Thanathorn grateful for 50-seat debut

webfact

Thanathorn grateful for 50-seat debut

By The Nation

a6e5a8adec133bf775576fc24d9f2c5c.jpeg

Nation/Anant Chantarasoot

Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit thanked voters for making space for the party in the Thai political landscape after it won more than 50 of the 500 seats in Parliament.

He told Thai Rath TV that, despite the junta’s built-in electoral advantages, citizens made their choices based on their hopes for the future of the country.

Future Forward has made no decisions as yet about forming alliances with other parties in a bid to form a government, he said, but it has made clear its opposition to the perpetuation of military rule that began with the 2014 coup.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30366474

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-25

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He told Thai Rath TV that, despite the junta’s built-in electoral advantages, citizens made their choices based on their hopes for the future of the country.

indeed; this is the only real positive to take away from this rigged election

Great result for him and his party - coming from nowhere just a few months ago.
Thanathorn has said many times that he is in it for the long run. Now they have time to plan and work on a new future for this country. The next government will be very likely built on the base of a rigged election and in the end will be embroiled in corruption and mismanagement - playing into his and FFP hands.
The “establishment” will be too old or dead in the next 10- 15 years - just a bad memory - and then the country can finally move forward!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

50 is a good number now they have to prove themselves.  It should be interesting do they align with the military or a Thaksin based party or do they stay out of it altogether.  my suggestion would stay out of the coalitions and be a party of their own.

34 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Seems pretty obvious they will not willingly align with the military. 

But given their other statements they shouldn’t be aligning with PT either. Perhaps joining with the PPRP and others on the condition Prayut is NOT the next PM ?

With the 3rd largest number of MPs they will have some clout no matter where they end up.

Impressive win for debuting party with more than 70 seats. Previous polls have them wining no seats. The party will certainly gained support and popularity by the next election. Most of the incumbent political leaders like Thaksin and Ahbisit will be fading into the background and Prayut will probably be dispensed before his tenure is over. Lots of opportunities for Thanatorn to rise to the political apex. Just have to remember what he pledged in his campaign to the people and not wavered from these policies. Let's hope his party survive till the next election.  

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Impressive win for debuting party with more than 70 seats. Previous polls have them wining no seats. The party will certainly gained support and popularity by the next election. Most of the incumbent political leaders like Thaksin and Ahbisit will be fading into the background and Prayut will probably be dispensed before his tenure is over. Lots of opportunities for Thanatorn to rise to the political apex. Just have to remember what he pledged in his campaign to the people and not wavered from these policies. Let's hope his party survive till the next election.  

Yes these guys are the winner (if you look at increases in votes). The democrats the biggest loser and the PTP second biggest loser. 

Sad that the junta party got so many votes seems Thai visa members had it totally wrong. I had it totally wrong. I never expected this. I expected a humiliating loss for the junta not the victory they have now. (getting close to the PTP is a real good result for them). Sad but its how the people voted.

I hope that indeed Thaksin will dissapear together with Prayut, Ahbisit and peferable Suthep (though with his win here that might be hard) and Charlem. 

So far only Ahbisit is sure to leave the scene. 

I really hope FFW will grow.

A great result starting from behind and not forgetting a few tried extremely hard to hamstring him. Hope he spend the next few years quietly working away to increase his popularity which shouldn't too hard as the incoming guys will only be interested in one thing - and it's not the benefiting of Thailand. 

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Seems pretty obvious they will not willingly align with the military. 

If he does, he will loose all credibility with the electorate, no matter how he dresses it up.  I wish him and his party the best of luck and look forward to seeing them fight for true democracy, rather than a continuum of what many are saying is a dictatorship.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes these guys are the winner (if you look at increases in votes). The democrats the biggest loser and the PTP second biggest loser. 

Sad that the junta party got so many votes seems Thai visa members had it totally wrong. I had it totally wrong. I never expected this. I expected a humiliating loss for the junta not the victory they have now. (getting close to the PTP is a real good result for them). Sad but its how the people voted.

I hope that indeed Thaksin will dissapear together with Prayut, Ahbisit and peferable Suthep (though with his win here that might be hard) and Charlem. 

So far only Ahbisit is sure to leave the scene. 

I really hope FFW will grow.

I actually don't have an issue with the status quote that seems to be coming from this election. Agree hopefully this is the party of the future and they can grow corruption free and force a strong position at the next election. 

While this election was set to ensure a Junta controlled result I don't think that is a bad thing considering the circus merry go round of the last now coming towards a century of failure that has been Thai so called democracy (sic). The alternatives are to worrying to be thankful they didn't eventuate. Imagine if Pheu Thai had magically got over the line and the Shinawatra's with their bloody corrupt practices were back in control with the likes of Charlem and the UDD creating chaos again to all who disagreed with thier fortune building at Thailands expense. Then look at the current Army chief in control...jeez it would be worrying when the inevitable coup from this chappie occurred. It would be bloody again on all sides. The advantage this option has is there is at least some stability if not economically that the likes of Future Forward can grow in.  

Its certain that the circus of the  last 87 years has not worked so what are the alternatives rather than repeating that stupidity and expecting a different result. Where Thailand sits now is possibly the ground to build something from. Hopefully the likes of Future Forward can do that for the better of all including the poor of Isaan.

6 minutes ago, Roadman said:

I actually don't have an issue with the status quote that seems to be coming from this election. Agree hopefully this is the party of the future and they can grow corruption free and force a strong position at the next election. 

While this election was set to ensure a Junta controlled result I don't think that is a bad thing considering the circus merry go round of the last now coming towards a century of failure that has been Thai so called democracy (sic). The alternatives are to worrying to be thankful they didn't eventuate. Imagine if Pheu Thai had magically got over the line and the Shinawatra's with their bloody corrupt practices were back in control with the likes of Charlem and the UDD creating chaos again to all who disagreed with thier fortune building at Thailands expense. Then look at the current Army chief in control...jeez it would be worrying when the inevitable coup from this chappie occurred. It would be bloody again on all sides. The advantage this option has is there is at least some stability if not economically that the likes of Future Forward can grow in.  

Its certain that the circus of the  last 87 years has not worked so what are the alternatives rather than repeating that stupidity and expecting a different result. Where Thailand sits now is possibly the ground to build something from. Hopefully the likes of Future Forward can do that for the better of all including the poor of Isaan.

In principle I would have to agree, seems the lesser of two evils has come out on top for the time being. It's a shame Future Forward didn't beat them all but that was never a possibility this time - next time might be a different story. 

13 hours ago, MikeN said:

But given their other statements they shouldn’t be aligning with PT either. Perhaps joining with the PPRP and others on the condition Prayut is NOT the next PM ?

With the 3rd largest number of MPs they will have some clout no matter where they end up.

If aligning with another party will not prevent the junta from retaining power they should remain totally unaffiliated to make it harder for infiltration from the corrupt influences, appear to be less of a threat (and thereby avoid being a target for those already in power), and continue to build.

Archived