May in fight to retain grip on Brexit as parliament seeks control

webfact

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Then Brexiteers should stop repeating the Brexit = 'no-deal' only lie

Obviously you have issues and difficulty understanding grown ups on TV, who speak about politics. May I suggest you leave it to the grown ups. You will not get another response, so go along and play with the others in the playground.  You can't debate as an adult so I won't try.

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

Obviously you have issues and difficulty understanding grown ups on TV, who speak about politics. May I suggest you leave it to the grown ups. You will not get another response, so go along and play with the others in the playground.  You can't debate as an adult so I won't try.

Brexiteer flounces off.

40 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

It didn't say "how" the Leave option would be implemented either.  It's like a divorce - Q: do you want to divorce your wife? A: I do.  Then comes all the argy-bargy about the division of the property, access rights to the kids and so on.  Anyone who didn't understand that there would be a divorce settlement is plain naive

Q: Do you want to divorce your wife?

A: I do....... OK you can live in the shed at the bottom of her garden and only use Tesco to buy your provisions.

Just now, sanemax said:

Thats because there was only leave or stay .

There was no half leave/half stay (deal)  option 

Leave or stay did not include the terms of exit. Parliament understands this even if stupid Hard Brexiteers don't.

Just now, vogie said:

Q: Do you want to divorce your wife?

A: I do....... OK you can live in the shed at the bottom of her garden and only use Tesco to buy your provisions.

There's nothing wrong with Tesco - Brenda has won gift cards from them - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/12/queen-wins-tesco-gift-card-at-the-races-royal-windsor-horse-show

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If May goes, you'll just get another fool taking the job who just wants the 65k PM pension, and 150k for life allowance.

Correct, like all politicians, worldwide.

Edit.  As an extra bonus, they also get the feeling of being in power.

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Leave or stay did not include the terms of exit. Parliament understands this even if stupid Hard Brexiteers don't.

May I suggest once again, that you stop calling people "stupid"

You had posts deleted yesterday for being abusive and I suggest that you behave yourself 

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Brexiteers making things up again. No-deal only not on the referendum paper.

No-Deal was part of Article 50 which 498 MPs voted for. i.e. leave with a deal or leave with no deal.

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

True...

But Tusk has made it clear the door is open on a longer extension, that would be dependent on the UK participating in the EU parliamentary elections and I doubt that would be for anything shorter than 15 months (June 30th 2020).

Tusk will agree to as many extensions as it takes to get the outcome he wants and that is dependent upon absolutely nothing. Tusk, May, The EU, and the Financial and Political Establishment on both sides of the Channel are all on the same side here. The "demands" are nothing but a tactic by Tusk to induce the result he desires. If at the end of this proposed extension the UK sorted out nothing and a Hard Brexit was imminent they'd simply invent some new proposed "solution" and Tusk would grant another extension.    

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

An issue which has puzzled me for a year at least, don't have any good answers though:

Now UK and EU have been in talks for 2 years or so re the w-deal,

guess one could say the outcome is close to disaster, spelt with DIS, very few accept it

those who are meant to enjoy it hates it.

Talks derailed fairly early in the process. (there are reasons for that, but doesn't matter now)

Now, over the past few months, TM, cabinet, sizeable portion of MPs (not majority in any way)

want that deal approved and ratified.

Fair enough, their taste.

But:

Jumping on this deal probably means years of new talks with the EU,

many more and much more complicated issues of vital importance for the future of the UK.

Is there any reason at all to think that these talks (if deal is approved) will in any way go better

than the disaster we have behind us?

have no answer, but this puzzles me

IMHO Brexit has gone from SNAFU at the beginning to FUBAR now.

If you are not quite sure what the terms SNAFU and FUBAR you can Google them for an explanation.

Teresa May was eager enough to pick up the poisoned chalice back in 2016 but I don't think that is enough money in the UK to pay anybody to take it off her now.

https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/be+careful+what+you+wish+for.html

What does 'Be careful what you wish for' mean?

If you get things that you desire, there may be unforeseen and unpleasant consequences.
('Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true.' and 'Be careful what you wish for; you may receive it.' are also used.)

Category: General

2 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

Tusk will agree to as many extensions as it takes to get the outcome he wants and that is dependent upon absolutely nothing. Tusk, May, The EU, and the Financial and Political Establishment on both sides of the Channel are all on the same side here. The "demands" are nothing but a tactic by Tusk to induce the result he desires. If at the end of this proposed extension the UK sorted out nothing and a Hard Brexit was imminent they'd simply invent some new proposed "solution" and Tusk would grant another extension.    

