‘Drunk’ man charged with damaging ballot paper

Jonathan Fairfield

‘Drunk’ man charged with damaging ballot paper

By The Nation

n4.jpeg

A 52-year-old man found to be under the influence of alcohol was detained on Sunday for allegedly damaging his ballot in Samut Songkram province.

Sukul Chunting of Muang district, however, said he had accidentally damaged the ballot because he was heavily drunk.

Sukul showed up to exercise his right at a polling station in the province’s Muang district but after he received the ballot and was about to vote, he reportedly damaged it.

He was brought to Muang Samut Songkram Police Station and a blood test on him found the alcohol level in his blood as high as of 258 milligrams per cent.

He told police that he had started drinking at 5pm on Saturday and drank throughout the night. “I was opening the ballot paper when I accidentally damaged it as my hands were shaking. I had no intention to damage it,” he said.

He was charged with damaging the ballot, the punishment for which is a jail term of not more than five years and a fine not exceeding Bt100,000. If found guilty, he could also lose his voting rights for 10 years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30366431

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-24

32 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Absolute INSANITY!

I agree.

Better go shoot black leopards or other protected wildlife, for that only gets you 16 months at most. In fact one could poach almost 4 leopards to receive the same accumulated jail term as one would get for tearing up one measly ballot paper.

44 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

he had started drinking at 5pm on Saturday and drank throughout the night.

But But But...no alcohol

We need to find out how this hideous scenario could have happened 

3 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

wouldn't have happened without the 6pm ban

Exactly, if they enforced no liquor consumption anywhere including private homes this sort of thing wouldnt happen, one law totally agree with, lets hope he gets the full force of the judicial system thrown at him

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

Absolute INSANITY!

Need about 10 expletives in front of the INSANITY. 

It certainly says a lot about the country, wackoville big time. 

Raised the point, if you put a big X across it it does that count as destruction?

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Exactly, if they enforced no liquor consumption anywhere including private homes this sort of thing wouldnt happen, one law totally agree with, lets hope he gets the full force of the judicial system thrown at him

no liquor consumption anywhere including private homes/??? are you sure about that i thought it was only purchase of same

13 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

no liquor consumption anywhere including private homes/??? are you sure about that i thought it was only purchase of same

It was only purchase but as can be seen, if people purchase before and consume after, this is what happens. The military should really have been out in force with random checks on residential addresses to ensure all citizens stay sober thus avoiding more instances of this serious crime.

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

It was only purchase but as can be seen, if people purchase before and consume after, this is what happens. The military should really have been out in force with random checks on residential addresses to ensure all citizens stay sober thus avoiding more instances of this serious crime.

keep licking boots

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

He told police that he had started drinking at 5pm on Saturday and drank throughout the night.

In his defence m'lud, he misunderstood the ministerial order. He thought they were asking him to drink alcohol for the 24 hour period from 6pm, and he was simply trying to be a decent citizen by getting an early start.

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Even after 2 of his posts I could not decide if he was serious or trying to be ultra-sarcastic.

Me too, but I have the sneaking feeling that the post was serious... 

Archived