Where did the Sunday night market go?

dcnx

Did they not have it tonight because of the pollution or the election?

Had friends come into town yesterday (against my advice) and they were first appalled by the air so we went and got them masks today so they could go to the night market they’ve been so excited to see, and to my surprise it’s not there. It’s always been there.

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are you talking about the Night Bazzar or the Sunday market (nearTapae gate )?

Sunday market near Thapea. It’s not there tonight. Lots of confused tourists walking about.

1 hour ago, fcgprg said:

last week we were told no market because of elections.

That’s so strange because the bars are all back open today. Yesterday (most) of the bars were closed. There are always a few with the doors mostly closed and the music off.

Also not sure what a night time market that’s made for tourists has to do with an election.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I went to the Sunday Market in mid January, it was absolutely heaving, just shuffling along without seeing anything.
Is it always that busy or was I just unlucky ??

It’s hit and miss. Sometimes it’s not so busy (or hot) and it’s ok for a stroll. Other times it’s hell on earth.

I guess that debacle called the Sunday Night Market must be on all people's bucket list when they visit Chiang Mai. I went there one time with visitors and said never again. A narrow street with stands/stalls lining both sides, about ten feet max for people to walk up and down. The merchandise is the same you will find at the much less crowed Anusarn Market everynight and the less crowded Saturday Night Market. When you also add in the screaming hordes of Chinese it's a no brainer to avoid it at all costs.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

I guess that debacle called the Sunday Night Market must be on all people's bucket list when they visit Chiang Mai. I went there one time with visitors and said never again. A narrow street with stands/stalls lining both sides, about ten feet max for people to walk up and down. The merchandise is the same you will find at the much less crowed Anusarn Market everynight and the less crowded Saturday Night Market. When you also add in the screaming hordes of Chinese it's a no brainer to avoid it at all costs.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You must have gone to the wrong place , the main street is about a kilometer long and theres numerous streets running off it , all selling different merchandise and its about twice the size of the Saturday market and its about ten times the size of Anusan market .

It does get busy at peak times , the trick is to go early or late , 5 or 9 PM , when it isnt so crowded

18 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I went to the Sunday Market in mid January, it was absolutely heaving, just shuffling along without seeing anything.
Is it always that busy or was I just unlucky ??

The same market runs on Saturday night in the road from Chiang  Mai gate (heading to Hang Dong).

51 minutes ago, Foxy52 said:

I live around the corner from this and avoid it at all costs

I used to live close to the Sunday market and later the Saturday market.  I hear you.  I noticed most of the people who raved about how great they were did not live near them!

Archived