Thai elections: Odds against Pheu Thai

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CLW said:

Why should there be a protest after the king's death. Thais of all parties and classes honour and respect the royal family.
People had hope at the beginning that the uncle general would change something. Then they were looking forward to these elections to chase him out in a democratic way.
As we see it didn't work out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I wasn't clear. There were a million posts on TV well ok maybe 7 thousand over the years leading up to the kings passing. Thailand was supposed to fall apart. real estate was going to be nearly free and the baht would implode..

Are you new here? I guessed you missed it.

Take a look out your window , see that som tam cart and the 6 people in line? Well here is a revelation they have already forgotten the election, their brains are hard wired that way and on the other hand we have the big Bwana westerners on TV who will be fighting about this for years to come . They need to look into their own version of democracy in their home countries which are mostly shambles before they pass on their expert advice to the Thais

12 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Will the senate that was was selected by Prayut Chan-o-cha be the ones to determine if he continues as the PM?

.... rather to a role he may manage way better - Defense Minister ... :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Tonybeerd said:

Military junta,s are notoriously hard to shift 

Not if they will establish a coalition government consisting of Pheu Thai and Future Forward + eventually Bhumjaithai ... :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

I answered your question ....I may be naive but can governing party tear up the constitution and re-write the law to disadvantage political parties?  

As I said, they can, have, and will probably do it again. Just look at how many Constitutions they have had in living memory.

Also don’t forget Thais voted to accept this constitution !

If you think the judiciary has not been influenced by various governments you really should do some reading on the subject. Just as an example, start with “ Pastrygate” http://thailandjumpedtheshark.blogspot.com/2008/06/pastrygate-thaksins-lawyers-jailed.html

And no, I am not saying that only one government or party is the only ones guilty, they are all tarred with the same brush. That link is a good example .....when Thaksin was in charge the courts appreciated his “lunch boxes” and did his will, then when he was gone they went the other way.

Yingluck was tried by the junta, and if Pheu Thai had won a clear majority they would be getting their revenge on Prayut one way or another. The general and his cohorts might have given themselves immunity for the coup but I am sure a PT govt would get them in court for something.

It’s the way of Thai “democracy”, and some of the posters here should stop getting their knickers in a knot over something they have no say in.

If the new government doesn’t suit you, relax, it won’t last 4 years until the next scheduled election. There will be another coup, or another civil uprising by red/yellow shirts, or the coalition will collapse and the parties re-align themselves .....or all three, not necessarily in that order.

good reason not to put money in the banks here.

5 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Actually the blue party was the democrats. The going rate up here was between 200 & 400 and the family is dirty as they were not offered anything. Something about a farang in the family might put them into the authorities.

There was money to be had in our village as well and it's red as can be. My wife wasn't approached either, as you say, the farang thing might rub off.

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

The military has 250 votes of 750 votes locked up. The election is for the 500 seats/votes. In effect, in a 100-meter dash, the Junta is starting on the 33-meter line so a considerable head start. 

Or to put it another way it's like Man Utd (City or Liverpool) starting the season with a 35 point lead.????

1 hour ago, madmen said:

I wasn't clear. There were a million posts on TV well ok maybe 7 thousand over the years leading up to the kings passing. Thailand was supposed to fall apart. real estate was going to be nearly free and the baht would implode..

Are you new here? I guessed you missed it.

Take a look out your window , see that som tam cart and the 6 people in line? Well here is a revelation they have already forgotten the election, their brains are hard wired that way and on the other hand we have the big Bwana westerners on TV who will be fighting about this for years to come . They need to look into their own version of democracy in their home countries which are mostly shambles before they pass on their expert advice to the Thais

History does not reflect this.

13 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

There was money to be had in our village as well and it's red as can be. My wife wasn't approached either, as you say, the farang thing might rub off.

So in conclusion all paid for votes. Hopefully this will stop posters from cherry picking one side. 

