Election won’t change anything, says first-time voter

webfact

By Phuwit Limpiviphuwat 
The Nation

4f0f53712efc589a9442dca2f3f87b63.jpeg

Poompetch Kaewkanchanaroj, a 23-year-old who works in marketing, believes the polls will not bring any significant changes to Thai politics.

“The roots of Thailand’s political problems lie in our flawed education system. No matter who wins in this election, there would always be a vocal group that would oppose them,” he said.

Poompetch urged voters to judge parties based on their economic and education policies and to have a clear understanding of the economy.

“Less educated voters may not understand that some short-term gains from the policies proposed by different political parties may lead to long-term problems for the Thai economy,” he argued.

For example, hiking the minimum wage may only bring short-term benefits for the poor, but may lead to inflation, higher cost of living and high unemployment in the long-run, he said.

“For these reasons, progress in Thai politics may be slow as misinformation, fake news and poor education are widespread,” he explained. “We can only hope for long-term gradual change at this point.”

Poompetch echoed the younger generation’s discontent with the current administration, calling for a change in the way the country is governed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30366456

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-25

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“The roots of Thailand’s political problems lie in our flawed education system. No matter who wins in this election, there would always be a vocal group that would oppose them,” he said.

Someone congratulate this young man for seeing the flaws!

With young people like him at least there is hope for the future.
The only sad thing is that the current establishment does not want the Thai people to be educated and smart “ keep them dumb and depending on handouts” is what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Intelligent young man.........something the Government does not want. Maybe he will go for "Re-Education" . Or maybe he is the voice of thousands for the future.......will we see another student uprising?

it put egg in Abhisit's face.  it did that.  I have never forgotten Abhisit, as Prime Minister of Thailand, made the statement, I am sure to have it quite accurate and not out of any special 'context' at all that I know of at the time:

"the most important thing for the students in school is that they have fun"

as a "New Yorker" to hear that that is the top priority for schools....  that sure makes me a farlang that doesn't understand anything.   if Abhisit has egg in his face then so much the good.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

By Phuwit Limpiviphuwat 
The Nation

4f0f53712efc589a9442dca2f3f87b63.jpeg

Poompetch Kaewkanchanaroj, a 23-year-old who works in marketing, believes the polls will not bring any significant changes to Thai politics.

Yep he's right, No matter who rules Thailand. Things won't change the stubborn culture of saving face and kowtowing to Puuyai....... 

Yes, the education system needs an overall, definitely.

And also to instill a culture of <responsibility<.

Nobody seems to be responsible for anything.

Nobody is responsible for accidents on the roads, nobody is responsible for the road carnage, nobody is responsible for controlling behaviors on the roads, nobody is responsible for the safety of people, nobody feels responsible for picking up their own litter thrown all over, nobody, well, just about nobody.

Now how will someone find anyone who will take responsibility for improving the education system......

Yes, he is right, no doubt about it. However, from what I see of the 'ordinary' next generation there are and won't be enough like him to change it. Changing politics takes hard work and a lot of self sacrifice and I really don't see too much of that around in the schools. The first syndrome to eliminate is that so embedded one, Mi Pen Rai.

14 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Intelligent young man.........something the Government does not want. Maybe he will go for "Re-Education" . Or maybe he is the voice of thousands for the future.......will we see another student uprising?

Don't laugh, they are looking for him now!

This young man has more insight than most who are currently influencing the Thai society. Or do those who are the current influencers prefer keeping the education level low to allow the sheep to be more easily led?

Archived