BANGKOK 22 May 2019 15:42
webfact

A resounding vote for democracy

3 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

65.9% is a lot higher than many long established democracies.

I thought voting compulsory in Thailand.  A fall from 75% to 66% shows a singular contempt for the law even if not a lack of optimism about whether the result would make any difference

38 minutes ago, robblok said:

Good analysis the losers will be complaining about fraud for sure if it is there. I never believed in wide spread fraud and manipulation. Incidents will happen but large scale no way.

Yes let us not forget the huge number of PTP MP's that switched side and took with them their voters. Everyone though that these guys would lose the votes. That did not happen shows again that its not the party but the MP's that control the voting.

Still, i don't like that the junta did so well nor did I expect it. But it makes quite a few things clear for me.

My wife and I live in a small village near Chiang Mai. She voted, but not for PTP or Prayuth. I asked her why she voted for an obscure small party that had no chance of winning. Her answer was fascinating for me, "I want to make sure that nobody else can use my vote." I don't know if there is a policy or practice in our village of counting the unused ballots and filling them out, but she was certainly concerned.

7 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I thought voting compulsory in Thailand.  A fall from 75% to 66% shows a singular contempt for the law even if not a lack of optimism about whether the result would make any difference

If I recall correctly Australia has compulsory voting and fines can be assessed for non compliance. I'm all for it, in my country it is not uncommon for mid 40% turnouts to vote.

. If the election was rigged then the first people to complain would be the politicians who lost out. I can't see any of this, yet  posters on this forum say the election was rigged. But I guess they're just the  usual pathetic Thai bashers on this forum.  

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The way everything was weighted so heavily, to the advantage of the future PM (a.k.a. coup leader), it can hardly be called a 'resounding vote for democracy' !

True, but the seeds of change may have been sown. More people showing up to vote, paying attention to what is being promised, etc. The question is will it be too late? The likely winner (unless something very dramatic takes place) will probably eliminate any voice the people have and create a dictatorship if not stopped soon.