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

I answered your question ....I may be naive but can governing party tear up the constitution and re-write the law to disadvantage political parties?  

As I said, they can, have, and will probably do it again. Just look at how many Constitutions they have had in living memory.

Also don’t forget Thais voted to accept this constitution !

If you think the judiciary has not been influenced by various governments you really should do some reading on the subject. Just as an example, start with “ Pastrygate” http://thailandjumpedtheshark.blogspot.com/2008/06/pastrygate-thaksins-lawyers-jailed.html

And no, I am not saying that only one government or party is the only ones guilty, they are all tarred with the same brush. That link is a good example .....when Thaksin was in charge the courts appreciated his “lunch boxes” and did his will, then when he was gone they went the other way.

Yingluck was tried by the junta, and if Pheu Thai had won a clear majority they would be getting their revenge on Prayut one way or another. The general and his cohorts might have given themselves immunity for the coup but I am sure a PT govt would get them in court for something.

It’s the way of Thai “democracy”, and some of the posters here should stop getting their knickers in a knot over something they have no say in.

If the new government doesn’t suit you, relax, it won’t last 4 years until the next scheduled election. There will be another coup, or another civil uprising by red/yellow shirts, or the coalition will collapse and the parties re-align themselves .....or all three, not necessarily in that order.

This is simply not true. You are obviously misinformed.

- No need to be the government to give pastry boxes. I guess plenty of people did it without being at the government. The fact he had to (try to) give pastry boxes even confirms that he had no influence otherwise.

- all recent changes to constitutions since 1997 have been made at the initiative of the military. When the PTP tried to chenge it they have been prevented by the Supreme court (on which ground?)

- 4 pro-Thaksin PMs have been convicted while in power (including because of cooking shows), as well as several Ministers and one party dissolved. Not really a proof that they could influence the courts. Which yellow PM, coup-maker, or high political yellow figure has been convicted while the pro-Thakskin clan was in power? (I wrote 'convicted', not 'indicted')

- you also don't know the new constitution, otherwise you would not make some of the comments you made. As I mentioned before,  the approval of 20% or EACH opposition party is necessary to amend the constitution. So it means that even a party with 2 or 3 MPs can block any change.

4 hours ago, CLW said:

Has he ever used your proposed power in media during his campaign?

I am sure he did. it's can't be checked, that's why the law says he can't have stakes at media. but he just sent them to mom 2 days before the elections day.

what a joke...

8 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Did you also saw the 90+ dead in the hands of the military? Double vision?

No, I didn't see them.

It's really sad that some soldiers had to die while they were fighting against the red mob and the MiB.

The soldiers had to do their duty. They couldn't just go home.

The red shirts knew the risk. Some of them had war weapons, grenades, etc. and they had the MiB in the middle of them.

They should have gone home. They had the choice to go home. They didn't...

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

So in conclusion all paid for votes. Hopefully this will stop posters from cherry picking one side. 

They all do it Eric. Just like they all have bully boys in their "own" areas to crack the whip and coerce and intimidate when necessary. And, IME, that's politics in many Asian countries. They are all out of the same mold really.

Even in the UK we've just had treasonous Theresa dishing out big bribes to areas in the form of aid grants to try and buy votes for her crap deal.

It's seems politics everywhere is riddled with corruption, lies and deceit. Only we get more information about it now.

No one tried it round here AFAIK though. 

4 hours ago, thequietman said:

More strange happenings according to Thai news.

FFP have shown ballots that were deemed void because mark was made on left side and not right side as required. Up to 2 million votes spoiled.

However, a vote for Prayut's party on the left side of the ballot, was acceptable and counted.

Go figure! ")

They will do absolutely ANYTHING to win.

58 minutes ago, candide said:

This is simply not true. You are obviously misinformed.

- No need to be the government to give pastry boxes. I guess plenty of people did it without being at the government. The fact he had to (try to) give pastry boxes even confirms that he had no influence otherwise.

