Thai elections: Odds against Pheu Thai

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, CLW said:

How are the odds of an uprising of the masses? Is it a question if or when?
EC announcing the rigged results at 2pm with probably more pathetic excuses such as a missing calculator...
If by then Phalang Ptacharat is declaring a win and nominate Prayuth, I expect something happening

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

something happening like the million posts about civil war after the king died? like the uprising against the junta the last 5 years? and you think something will happen now ? ????

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Just watching NHK news, when it got to commentary on updating the election result they are censoring and it goes off air. Says a lot about what is going on.

BBC too. Lots to hid from the world regarding this sham election. 

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

BBC already in London suggesting all is not well with the results and I'll use the exact word "dodgy"

That’s what it is looking like unfortunately but at least most Thai people seem like they can see through the BS.  Although who knows what this could lead to.  If they can at least just preserve the status quo for now that would be okay.  Although it would be nice to have at least a little bit of the old Thailand back.  

I don't understand why so many are bothering to argue with each other? We have our opinions but that's all they are. Most of did realise and still say that the junta wouldn't relinquish power and hence changed the constitution to reflect that. During the junta's past few years no voluminous actions were seen in disapproval of the juntas actions and we drew our own conclusions from that. If the people don't demonstrate that they want the junta and its influence out of Thai politics then it will remain. Imho this election was for international eyes. 

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Settle petal , BBC just relaying some stuff on Thai social media. Its such a non event they cant even be bothered paying to fly a reporter out to do boots on the ground reporting .

something happening like the million posts about civil war after the king died? like the uprising against the junta the last 5 years? and you think something will happen now ? [emoji16]
Why should there be a protest after the king's death. Thais of all parties and classes honour and respect the royal family.
People had hope at the beginning that the uncle general would change something. Then they were looking forward to these elections to chase him out in a democratic way.
As we see it didn't work out.

9 hours ago, balo said:

Future Forward is the future for Thailand, it's just a question of when it will happen. New generations will take over and out with the old ideas. 

Agree, and I hope challenges many things and pushes again and again for major / serious changes, because changes are so badly needed and also gives him a change to prove his credibility and his strength.

He recently mentioned he wants to make major changes to everything about education, this could be his litmus test - personally I hope he turns education upside down. 

18 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

It is not about hiding it from the world; live anywhere else and you will see it. It is about hiding it from Thais. The leadership does not want young and educated Thais to see English language critiques of the process. It is a self defeating tactic and we are now in a long game.

FFP are a firm rallying point for a growing movement. Watch the ruling group continue to go after them. How FFP resist will be key.

I asked you a simple question - he gave control on his media assets to mom, so what? everybody should believe that now he has no control over them?

but you preferred to put labels instead of answering
Has he ever used your proposed power in media during his campaign?

9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Yep and as the military have 250 of the 500 seats locked up, it's impossible for the other parties to form a coalition. This is the new "democracy". Hardly worth having an election...

The military has 250 votes of 750 votes locked up. The election is for the 500 seats/votes. In effect, in a 100-meter dash, the Junta is starting on the 33-meter line so a considerable head start. 

More strange happenings according to Thai news.

FFP have shown ballots that were deemed void because mark was made on left side and not right side as required. Up to 2 million votes spoiled.

However, a vote for Prayut's party on the left side of the ballot, was acceptable and counted.

Go figure! ")

47 minutes ago, madmen said:

Settle petal , BBC just relaying some stuff on Thai social media. Its such a non event they cant even be bothered paying to fly a reporter out to do boots on the ground reporting .

BBC report came with boots on the ground Johnathon Head in front of a polling booth. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Just watching NHK news, when it got to commentary on updating the election result they are censoring and it goes off air. Says a lot about what is going on.

There are several websites streaming the main tv channels on the net. Just type the name of the channel and live streaming on Google.

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Looking at the map the only way a new party is going to make headway is to provide the farmers with a different incentive.  To beat PT you have to win in the farming areas.  That is tantamount to the republicans winning NY or California.  Might happen but not in a long time. 

Of course the Grass-Root represent the bulk of the populous and getting their vote is essential...in a real democratic process. BUT, my wife reported after going back to her village to vote,that a part rep.(mm,I wonder which one) was openly offering money for their vote. My wife was so pissed by what she saw that I've never heard her open-up with so many colorful adjectives describing her fellow villagers before.

I told her that the old saying of "Thai-people are the nicest people money can buy" continues to have the ring of truth in it....she interjected with... "NO, Stupidest People money can buy"!

