Elections went smoothly, says top EC official

webfact

By The Nation

3c404cbfbea0e0045b6f0ba616b16c96.jpeg

Nation/Tanachai Pramarnpanich

The Election Commission (EC) announced yesterday that the casting of ballots had been successful with all polling stations closing on time at 5pm.

In a press briefing an hour before the voting ended on Sunday, EC’s secretary-general Jarungvith Phumma said the turnout was high judging from media reports and also because all those who turned 18 and above on election day were eligible to vote. Previously, only those who turned 18 on New Year’s day were deemed eligible. 

He added that instances of ballot tearing had been reported in 21 polling stations in the provinces of Lamphun, Samut Songkhram, Ayutthaya, Yasothon, Chiang Mai, Tak, Bangkok, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Angthong, Saraburi, Ubon Ratchathani, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chachoengsao, Nakhon Nayok, Si Sa Ket, Buri Ram, Sakhon Nakhon, Udon Thani and Lampang. 

Also, there were two cases of marked ballots being photographed in Chon Buri and Buri Ram, he said, adding that though these voters may not have intended to break the law, these acts were punishable by law. He added that 91 cases of electoral violation had been reported and will be further investigated by the EC.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30366463

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-25

Must have gone smooth. The first polling station (the wrong one, we found out) was "protected" by a soldier without helmet, guns and grenades - the second (correct one) was "protected" by a soldier without helmet, guns and grenades. 

In other countries you might think something down the line of "psychological war fare" but in peaceful Thailand it was yet another re-endorsing factor of "safety", under which the uncertain ones could vote - in peace! Thanks for all those soldiers being present and ensuring peaceful voting all over the land! 

For a nation known world-wide for COPYING, fraud etc.. I find the report very hard to beleive.

I trust the nation will now be content and that the future will be brighter for all, but sad,y I keep reflecting at the past, and have doubts.

Why you think this ?

You must read the history of "farang" We foreigners have a long experience of democracy much more than Thailand and we do not like the dictatorship for which many have died to regain democracy and we struggle continuously for the future

39 minutes ago, madmen said:

Well done Thailand for a civil election without violence. Sad that many farang who are guests in this country refuse to accept democracy

Why you think this ?

You must read the history of "farang" We foreigners have a long experience of democracy much more than Thailand and we do not like the dictatorship for which many have died to regain democracy and we struggle continuously for the future

48 minutes ago, madmen said:

Well done Thailand for a civil election without violence. Sad that many farang who are guests in this country refuse to accept democracy

I don't want problem so won't put any details but I was surprised when my girlfriend got paid 200 baht to vote for some number. She took the money but voted for the number she really wanted. I guess this is "democracy". 

3 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I don't want problem so won't put any details but I was surprised when my girlfriend got paid 200 baht to vote for some number. She took the money but voted for the number she really wanted. I guess this is "democracy". 

She was done my wife got 500 baht, In Sahmt Prakan

50 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The Petition mentioned in the article is just about to hit 500K and also just now:

screenshot.png.1fda16e3a2506d255aaa19a7a15b4157.png

Now have to wait 2 weeks for know who win?

And the important questions will probably never been answered.

But now many Thai people already show the "non-trust" to the election Committee, and prepared a vote. 

If i am reading correct already more than 1 million Thais signed.

9 hours ago, Ulic said:

So the reports of voting irregularities on the BBC are fake news I am guessing. :whistling:

Not just the BBC.

Watching the Thai evening news the reports of massive and blatant fraud are flooding in. Hundreds of thousands of excess ghost voters in many districts.

Really a complete disgrace from an incompetent and corrupt ECC. 

If they could have cheated more discreetly at least that would have been achievement. As it is they deserve the 2 black marks instead of the obvious one.

Also, there is no prostitution, Thais ripping off Thais, over charging by anyone or any problems of any description here in fantasy land. Please line up to have our government prescribed experience of this place embedded within your brain.

Money been given for votes, Unsealed Ballot boxes, people sent to wrong area to vote, but told OK to still vote in wrong area, Peoples names still on the voting paper but had withdraw their name, but you could still vote for them. People who went to vote and their names not on the voting list so could not vote.  Yes went smoothly,

Archived