- all recent changes to constitutions since 1997 have been made at the initiative of the military. When the PTP tried to chenge it they have been prevented by the Supreme court (on which ground?)

- 4 pro-Thaksin PMs have been convicted while in power (including because of cooking shows), as well as several Ministers and one party dissolved. Not really a proof that they could influence the courts. Which yellow PM, coup-maker, or high political yellow figure has been convicted while the pro-Thakskin clan was in power? (I wrote 'convicted', not 'indicted')

- you also don't know the new constitution, otherwise you would not make some of the comments you made. As I mentioned before,  the approval of 20% or EACH opposition party is necessary to amend the constitution. So it means that even a party with 2 or 3 MPs can block any change.

I thought that the gentleman who appeared on the cooking shows was removed because he lied to parliament about it rather than appearing in the shows per se. However, Yingluck initially lied to parliament about her secretive meeting at the Four Seasons Hotel but wasn't removed. Thaksin was never punished for trying to bribe the judges either. So there isn't really any consistency.

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I thought that the gentleman who appeared on the cooking shows was removed because he lied to parliament about it rather than appearing in the shows per se. However, Yingluck initially lied to parliament about her secretive meeting at the Four Seasons Hotel but wasn't removed. Thaksin was never punished for trying to bribe the judges either. So there isn't really any consistency.

I understand that Samak Sundaravej was ordered to stand down by the court for breaching the constitution by holding outside business interests, namely the cooking show. It was a ridiculous decision of the court and left many scratching their heads.    

5 hours ago, Ulic said:

The military has 250 votes of 750 votes locked up. The election is for the 500 seats/votes. In effect, in a 100-meter dash, the Junta is starting on the 33-meter line so a considerable head start. 

couldn't say it better..., even Bolt wouldn't have a chance and we all know, he can run

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

They will do absolutely ANYTHING to win.

was wondering what the BIMBO wearing the uniform was trying to show, now understand, she was smiling while pointing out the fake ballots 555

9 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

All i'm saying, is the person that told me would have no reason at all to lie to me. And they said that this is actually the first time they have experienced this during an election campaign. Many other people here have said that this has been happening in other areas across Thailand. 

well her Auntie is happy with the  200 baht in her purse that seems proof enough. Nice little man doing house calls with nice bag of money, even Uncle got some too, but both hate the Army so voted others

5 hours ago, thequietman said:

More strange happenings according to Thai news.

FFP have shown ballots that were deemed void because mark was made on left side and not right side as required. Up to 2 million votes spoiled.

However, a vote for Prayut's party on the left side of the ballot, was acceptable and counted.

Go figure! ")

The top of the iceberg has emerged - Hopefully more to come as this stinks ...

voting under the condition of a reigning junta is a farce. There is nothing worth to discuss of the outcome of this election.

real democracy needs: freedom of speech, freedom of association, and many other circumstances for all parties to call it a democratic election.

If the junta is not willing to step back before ( of course after) the  election, it is not going to be a democratic system again. And step back meaning, all laws and changing of the constitution by the junta has to make undone( withdraw).

There a many examples in other countries where a junta was trying to give themselves legitimacy by staging a so called "democratic" election.

That even Prayut as the front man of the junta is trying  to be the leader of the government (PM) tops this farce.

1 hour ago, Matt96 said:

I am sure he did. it's can't be checked, that's why the law says he can't have stakes at media. but he just sent them to mom 2 days before the elections day.

what a joke...

Lol. There's even a better joke: the army owns two TV channels (5 and 7).

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Ekachai added that elected MPs must figure out who the public wanted as PM before making their decision to vote

Really? They were put in place for a reason and told who would become the next "elected" PM.

They are never ashamed or embarrassed, are they?

PPRP party co-founder Sontirat Sontijirawong said. “We have conducted ourselves according to the Constitution.”

Your constitution written by your own party leader and only for one purpose, by whatever means win this election and keep the Uncle in his function.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived