BANGKOK 21 April 2019 23:16
mogandave

Blue Vs Green Plastic Pipe

What is the difference? Is the green CPVC?

As I understand it, CPVC is okay for hot water and drinking water, is this correct?

Need to do a good bit of repiping. Any recommendations for a good plumber?

Thanks!

I ran all my hot water pipes to and from my multi-point water heaters in the green stuff. It has a smaller inside diameter or thicker walls.

If you get that green stuff (forget the technical term), make sure you get some joints and practice joining it so you know what your plumber should be doing. You don't just push the joints together (well, not the stuff I used).

Believe me it's a bummer to get in the built kitchen cupboards, knock through the cavity wall and fix the joint leaks.

Maybe a tip: when you finish connecting all the water pipes, before everything is closed up, turn your house pump on and see if the pump repeatedly starts for a small time then stops. You probably have leaks.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How is it joined together if not glued?
Mine were push in joints. (This is going from my memory which is not too good). You have to use the cutting tool to chamfer the pipe end then push it into the joint. If you pull the joint apart again, get a new joint, don't use an old joint.

The trouble with plumbing is you have to keep a good eye on what is happening, when there are usually a million other things happening with a build.
I had a guy who had worked as an engineer in a large Pattaya hotel for 20 odd years, knew all about plumbing. Hotel must have been full of leaks.

• Like 1

The trouble with plumbing is you have to keep a good eye on what is happening, when there are usually a million other things happening with a build.
I had a guy who had worked as an engineer in a large Pattaya hotel for 20 odd years, knew all about plumbing. Hotel must have been full of leaks.

These did not look like push-in joints...

These did not look like push-in joints...
There are more than one type available. The push-in ones I had work well and easy to assemble, when done properly.

The green pipes I used is welded together with a special heated tool. Plastic is melted and then quickly pushed together before cold. A lot safer than glued blue pipes. There are 2 different kinds of green pipes, one for cold and one for hot water. There is a white stripe on one, think it was the hot water.

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

Believe me it's a bummer to get in the built kitchen cupboards, knock through the cavity wall and fix the joint leaks.

Never had to do that but I can certainly take your word for it.      😀

These are the fittings I used. Can't remember why.
They have a brand 'SLYM' written on them.
I don't know if they are better or worse than the other brands. Seem to make a good tight joint, when done correctly.

They are a pain to get to pieces when you're a big fat old Farang working in a tiny Thai cupboard.

The top pic shows the pipes pushed into the connector.20190325_080852.jpeg20190325_081151.jpeg

Looking more at the bottom picture reminds me of another life when a staff member bought my attention to a close up of a quivering quim, ingrown hairs and all, on the server. Think she was sharing the pic with her boyfriend.
The boss knew about it, so I said I would make it go away so the youngster didn't get the sack etc. There were backup copied and even with my admin privilages I couldn't make it go away.
I contacted my mate in the big smoke and secretly we erased it.

Green is for drainage, blue is for water, hot and cold.

19 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Green is for drainage, blue is for water, hot and cold.

Not in Thailand ......green PP-R is for hot water, blue is general purpose cold water.

• Like 1