want to take part in politics - be it national or local (village headman / amphur official / or-bor-tor / kamnan etc), they will check if you have voted in previous elections or not.  If not, you are forced to withdraw your candidacy.  I've heard that some areas will do the same if you apply for a government job, even just a clerk in a Tambon or Amphur.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They don't get their 500bht.

My former wife, girlfriend, step-daughter and former MiL all trooped off this morning to vote for Future Forward under the impression that Thaksin will be back in the country weeks after they win.

Coincidence, whole family and all their known friends also voted Future Forward as there was no local PT candidate.

• Like 1