BANGKOK 21 April 2019 09:09
EricTh

Helmet brand recommendation

Posted (edited)

I saw a Nippon helmet that cost around  500 baht. Is this a good brand and will it crack easily in an accident?

I am not looking for high end helmet but a middle range helmet.

Where's the best  place to buy a  helmet in Chiang Mai?

Edited by EricTh

Most helmets here are virtual egg boxes, i would recommend calling in at a super bike dealership only.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My strong advice would be not to skimp on the helmet. It may well save your life in this place. 500 Baht doesn't come close.  I wouldn't roller skate with such a plastic lid.  I know a lot of farangs think its hard or 'macho' to ride around bare headed, but they are just asking to be killed or seriously injured.  A reasonable helmet that will do the job in most cases will cost you around 10,000 Bhat. Higher end will be upwards of 30,000. Check on line for suppliers and watch for a Kite Mark of some kind. 

Now wait for the people who disagree.  Your call of course.   

Edited by Pilotman

Don't know about brands, but you should definitely get a full face helmet. Do a search on this (not helmet manufactuers) but actual injuries, most of them are face injuries.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Don't know about brands, but you should definitely get a full face helmet. Do a search on this (not helmet manufactuers) but actual injuries, most of them are face injuries.

My spare is a  full face AGV ( 13,000 Baht equivalent). My day to day is a Caberg EGO, double visa (one clear, one tinted)) . Cost was approx 30,000 Baht

10 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Concurr, in my youth, I did not, off at 100HPH and 4 lost teeth later.......regrets

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, KNJ said:

Concurr, in my youth, I did not, off at 100HPH and 4 lost teeth later.......regrets

mate of mine a few years back had to have the whole of his jaw restructured after wearing an open face helmet and having an off at speed.  It looked cool, until he near killed himself and spent a few years having plastic surgery.  In fairness, he was fairly ugly before the accident and the surgery didn't improve his looks one bit;  as I kept telling him.  

Edited by Pilotman

Name the brands of 'real' helmets made in Thailand which reach any kind of international standard - I will not be swapping my(expensive) Shoei helmet for one these "real" helmets anytime soon!
https://www.real-helmets.com/
  • Like 1

Shoei - expensive - yes

But many helmets are just as good - some better - for less $$$

The days of having to spend $700 + for a good helmet are over

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

My LS2 does as well - and better - than some helmets costing 4 to 5 times as much

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Shoei - expensive - yes

But many helmets are just as good - some better - for less $$$

The days of having to spend $700 + for a good helmet are over

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

My LS2 does as well - and better - than some helmets costing 4 to 5 times as much

There are no"cheap" 4-5* helmets on that site. You will not know how well your LS2 performs until you have a high speed coming off. 

I have a scarred up Shoei which suggests I might not have survived without it. (the result of being rear-ended by a hit and run bas****d

Edited by KarlS
correct typo

There are no"cheap" 4-5* helmets on that site. You will not know how well your LS2 performs until you have a high speed coming off. 

I have a scarred up Shoei which suggests I might not have survived without it. (the result of being rear-ended by a hit and run bas****d

Imagine how the OP’s 500b lid would have held-up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk