BANGKOK 23 April 2019 12:05
Fullmetal

Luk Krueng needing to serve Thai military as a conscript - any advice on how to avoid punishments and such?

Hi guys.

So this coming April I plan on volunteering for 6 months in the Thai military as a conscript. But, I need some assistance because of all the various beatings and deaths I’ve been hearing about. I’ve been having constant arguments with my family members over this, but they claim that things have changed in the military and hazings/brutal beatings have been alleviated. I don’t believe this, but they’ve been communicating with a military officer that’s a nephew of one of my uncles. 

This is not a post asking for how to avoid conscription. I need to go through with it and I plan on volunteering for 6 months to get it over with. I can’t pay anybody because I have no connections in my district (plus my uncle’s nephew is in a different district so he can’t help me) and leaving the country would leave me homeless as all my funds and properties are in Thailand, not the UK. Plus, I’ve been tested at the army hospital and have been denied wavers because I’m told I’m fit for service.

Thing is, I need some advice on how to succeed as a conscript, preferably from some of you guys that have been through the whole process. I’m very weak and feeble, slightly overweight and barely even able to lift large amounts of objects without hurting.my arms. My verbal Thai is a bit rusty at times though I can speak it quite fluently, however I can’t read or write the language. I also have major allergies when it comes to dust and can be seen sneezing non stop at times (but the doctors say this is perfectly normal for cadets). I just want to know more about the experience and what I should prepare beforehand before I serve. Anything I should know in order to avoid punishments? Which division, location or service should I choose (seeing as you can do that as a volunteer) to make things less taxing for me? While I am slightly excited at the prospect of earning some cash, I’m also really terrified.

37 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Pretend to be gay and you'll end up in an officer's house as a servant

Dude, I’m serious about this

Just now, Fullmetal said:

Dude, I’m serious about this

So am I. It's the advice from all the gay boys I know who've been conscripted

Another thing I should ask is: should I join the army, navy or airforce? Which is apparently the easiest to cheese through for 3 months of basic?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Pretend you can't understand/speak/read/write Thai.

That's what I was thinking.  Works well for me, especially with the cops, they just roll their eyes and wave me through.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fullmetal said:

Another thing I should ask is: should I join the army, navy or airforce? Which is apparently the easiest to cheese through for 3 months of basic?

That would interest me too regarding my son, I have heard (but don't know) that either the navy or the air force is preferable to the army, the air force being the easiest. 

• Like 1

at least in the falang world; unfit types seem more prevalent, and more acceptable in the ranks (in the navy)

but here? hmmm...  

take a drive to the Naval base near Rayong (where the JumpJet Carrier is;  and take a trip up the Doi a few clicks west of there (and as a bonus you get a complete scenic view of all the berthed ships).

The navy dudes are like ants on a mound hill, swarming up that torture road, looking as if they are enjoying it!  They even impart the image of being tough nut Navy Seal types!

You only do 6 months when volunteering if you have a degree. No degree and you do one year.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Pretend you can't understand/speak/read/write Thai.

Too late for that, he's done his medical!

3 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Dude, the army might be exactly what you need. 

555 having volunteered in a conscription country, I have to agree! Where I was, you could pick the service branch if you volunteered, Army, Police (more or less still the army, but you were treated like an officer and a gentleman, not a grunt) or Air Force, I chose the cops.

OP can you get to choose the Air Force? Definitely a softer option than slogging up jungle hills etc.

19 hours ago, Fullmetal said:

For what it's worth, as a Brit serving in the armed forces, the Air Force was definitely the easiest of the three. I did two years. Pretty cushy after basic training.

• Thanks 1