horrible back pain need help

NCC1701A

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

you did not say where in back.  I am going to assume that it is lower back.   Also when I "could not move" because of the pain it was because i would spasm just trying to sit or stand up.  worst pain !

getting a dr to give you morphine is usually  REALLY tough.  They would offer tramadol or even paracetamin!

crazy...when i , like you, could barely move.  They gave me an IV...not morphine though i asked... and it did not help !   jesus        HERE IS what helped me later on.  I always refused the light stuff (anti-inflamatory type)  cause they just don't work with real PAIN.   Finally a DR i respect said "" at least take this ( it was diazepam....commonly known as valium).  It is an anti-spasmatic .  IT WORKS !  One 5 mg will put you to sleep.   I take a half when feeling some light spasm.   Hospitals don't want to give morphine , which is most effective,  or diazepam which they have been taught is "addicting".    

I now self medicate when necessary with  diclofenac ....and diazepam if really necessary.  Extreme pain the diazepam works ... and is only thing i can get cause morphine they're not handing out unless you're dying

agree.....they always want to give you some OTC for pain or NSAID, which is harsh on your stomach.  They deny it, but the valium does work for some pain.

I would rather do a biocalm muscle relaxer instead of bs pain reliever.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, moontang said:

but the valium does work for some pain

SPASMS.......  and diclofenac is very useful for some types of pain.   Nothing else ever worked for me

How on earth can you be discussing medication when you don't have a clue what's causing the pain?

I had a horse-riding accident yonks ago which compressed my lower spine.  At any time, a disc could press against the spinal nerve and the resulting terrible pain had me automatically generating fountains of tears.

I went to the best hospital in BKK.  They gave me no medication but quickly requested a chiropractor to massage my lower back and to move the disc away from the nerve.

The result?  absolutely no pain, problem resolved, and no need for medication.

Stop grabbing for pills every time your body complains!!!!  Get to a decent hospital asap and get a proper diagnosis.  Only then, see what the options are.

(I'm sure in your current state of advanced pain, you'll tell me to GFM.... but IMHO pills are the easiest and 'weakest' way to mask your body's problems).  Good luck ????

In hospital they have available to them morphine, demerol, fentanyl etc.

Tylenol or paracetemol with codeine can be prescribed for outpatient use (must come from hospital).

OTC can get tramadol and NSAIDS. If pain is due to an inflammatory condition NSAIDS can be quite effective, sometimes even more than opiates.

For back pain from orthopedic cause a short course of prednisilone (steroid) is sometimes given. While not an analgedic as such it reduces swelling such as can occur around a herniated disc and thus can give relief. This too can only be gotten from hospital. Alternatively epidural steroid injection sometimes given for pain and often helps but temporary of course.

Lyrica or gabapentin often given along with other meds if it is thought to be nerve pain.

It is true that pain from kidney stones is sometimes felt in the back. In which case heavy duty pain killers plus IV hydration is first approach otherwise if stone too large to pass may do lithotrypsy or surgical removal.

If ortho cause could be entrapped sciatic nerve or herniated disk impinging on nerve root.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There are a few pharmacies here that will sell an extended release Tramadol that's more effective for severe pain, 100mg timed release. When you get out of the hospital and if still in severe pain it might be something to consider -  called tramadol retard. I've taken it occasionally over the years for severe pain (short term only) and it's effective but for me it limited my mobility cause moving around can make you nauseous. I would only take if absolutely necessary. Though only 10% or so of people have a problem with handling meds for pain we're all branded as junkies for wanting relief.

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Tramadol works for my back pain. Just standard lumbago but it's the kind of thing that can ruin your day. Tramadol is kind of a controlled substance, so some pharmacies will not sell it.  Lots of influence by Americans into Thailand's drug policy. Like everything else here, it is a fluid situation, so YMMV.

What is the cause of the pain??

Is it muscular/nerve /neuropathic??

You need to know the Dx before you Rx

Competent Dr will do scans/mri to resolve the Dx, if you do not know the Dx

Competent Dr will also prescribe best Rx for you

Self Dx and Rx can be dangerous

This threat is going too far in non professionals discussing pain management when there is no diagnosis. So, as I recommended a few posts ago take one of those pain killers or a combination mentioned there. If the pain doesn't go away or comes back - see a doctor.

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

top grabbing for pills every time your body complains!!!!  Get to a decent hospital asap and get a proper diagnosis.  Only then, see what the options are.

