May in fight to retain grip on Brexit as parliament seeks control

webfact

1 minute ago, brucec64 said:

The UK does not get off the hook for the 39 billion even if there is no deal - they owe this for a 7 year budget that started in 2014, and are legally obligated to pay. This would end up in Court, and would definitely be the first point of order in any new trade deal with the EU. The UK will eventually pay this money deal or no deal.

https://qz.com/1134703/brexit-divorce-bill-explained-why-the-uk-needs-to-pay-the-eu-to-leave/

Exactly its incredible the naivety over something so important that still we have people saying we dont have to pay it

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Loiner said:

Of course she needs to go. Even if she resigned, could we end up with a real Leave PM? The Tory party faithful would support that but not enough of the Tory MPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I thought you'd be too busy to post ... organising that party on the 29th?

:cheesy:

3 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Exactly its incredible the naivety over something so important that still we have people saying we dont have to pay it

Agreed. This is another "big lie" ... blatant lying, and then doubling down on lies appears to be the new politics ... and journalists fail to call them out on it.

3 hours ago, superal said:

It really is crying out for someone to take the bull by the horns in an assertive and proactive way . All this pussy footing around is unbelievable . Cometh the hour cometh the man , where is he and who do you think it should be ?  has to be a Brexiteer without conflicts of interest plus knowledge of the EU workings .  He would have done a better job than May and her cronies .

Interested in the 65k and 150k , please enlighten me .

Unfortunately, big business are far less likely to give consultancies and directorships to MPs that supports leave.....

And I'm pretty sure nearly everyone agrees that politicians are only interested in their 'pockets'....

58 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Been through this many times here.  You seem to be either ignorant of the facts or plain.........  So pointless going over old ground.

People were promised they'd get all the same benefits ... by David Davis among others. We'd all get cake, and we'd get to eat it. No one campaigned for Dover chaos, or WTO ... we were promised trade deals signed the day we left? 

People voted for what they were promised ... not something, no deal, that no leave politician campaigned for.

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

People were promised they'd get all the same benefits ... by David Davis among others. We'd all get cake, and we'd get to eat it. No one campaigned for Dover chaos, or WTO ... we were promised trade deals signed the day we left? People voted for what they were promised ... not something, no deal, that no leave politician campaigned for.

In the trade these are known as "non-core" promises

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Of course they say it will be a disaster. Just as they predicted 500,000 jobs losses, emergency budget, recession etc. just on a VOTE to leave (not actually leaving). Look how that turned out, we're doing pretty well despite the doomsday predictions.

There will be no cliff edge, no car crash, this is just emotive language which if repeated often enough people start to believe. We'll trade on WTO terms as we do with most of the rest of the world until a trade deal is reached. There will be some minor delays at the main EU ports for a few months I'd imagine but essentials like vital medicine can be sourced from outside the EU if necessary. If essentials cost more to bring in by air from outside the EU, subsidize it from the 39 Billion we saved until things settle down. There are plenty of 'experts' predicting very little negative impact from No Deal and quite a few benefits, just as you have the peddlers of Project Fear predicting 30% house price falls, outbreaks of super gonorrhoea etc.

I keep hearing about the disaster of No Deal (crashing out, cliff edge etc.) but when it comes to specifics I don't hear too much. If there was good will on both sides it wouldn't be as much of an issue but unfortunately the EU is extremely bitter about our decision to leave and wants to punish the UK to deter another country leaving and prompting their house of cards to topple. Like I said, it's like a mafia kneecapping one of the gang when they inform the boss they intend to leave.

Plus, the brit. govt. is also determined to remain - and desperately hoping for something miraculous to occur, so that they can get away with this, without losing their seats. ????

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

People were promised they'd get all the same benefits ... by David Davis among others. We'd all get cake, and we'd get to eat it. No one campaigned for Dover chaos, or WTO ... we were promised trade deals signed the day we left? 

People voted for what they were promised ... not something, no deal, that no leave politician campaigned for.

We havent left yet , so the "sign deals the day we left" cannot be a lie , because it hasnt happened yet

9 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

That's the remainiac losers version of not accepting the result version, stamping their feet and sqarking, it is not fair. 17.4 million knew exactly what it was and meant, no matter how many times you try and convince yourself.

As for Dover Chaos, you are a now a 'tin hat' brigade member.

Well with the EU leaders finally seem to have had enough, particularly Macron who appears adamant that there will be no more concessions, there will be a Brexit no later then April 12.

Cannot see how Bercow  can allow a 3rd vote have disallowed it previously already, and in any case will almost certainly fail

No time for a 2nd Referendum , no time for a General Election.

May will be forced out the government will collapse and there will be a General Election, but too late to prevent the UK leaving according to the wishes of the 2016 Referendum.

