TransferWise

Not particularly helpful for those with TMB and Kasikorn accounts if what you're saying is that Bangkok Bank is the sole agency bank which TransferWise will be using in Thailand from now on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not particularly helpful for those with TMB and Kasikorn accounts if what you're saying is that Bangkok Bank is the sole agency bank which TransferWise will be using in Thailand from now on!

You should be able to do the same thing if you have an account at one of those banks.

But they might not be shown in the same way as Bangkok Bank does them.

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Just to let everyone know TransferWise will annotate your account to route all transfers via Bangkok Bank so everyone will show as an international transfer in your Bangkok Bank bank book for Immigration. You can also get a credit advice print out from your own branch of Bangkok Bank for each international transfer.

Hope this helps.

Are you saying that it will not go to another bank first no matter what? How do I go about ensuring that happens?

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Not particularly helpful for those with TMB and Kasikorn accounts

It is if they open a Bangkok Bank account and have their transfer sent to that account.

It will then be shown as an International Transfer.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Not very helpful for those of us who tried to open a Bangkok Bank account but were denied.

Opening a bank account is also becoming a circus like immigration and its various offices. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

Not very helpful for those of us who tried to open a Bangkok Bank account but were denied.

6 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Opening a bank account is also becoming a circus like immigration and its various offices.

Why were you denied???? Where do you live and did you try more than one branch?

Why is it a circus??????

I can only comment on opening my own account.

I went to my local main branch in Chonburi but was told they had been instructed to deny an account to everybody who didn't have a work permit (I'm retired) and suggested I try at the main branch in Si Racha. There they told me either I needed a letter confirming my details from the British Embassy or an existing Bangkok bank account holder who could verify those details, and gave the impression it might be difficult  because I didn't have a work permit. I returned on the Monday with a copy of my most recent BE Income letter, my wife who had a BKKB account that was still active but she no longer used and the details of a Thai friend who'd had an account for many years and could come to the bank if necessary, plus a copy of the requirements listed on their own website.

I showed them the BE letter first, explaining that it was actually a letter addressed to TI concerning my Extension but had all the necessary information included. They just asked for my passport and yellow book then opened the account straight away with no other problems or information required.

I do realize it's more complex than at some other banks (I opened a Krung Thai account a year or so ago just using my yellow book and pink ID card, didn't even need a passport) but the extra security the BKKB requires doesn't make it a circus.

Edited by sumrit

For Kasikorn account holders, TW will route the funds via their Kasikorn local banking partner if you phone or e-mail them with the transfer reference number once you have set up the transfer. 

Although I would recommend you hold off sending the funds to them until they have acknowledged your request.

I've tried this (11 days ago) and it worked fine (ie. recorded as an international transaction).

I've not seen any reports of TMB account holders trying this approach as yet.

It's often - as usual in Thailand - a question of who you speak to & whether he or she knows what they're talking about. If you push your request up the line to someone who not merely understands & knows but has authority to make decisions, then it goes pretty smoothly ...

Our experience was like that here in Prasat in January opening a new BKK Bank account, having had several & active in BKK for several years. The bank manager processed us himself, and commented in passing that he was under pressure to open new accounts. All I needed was ID (p/p), proof of residency, & current bank books from BKK. The fact that we had our house insurance with them no doubt also helped.