Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 April 2019 18:19
onera1961

Pros and Cons of Getting Re-entry Permit in Airport and Immigration Office

Recommended Posts

I did an out/in to get my Admitted until date 22 March, 2020 of my O-A visa. The visa expired March 28. I am leaving Thailand the first week of April for 6-month and will be back in October. So, I need a re-entry permit. What're the pros and cons of getting it at immigration office and at BKK airport? 

 

At airport

Pros: No pic, no visit to immigration, no standing in queue, every thing is handled nicely at airport (from my experience).

Cons: Must arrive at the airport well in advance, must not forget when in a hurry (disaster)

 

What are the other advantages of getting it at the airport vs. at an immigration office?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

What are the other advantages of getting it at the airport vs. at an immigration office?

None that I can think of.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you are flying business class, there is not a re-entry permit desk in that designated immigration area.  i read here that you can ask the IO to take you to the re-entry desk for processing, etc...  but as i recall, the report i read was not a first hand report by someone who did it.

 

one issue with getting it at the airport is potential blood pressure build.  you sit waiting for the re-entry permit process and watch the immigration lines grow longer and longer as you wait.  that was my experience once, the other time is was the opposite, the lines got smaller. 

 

but since then, i chose to get my re-entry permits at CW, it doesn't take very long.  show up at 9:15 and the wait isn't more than an hour (my commute each way is about 45 minutes via MRT/taxi then taxi/MRT).  not sure what immigration office you use.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Its a no brainer.  Every time I'm at CW for annual extension, I don't even bother with the reentry permit. I get it airport. All chat about charge etc is up to you. Avoid that... download form fill out attach you pic. At DM never taken me more than 15 minute. Swampy bit longer sometimes. At swamp if can't be bothered with form and pic, they do it for 200baht. The folk that obtain it at imm I think are mainly from small imm offices. Never been to the CW ZOO

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, buick said:

if you are flying business class, there is not a re-entry permit desk in that designated immigration area.  i read here that you can ask the IO to take you to the re-entry desk for processing, etc...  but as i recall, the report i read was not a first hand report by someone who did it.

 

one issue with getting it at the airport is potential blood pressure build.  you sit waiting for the re-entry permit process and watch the immigration lines grow longer and longer as you wait.  that was my experience once, the other time is was the opposite, the lines got smaller. 

 

but since then, i chose to get my re-entry permits at CW, it doesn't take very long.  show up at 9:15 and the wait isn't more than an hour (my commute each way is about 45 minutes via MRT/taxi then taxi/MRT).  not sure what immigration office you use.

The part about io escort is misleading. At swampy reentry office is before passport control. At DM its just other side passport control. For anyone not familiar with process at DM. You get in line same everyone else. Mention to io your obtaining reentry. They will not take your tm6.

As for comment about obtaining reentry CW. 

Sine anyone flying out of los would already be at airport 15 minute process time is nothing compared to wasted trip to CW

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have gotten them at BKK and at CW. It was easy at BKK. However I need one for a 2AM flight Tuesday at DM. I will go to CW tomorrow morning because I am afraid that something will happen and if I cant get it at DM I will have to give up an expensive ticket rather than give up my new extension. Once you go to the airport the only back up plan is to not sign out or get on the plane! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The part about io escort is misleading. At swampy reentry office is before passport control. At DM its just other side passport control. For anyone not familiar with process at DM. You get in line same everyone else. Mention to io your obtaining reentry. They will not take your tm6.

As for comment about obtaining reentry CW. 

Sine anyone flying out of los would already be at airport 15 minute process time is nothing compared to wasted trip to CW

But are they open 24/7 for sure 100%?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

But are they open 24/7 for sure 100%?

Yes. Just one added comment. If your flying very late... Say midnight, the office esp DM may be unattended. All that means is you might wait perhaps 15 mins before io comes to office. So if late flight just allow all up ~ 30 min for process. Normal hours ~15-20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got mine at CW. I had to be there anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

I have gotten them at BKK and at CW. It was easy at BKK. However I need one for a 2AM flight Tuesday at DM. I will go to CW tomorrow morning because I am afraid that something will happen and if I cant get it at DM I will have to give up an expensive ticket rather than give up my new extension. Once you go to the airport the only back up plan is to not sign out or get on the plane! 

Sir, I just read your post. Do not waste time/day CW.

100% You can obtain reentry permit DM 27/7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got reentry permit at Suvarnabhumi last Friday about 11am. Had paperwork, picture passport and cash in hand. There were 5 people already being processed. I handed in docs and was given back completed in about 8 minutes. Nice lady io directed me not to join the long queue but to a shorter queue in front of the desk. Much, much easier than getting it done at CW. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That saves me a few hours at CW!

Thanks so much for the information!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The part about io escort is misleading. At swampy reentry office is before passport control.

i'm not sure i understand your response here.  the reentry office is before passport control but it is not located in the premium lane(business class)/immigration hall.  that is the point i was/am making. i fly business class mostly (long haul) and can't obtain one in that hall.  you have to go to another hall to get it and supposedly you can get an escort to do so but i've never heard/read a first person account of this.  although it sounds reasonable, i'm not willing to roll the dice until i'm 100% sure of it as leaving w/o one would void my extension. 

 

i fully understand why the vast majority of people would do it at the airport rather than go to CW, especially if they are flying economy class and will pass the permit desk after they clear security and before the line up for immigration control.  i did obtain two at BKK when i was doing short haul econ trips as i described in my original post.

 

i don't have a busy schedule in bangkok and a trip to CW for a re-entry permit (multiple) is nothing like going to apply for an extension of your stay - visa exempt, tourist visa, or non imm O.  the reentry permit process is pleasurable in comparison to the extension process !!!

 

edit:  maybe i should add that i'm not going to skip using the premium lane, 5-10 minutes to clear security/immigration, to use the economy immigration hall with the reentry desk where the time to clear can be anywhere from 30 min to a full hour (plus the time for getting the permit).

Edited by buick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

That saves me a few hours at CW!

Perhaps, but do you know how much extra time you'll need att the airport to be sure you won't miss your flight?

Stressful I'd say.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...