As an annual visitor to Thailand I have not experienced any injustice at the hands of the Military Government. However my age and nationality, I am from UK, convinces me that we have nothing to teach Thailand. 

10 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

As an annual visitor to Thailand I have not experienced any injustice at the hands of the Military Government. However my age and nationality, I am from UK, convinces me that we have nothing to teach Thailand. 

You missed the 90 shot dead in 2010 then, nasty business.

Khaosod English website relates interesting  information about irregularities with pictures and videos: inconsistent number of ballots, soldiers voting under the surveillance of officers on how they vote, etc.....

7 hours ago, Roadman said:

Agree. But you look at that election result and the same two lots of elites have still garnished the most seats between the two of them which says that Thailand is still not ready to escape the merry go round of the corrupt elected scumbags like the Shinawatra's or the complete incompetence of military rule. Thailand is not going to go ahead unlike it can break the subservient role that many of its uneducated citizens want to be cowered under. 

Disagree.

Pheu Thai is not a party for the elites, it is a party for the people, especially the working class vote, in fact in it's various (forced) guises it has been the only voice for the working class up until now.

Regardless of who pulls the strings in the background.

The other pro Prayut party is indeed the party for the elite and the royalists.

7 hours ago, Roadman said:

Issue for this term is what a party like Future Forward can fulfil to present themselves as an alternative and cut vote away from the two major parties at the next election. Their result for a first party is promising. Key is what they now show in opposing corruption and subservience. 

Agree.

My wife is as red as Karl Marx and Che Guavara all rolled into one.

She was'nt going to vote this time, saying why bother, it's fixed, everyone she has ever voted for gets thrown out unfairly.

She said whats the point, before its even started, it's 250-0 to the other side, how can we possibly win?

I said at least go and vote for whoever you want, opposite your hated Der Fuhrer.

So she voted for Future Forward....

As did her daughter at university and just about every other university student she knows...

The Future's bright.

The Future's Forward.

47 minutes ago, thequietman said:

More strange happenings according to Thai news.

FFP have shown ballots that were deemed void because mark was made on left side and not right side as required. Up to 2 million votes spoiled.

However, a vote for Prayut's party on the left side of the ballot, was acceptable and counted.

Go figure! ")

10 minutes ago, candide said:

Khaosod English website relates interesting  information about irregularities with pictures and videos: inconsistent number of ballots, soldiers voting under the surveillance of officers on how they vote, etc.....

This and a bunch of other stuff is all over the Facebook news feeds my missus reads.

First election ever here, where the Thai on the street has access to social media, uncensored, and real live news.

Lotta pi$$ed off people out there.

It aint over till the Fat Lady sings....

6 hours ago, justin case said:

if one does not like the results, there is always the fresh air of a new coup

When, not if, the coup comes, does all the MPs, or the Thai equivilant, lose their wages? I know, silly question.

I am just imagining a coup in the UK and all the MPs put out of work, losing their overpaid salaries and all their "expenses" and second homes they have claimed for, it would be some loss of their lifestyle and maybe even their pensions.

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Apparently you avoided answering my question and insert your own inscrutable diversion and hope to make us believe that the judiciary is in the hands of politicians and not the establishment. That in spite of political parties not aligned to the establishment have been disbanded and executives banned while those aligned were spared. You really don;t have a strong case. 

I answered your question ....I may be naive but can governing party tear up the constitution and re-write the law to disadvantage political parties?  

As I said, they can, have, and will probably do it again. Just look at how many Constitutions they have had in living memory.

Also don’t forget Thais voted to accept this constitution !

If you think the judiciary has not been influenced by various governments you really should do some reading on the subject. Just as an example, start with “ Pastrygate” http://thailandjumpedtheshark.blogspot.com/2008/06/pastrygate-thaksins-lawyers-jailed.html

And no, I am not saying that only one government or party is the only ones guilty, they are all tarred with the same brush. That link is a good example .....when Thaksin was in charge the courts appreciated his “lunch boxes” and did his will, then when he was gone they went the other way.

Yingluck was tried by the junta, and if Pheu Thai had won a clear majority they would be getting their revenge on Prayut one way or another. The general and his cohorts might have given themselves immunity for the coup but I am sure a PT govt would get them in court for something.

It’s the way of Thai “democracy”, and some of the posters here should stop getting their knickers in a knot over something they have no say in.

If the new government doesn’t suit you, relax, it won’t last 4 years until the next scheduled election. There will be another coup, or another civil uprising by red/yellow shirts, or the coalition will collapse and the parties re-align themselves .....or all three, not necessarily in that order.

Archived