BANGKOK 25 May 2019 03:50
webfact

A resounding vote for democracy

48 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Stopped reading that joke of a paper years ago.

It's an embarrassment to the country. 

And the cloned supposed news outlet for the expats is the cream on the joke 

• Like 1

How has democracy worked for the likes of Australia and the UK .... 

they are both an absolute mess ...

Australia has had something like 6 PM's in the last 5 years & is on the verge of a recession.

oh wait  !!  that's right ,  it's called democracy ... lol  !!!!!!!!!!  :whistling:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...A resounding vote for democracy..."

Er... Ahem... Oh... Not quite.

"...The Election Commission (EC) estimated voter turnout at about 65.9 per cent..." 

In 2011, it was about 75%.

A "Resounding Vote for Democracy" would have seen that number go up, not down by 10%.

Hey Nation! There is this groovy concept called math...

Maths, only ever applied to achieve advantage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

How has democracy worked for the likes of Australia and the UK .... 

they are both an absolute mess ...

Australia has had something like 6 PM's in the last 5 years & is on the verge of a recession.

oh wait  !!  that's right ,  it's called democracy ... lol  !!!!!!!!!!  :whistling:

Yes but it works in the long run. Better would be an intelligent, benevolent dictatorship but who is going to keep him benevolent.

• Like 1

So the party that won the most House seats will not be forming the next government. This is not democracy. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

You beat me to it. 65% turnout and a distinctly undemocratic feel to the whole election.

And there we have it; what The Nation deems news!

65% turnout means that 35% couldn't be arsed, or were too drunk to get to the polling station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those who are complaining please explain what is so bad for expats now.

The government stays the same, if I understand it correctly. It has been like that for 5 years already.

I do not care if the polls are rigged or genuine. None of my business.

In my view all stays the same.

The long-term risks for expats in terms of visa, air pollution and THB appreciation stay, which is why many consider other countries or make their exit-strategy. But it is nothing new.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

So the party that won the most House seats will not be forming the next government. This is not democracy. 

Were you expecting a complete shift it Thainess just because there was a "democratic" election. 

Actually as I read it nothing is settled yet. Not in the Nation, but in Bangkok Post it is clear that in 123 order it is Pheu Thai, Palang Pracharath and Future Forward. for the top 3 but do not discount the rest.

So if they can manage to stop acting like schoolboys it is quite possible for a coalition Government to be formed and completely oust the army-loving vote-riggers.

The next few days will show if there is a level of maturity leading to victory among anti-junta parties or selfish stupidity giving the old PM another 5 years to make songs, Friday broadcasts and continue to be self-serving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, madmen said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Your wife is suffering a little loss of face and her friends obviously dont represent the majority . Its called democracy and she was simply on the losing side. 🙄

There is always the "I didn't vote for xxxxx" effect, when in actual fact they did but won't admit to it, hapens everywhere - not just in LOS. 

• Thanks 1

A flame post and reply have been removed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

65% turnout means that 35% couldn't be arsed, or were too drunk to get to the polling station.

Couldn't be drunk, no booze available and if the Thais are anything like a lot of TV posters they wouldn't be able to organise the forward purchase 😊

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1