And then Elvis would re-appear.

10 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Why did Parliament vote for article 50 if they did not agree with it? Article 50 states we leave on 29 March with or without a deal.

Leaving without a deal is leaving the EU, and is therefore honoring the vote of 17.4 million people. Negotiating a pathetically one sided deal and then reneging on Article 50 when Parliament rejects it is not honoring the result.

Got it yet?

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

No-deal is an option. It is not the only option.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

The mask is slipping.????

Huh? No-deal has always been on the table and will remain so even with the agreed Withdrawal Extension. My argument is with those pushing the nonsense that it is the only option available for Brexit.

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Why did Parliament vote for article 50 if they did not agree with it? Article 50 states we leave on 29 March with or without a deal.

Leaving without a deal is leaving the EU, and is therefore honoring the vote of 17.4 million people. Negotiating a pathetically one sided deal and then reneging on Article 50 when Parliament rejects it is not honoring the result.

Got it yet?

Yes. But you haven't. Yes, the UK can leave with or without a deal. The rest is just Hard Brexiteer baloney.

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Huh? No-deal has always been on the table and will remain so even with the agreed Withdrawal Extension. My argument is with those pushing the nonsense that it is the only option available for Brexit.

My point is that leaving the E.U with a deal , isnt really , completely leaving the E.U. , it isnt exiting the E.U. , it would be staying in the E.U , but under different rules and conditions .

I cannot say what 17 million people voted for and neither can you , but, leave is leave , not half leave an d half stay in 

9 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Yes. But you haven't. Yes, the UK can leave with or without a deal. The rest is just Hard Brexiteer baloney.

Where did I say we cannot leave with a deal? Of course we could leave with a deal (if the EU would accept anything remotely fair to the UK instead of trying to lock us into a backstop with no end date, no unilateral exit clause and charging us 39 Billion quid for the privilege).

But they won't, because if other EU countries see the UK get a decent deal and prosper after Brexit they will also want out of their corrupt cartel. This is why they keep trying to lock us in, and then panicking when it looks like we'll go with no deal.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Of course they say it will be a disaster. Just as they predicted 500,000 jobs losses, emergency budget, recession etc. just on a VOTE to leave (not actually leaving). Look how that turned out, we're doing pretty well despite the doomsday predictions.

There will be no cliff edge, no car crash, this is just emotive language which if repeated often enough people start to believe. We'll trade on WTO terms as we do with most of the rest of the world until a trade deal is reached. There will be some minor delays at the main EU ports for a few months I'd imagine but essentials like vital medicine can be sourced from outside the EU if necessary. If essentials cost more to bring in by air from outside the EU, subsidize it from the 39 Billion we saved until things settle down. There are plenty of 'experts' predicting very little negative impact from No Deal and quite a few benefits, just as you have the peddlers of Project Fear predicting 30% house price falls, outbreaks of super gonorrhoea etc.

I keep hearing about the disaster of No Deal (crashing out, cliff edge etc.) but when it comes to specifics I don't hear too much. If there was good will on both sides it wouldn't be as much of an issue but unfortunately the EU is extremely bitter about our decision to leave and wants to punish the UK to deter another country leaving and prompting their house of cards to topple. Like I said, it's like a mafia kneecapping one of the gang when they inform the boss they intend to leave.

The UK does not get off the hook for the 39 billion even if there is no deal - they owe this for a 7 year budget that started in 2014, and are legally obligated to pay. This would end up in Court, and would definitely be the first point of order in any new trade deal with the EU. The UK will eventually pay this money deal or no deal.

https://qz.com/1134703/brexit-divorce-bill-explained-why-the-uk-needs-to-pay-the-eu-to-leave/

5 hours ago, Loiner said:

She’s tabling a motion at 2:30 pm today. If it’s her third meaningless vote, she must have some help from Bercow.
One more humiliation and she’s down and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

"One more humiliation and she’s down and out."

Not necessarily, as no politician wants to take on this poisoned chalice.

Support 'leave' - and watch the number of consultancy/director jobs drop (from big business) for those who have done this.....

Support remain, and watch the number of MPs lose their seats.....

Having said this, I can't wait to hear her latest attempt to resurrect the eu/may deal ????.

Archived