BANGKOK
aoneseller

Vinyl plank floor

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

With the board cracking above/on the support beam I would think that that beam has moved, probably down as the crack seems wider at the bottom.

I would be checking to see exactly what has been happening as a replacement board will be virtually guaranteed to have the same problem if the beams/walls are moving. 

If the movement is not great and has probably stoped you can maybe work round the problem by using smaller boards/cutting big ones and butting them together over the support beams then they should not crack, though the joints should not be too tight but calked to allow slight movement.

Thanks for your advises. I ended up changing them, because I was able to rip them off and they broke along the cracks very easy. I hope I can find smaller sizes, it's an arduous work to bring them upstairs... 

And I think after 10 years the house will not move drastically, I saw ( noticed) movement in the first couple of years. Also I am able to inspect the supporting beams by the welding joints. There is no damage or negligence of work. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, aoneseller said:

I hope I can find smaller sizes, it's an arduous work to bring them upstairs... 

And I think after 10 years the house will not move drastically, I saw ( noticed) movement in the first couple of years. Also I am able to inspect the supporting beams by the welding joints. There is no damage or negligence of work

It could easily be the house foundation that moved, and it could have happened years ago and broken the boards then.

as to smaller sizes, you probably won’t find them but an angle grinder and PPE are your frends.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It could easily be the house foundation that moved, and it could have happened years ago and broken the boards then.

as to smaller sizes, you probably won’t find them but an angle grinder and PPE are your frends.

So it won't be a problem if I install half size cut viva boards.. 

1 hour ago, aoneseller said:

So it won't be a problem if I install half size cut viva boards.. 

as long as they are correctly supported, and from the look of the steel showing in the picture it should be no problem.

I installed the first cut piece of viva board. No am not sure about the screwing distances. The old screws  were about about 24 inches apart, I want to put 12 inches. Also I have to pilot the self screwing screws otherwise its a bit difficult to drive the screw without piloting with a drill bit. 

3 hours ago, aoneseller said:

I installed the first cut piece of viva board. No am not sure about the screwing distances. The old screws  were about about 24 inches apart, I want to put 12 inches. Also I have to pilot the self screwing screws otherwise its a bit difficult to drive the screw without piloting with a drill bit. 

I drill clearance holes in the cement board but with the correct impact driver there is no need to pilot the steel. My impact driver has a setting for exactly that job.

You can reduce the distance between screws with no problem.

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

My impact driver has a setting for exactly that job.

Can you recommend me a cordless impact driver for the job? At the moment I use Hitachi rotary hammer with cord, it does the job, but very time-consuming with changing the heads for piloting. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, aoneseller said:

Can you recommend me a cordless impact driver for the job? At the moment I use Hitachi rotary hammer with cord, it does the job, but very time-consuming with changing the heads for piloting. 

I use the Makita 18V impact driver DTD 154RFE it has the Tech mode that you need for self drilling screws. It is brushless, no point in getting a brushed motor today, it’s an older model but it’s impossible to get the latest ones in Thailand. A Hitachi/Hikoki would also do the job. 
6CF38EEE-1A08-4267-A287-4B2BB8088AC5.jpeg.399c48b638afaa4b1fdc26e7fb9e86e2.jpeg

if you use the wing self drilling screws on the left you may be able to do away with pilot holes.

18ED7466-A809-4E58-B0E4-287963F7C545.jpeg.99f923059696e5fd56f1233709ea046a.jpeg

do not bother with 12v they can’t do the job

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Thanks for the advices sometimewoodworker. Now I am at the wall painting stage and after that go back to the floor. Now, do I have to use adhesive/silicone between the vivo boards? I didn't put them touching together, I left 2 mm gap between them. 

4 hours ago, aoneseller said:

Thanks for the advices sometimewoodworker. Now I am at the wall painting stage and after that go back to the floor. Now, do I have to use adhesive/silicone between the vivo boards? I didn't put them touching together, I left 2 mm gap between them. 

Neither, use a acrylic filler.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:43 AM, aoneseller said:

...it's an arduous work to bring them upstairs... 

Next time have them delivered, they'll generally carry them upstairs for you....