What Westerners Thrive Best In Thailand

nausea

I haven't particularly thrived here, nor have I succumbed; just treading water, really. But some guys do seem to find their niche. What do you think are the qualities that make a Western guy (or gal) do better here than they would in their home country?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dreaming said:

The ones that have enough money to go back home if the <deleted> hits the fan

Shit hit the fan has been threatened for decades , always around the corner, coming tomorrow except it actually never does. 

Maybe it will next month, everybody should have bag packed ready to run ????

5 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Ones that stay off the booze, keep away from relationships with the locals and generally keep life focused on their job. 

Job? Wash your mouth out. Too much to do to work.

No, seriously, the Westerners that thrive best in Thailand are the very handsome ones. Trust me, I know.

10 minutes ago, madmen said:

Shit hit the fan has been threatened for decades , always around the corner, coming tomorrow except it actually never does. 

With the Visa clampdowns  , rising prices , the strong Baht , "social" laws being enforced , one could argue that the fan has been hit already

13 minutes ago, madmen said:

Run? run, you must be joking, most of us too bloody old to run, or cant even walk.:cheesy:

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

With the Visa clampdowns  , rising prices , the strong Baht , "social" laws being enforced , one could argue that the fan has been hit already

One could but none of the above have really affected me. Guess I've just got a lucky fan.

Try to find pleasure in all that you do...watching a good movie with the misses, counting the number of motorcycles you could have run over if you did not move out of their way, enjoying a good meal with family and friends, a massage, an intimate encounter, watering the veggies and flowers, DQ ice creme, an early morning walk...stopping to feed the fish, and taking a swim to mitigate the heat.

Don't sweat the small stuff!   ????

The ones that are not afraid of Gecko's,snakes,and other creepy crawlies,

and can put up with the sounds of the wildlife here,dogs barking,cocks crowing,

frogs calling in rainy season,and the latest one Cicadas.

The ones that can take the heat,without having A/c on 20 C all the time,who are

DIY ,as getting anyone to fix anything is so difficult,and the quality of work,you

might as well do it yourself,those that can accept they are not in LA,London,or Paris

any of those places where common sense is practiced,and can live with lower expectations.

regards worgeordie

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not caring about anything or anyone.

Except for my rented companion, for 9 minutes or so including showers, payment and a kiss goodbye

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I rent mine by the month, she also works as a babysitter for my boy.

Yes you evidently require a long term multi tasker that can perform more than one daily task. Mine only needs to specialize in one thing other than leaving.

Be positive and keeping an open mind will get you a long way.

Try focus on the positive things and not the negative ones.

Don't feel superior but tread the locals as your equal, a smile and a polite attitude makes life here much more enjoyable.

Don't loose your temper and start shouting, will not get you anywhere.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

The ones that are not afraid of Gecko's,snakes,and other creepy crawlies,

and can put up with the sounds of the wildlife here,dogs barking,cocks crowing,

frogs calling in rainy season,and the latest one Cicadas.

The ones that can take the heat,without having A/c on 20 C all the time,who are

DIY ,as getting anyone to fix anything is so difficult,and the quality of work,you

might as well do it yourself,those that can accept they are not in LA,London,or Paris

any of those places where common sense is practiced,and can live with lower expectations.

regards worgeordie

Yep being a little hard of hearing does carry certain benefits, raised on a farm where everything except electric was DIY, won't miss London traffic, enjoy the heat - looking good for me ????

33 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Except for my rented companion, for 9 minutes or so including showers, payment and a kiss goodbye

9 minutes? I can make mine last for 90. I believe in getting value for money.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

9 minutes? I can make mine last for 90. I believe in getting value for money.

I could make mine last too but I get bored and hungry. So I get rid of her, fire up Netflix and a bowl and eat a pizza. Far more rewarding and less tiring. I mean come on mate, do you reaally want to be bouncy and sweaty for 90 minutes? The fun part is only about 30 seconds, why strain yourself.....

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I have observed among Thai people around me that my actions, demeanor, and attitude are often reflected back...

It's amazing how the folks here glow when you engage with a little kindness/respect their way. 

Most are ready to return a big easy smile and give you their attention.

I suspect the westerners having the best time here are the ones who approach life with happiness and let life's stresses roll off them like water off a duck's back.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I could make mine last too but I get bored and hungry. So I get rid of her, fire up Netflix and a bowl and eat a pizza. Far more rewarding and less tiring. I mean come on mate, do you reaally want to be bouncy and sweaty for 90 minutes? The fun part is only about 30 seconds, why strain yourself.....

I'm afraid you have been consorting with the wham-bam-thank you mam crowd. Good lasting sex involves foreplay, ever heard of it? While I'm not up to Japanese standard, who can last several hours, I do enjoy the preliminaries. Doesn't have to result in sweaty on my part. 30 seconds? That's in the ballpark of premature ejaculation. No wonder you prefer pizza.

Archived