I went to many doctors and many hospitals .   One thing I learned is that most of them do NOT give a proper diagnosis, whatever that means.    They have read a book that tells them to give you anti inflamatories and do some exercise.   After that doesn't work they want you to spend 10K baht for an MRI which does little to shed light on MOST of the problems.  The one thing going to all these decent hospitals and expert doctors did was get me to learn for myself what might or might not be going on with my body.  And the big advantage is  I ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT THE PATIENT........AND LISTENED TO WHAT HE SAID....AND TRIED TO FIND THE SOLUTION.

so,  i am not taking   simons advice......   I do agree however that people taking all these pills is stupid.  But sometimes it does help,  especially when you have the brains to figure out which ones .  Then it is up to each individual to work on their body to keep it going

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

I feel that even if some of you are retired or practicing medical professionals it is very unprofessional to be recommending medication without a Dx.

Not only unprofessional but potentially dangerous. 

requested a chiropractor to massage my lower back and to move the disc away from the nerve.

The result?  absolutely no pain, problem resolved, and no need for medication.

Problem is using a chiropractor is pot luck and is based on trial and error, click and hope

16 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

This threat is going too far in non professionals discussing pain management when there is no diagnosis. So, as I recommended a few posts ago take one of those pain killers or a combination mentioned there. If the pain doesn't go away or comes back - see a doctor.

reread the original post. The OP is enroute to the hospital. He wants to know what pain medications would be available there, through a doctor.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

anyone esle please. no more from you thanmks

I get regular, but infrequent, lower back pain. Dating from an injury when I was 18.

Find some way to apply heat to the area.

I strap one of these (hot water bottle) over it:

image.png.0b60a7e6c76b7e6555b340f9d5978c45.png

Gives fast relief and speeds up healing.

15 minutes ago, KarlS said:

Not only unprofessional but potentially dangerous. 

I think that if doctors are posting here they know very well what they can recommend and what not - and this would be neither unprofessional nor dangerous. Recommendations from nonprofessionals might be different.

I went to many doctors and many hospitals .   One thing I learned is that most of them do NOT give a proper diagnosis, whatever that means.    They have read a book that tells them to give you anti inflamatories and do some exercise.   After that doesn't work they want you to spend 10K baht for an MRI which does little to shed light on MOST of the problems.  The one thing going to all these decent hospitals and expert doctors did was get me to learn for myself what might or might not be going on with my body.  And the big advantage is  I ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT THE PATIENT........AND LISTENED TO WHAT HE SAID....AND TRIED TO FIND THE SOLUTION.
so,  i am not taking   simons advice......   I do agree however that people taking all these pills is stupid.  But sometimes it does help,  especially when you have the brains to figure out which ones .  Then it is up to each individual to work on their body to keep it going
I agree figuring it out for yourself is important, a scan did help me to explain what was causing the pain otherwise you are always wondering

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Tylenol or paracetemol with codeine can be prescribed for outpatient use (must come from hospital).

sheryl, thanks for the informative post (not only my cut/paste above).

OP if you are prescribed the above, in terms of strength, that is above tramadol but below hydrocodone (vicodin, lortab, norco).

as noted by others, pain killers aren't necessarily the best solution for back pain.  i've also had back issues over the years.  muscle relaxers are nice to have.  but in my previous posts, i simply answered your (OP) question in terms of strength of pain killers.

I get regular, but infrequent, lower back pain. Dating from an injury when I was 18.

Find some way to apply heat to the area.

I strap one of these (hot water bottle) over it:

image.png.0b60a7e6c76b7e6555b340f9d5978c45.png

Gives fast relief and speeds up healing.

Good advice, i found frozen peas and hot water bottle helped, better than drugs

1 minute ago, sweatalot said:

I think that if doctors are posting here they know very well what they can recommend and what not - and this would be neither unprofessional nor dangerous. Recommendations from nonprofessionals might be different.

Any "doctor" recommending medication for what is described by the OP as "horrible back pain" would, in the absence of a diagnosis be both unprofessional and irresponsible.

The guy's in great pain  and waiting for a ride to the hospital where, presumably, he'll be diagnosed and given whatever medication is appropriate. He needs an otc medication which will work now. If Tramadol doesn't do it I really don't know what to suggest, apart from a bottle of whisky. I've suffered from acute back pain myself, but I was always able to relieve it to some extent by adjusting my body position; like I've never suffered back pain that was constant no matter how I positioned myself, sounds like a nightmare.

Archived