That is unless she attempts withdraw Article 50, which will require an act of parliament and if successful would be a totally betrayal of the British public and the democratic process.

All her conniving  over the past 21/2 years have failed

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

We havent left yet , so the "sign deals the day we left" cannot be a lie , because it hasnt happened yet

Are you still dreaming of those deals..nobody fell over themselves to trade with us and uncle sam isnt in the mood either..it was all lies and you fell for it,it is the main reason brexit hasnt happened cos its nailed on to craah the economy.

2 minutes ago, bomber said:

Are you still dreaming of those deals..nobody fell over themselves to trade with us and uncle sam isnt in the mood either..it was all lies and you fell for it,it is the main reason brexit hasnt happened cos its nailed on to craah the economy.

I'm under the impression the UK has a number of draft deals ready to go, one with Australia.  I think I saw mention of one the other day with Singapore. I recall The Donald saying the other day the UK would be at the head of the queue, and you can bet he means it because he hates Obama and Obama promised the UK would be at the end of the queue

42 minutes ago, Chivas said:

But then Nigel and his kippers won't get their EU pensions  - given their service to the cause you wouldn't want to see that. Alternatively they could have a gofundme and you Brexiteers could dig deep with your denuded pounds to help out. 

Thumbnail

43 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

The UK does not get off the hook for the 39 billion even if there is no deal - they owe this for a 7 year budget that started in 2014, and are legally obligated to pay. This would end up in Court, and would definitely be the first point of order in any new trade deal with the EU. The UK will eventually pay this money deal or no deal.

https://qz.com/1134703/brexit-divorce-bill-explained-why-the-uk-needs-to-pay-the-eu-to-leave/

I thought the current budget ended in 2021 (but am ashamed to admit that I can't be bothered to look it up).

Regardless of which of us is right - how does this equate to 39 bn?

There's a reason why both the brit. and eu govt.s are being very 'shy' about publishing their calculations as to how they arrived at this amount.....

20 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That's the remainiac losers version of not accepting the result version, stamping their feet and sqarking, it is not fair. 17.4 million knew exactly what it was and meant, no matter how many times you try and convince yourself.

As for Dover Chaos, you are a now a 'tin hat' brigade member.

"No deal" is the brexiteer big con about what people voted for ... and yet none of them campaigned for that outcome ... so how could anyone have voted for it? There is no mandate for it, and never has been.

What people voted for was the "sunny upland" version of Brexit that doesn't exist. 

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

"No deal" is the brexiteer big con about what people voted for ... and yet none of them campaigned for that outcome ... so how could anyone have voted for it? There is no mandate for it, and never has been.

What people voted for was the "sunny upland" version of Brexit that doesn't exist. 

At the risk of being a Brexit Bore - the land of so called Unicorns.

Image result for brexit sunlit uplands 

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Yes you keep telling yourself that, as obviously it makes you feel better.

image.png.3a4e11ea880976970bd55dd6e7d035f1.png

9 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm under the impression the UK has a number of draft deals ready to go, one with Australia.  I think I saw mention of one the other day with Singapore. I recall The Donald saying the other day the UK would be at the head of the queue, and you can bet he means it because he hates Obama and Obama promised the UK would be at the end of the queue

All might be's,no good and too risky for a fragile nation and world slowdown and dont think big don is gonna be generous at the table cos he wont be,anyway what could we possibly sell them? Eu is still the place to do bizzness a 3 year old knows it

13 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

But then Nigel and his kippers won't get their EU pensions  - given their service to the cause you wouldn't want to see that. Alternatively they could have a gofundme and you Brexiteers could dig deep with your denuded pounds to help out. 

Thumbnail

Of course he will, although the money contributed by his employer will cease once the uk stops paying into the eu and he loses that job.

Do you have no idea how company pensions work?

55 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Nonsense. You are correct that it would end in court but there is no certainty that we would have to pay all of the 39 Billion, it is much more likely we'd pay a fraction of that amount after a lengthy court process.

https://fullfact.org/europe/no-deal-divorce-bill-legally-obligated-pay/

For those who cannot be bothered to click the link, the question is how much we are legally obligated to pay if we leave with no deal. The response...

This is highly uncertain. Experts at UK in a Changing Europe told us that, under international law, it’s not clearly set out that the UK has to pay anything once it has left the EU. However, the EU would be within its rights to take the case to the International Court of Justice.

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Of course he will, although the money contributed by his employer will cease once the uk stops paying into the eu and he loses that job.

Do you have no idea how company pensions work?

So a man who is campaigning and has for 20 years, for leaving the EU, is making himself redundant. Some posters are indicating that he is in it for himself and somehow selfish. You could not make it up.

Archived