BANGKOK 20 April 2019 09:13
steve654

Suggestions to buy a house in Chiang Mai for around 1-3 mil baht?

7 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Can you buy a *house* anywhere in Thailand? A condo maybe

I believe the Thai government only allows purchase of the air inside the walls of a condo.

Posted (edited)

Would be in my wife's name.  Don't worry, been married 20 years and it will pass down to her kids later on.  Would prefer a house really, not a condo fan myself.  Can be anywhere in Thailand yes, I'm open to ideas if there is decent parks and shops around within walking distance.  I was thinking of Chiang Mai as I don't want to be isolated in an area where I am just about the only farang 😀

I originally wanted Mae Phim Beach area, but the beach was so dirty when we got there that we gave up on that idea.  Nobody smiles in Mae Phim either, it was really strange.

Edited by steve654

Chiang Mai has hundreds if not thousands of houses for sale in your price range. You will be spoiled for choice. Your problem will be finding one that won't be derelict in 15 years due to lax building standards.

• Like 2

So what would be a reasonable price range where a 3 bedroom house would be built to a decent standard?  I want something that the kids can rely on later on in the future to be a stable home for them.

Then go for the 3 mil option

Try to get one with a real roof (ie tiles) not asbestos sheets or tin.

Roof is the most important part in this climate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve654 said:

I'm assuming the bad air quality is just the burning of rice fields and will be temporary?

Yeah, it should disappear sharpish after which air should be like in Finland again.

I would give that further thought. Chiang Mai is fast developing into a second Bangkok with traffic jammed highways, long waits at every crossroad, a packed almost unworkable immigration (until recently) and air pollution thats getting worse and lasting longer. Try a smaller town, less insistent on ruining itself.

• Like 1

Kankankok villie 10 hang dong brand new 3bed 3 bathroom 2.4 2.6m clean tidy modern still at least 30 for sale 🤔

The quality of the air in Chiang Mai is bad at least six months per year, peaking in March. So yes, it is temporary, but its effects on health over the long-term may not be.

And being within walking distance to decent shops usually means more noise and other nuisances (karaokes, scooters, temple bells, odors, etc.) and less safety (stray dogs, absent/broken sidewalks).

If you're ok with all of that, then Santitham and Chang Phuak areas may interest you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The further you get out of town the better the prices will be in relationship to the house. I think you first need to do some ground work and decide where it is you want to live. CM and all surrounding areas are growing at an alarming rate. While I thought that I originally moved too far from town, now with the growth here, I wished I had moved further out still. CM proper holds little for me and being away from it all is more of a draw. At the time I had spoken to each and every agent here and each and everyone of them I have horror stories with, except Elite Property. I think you must also do your own reconnaissance 

Edited by jij

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!  Yes, I think it would be better to actually go there and look around more to see how we feel.  I didn't know CM was so crowded and that the dirty air lasts so long.  We have relatives in Prachuap Khiri Khan and they keep telling us it's much nicer down there, so I would say right now I am at the confused state.  I did go to PKK and it was nice, but I felt like the only white guy there and it was an odd feeling for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve654 said:

So what would be a reasonable price range where a 3 bedroom house would be built to a decent standard?  I want something that the kids can rely on later on in the future to be a stable home for them.

I'll PM you.

3 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I believe the Thai government only allows purchase of the air inside the walls of a condo.

I have bought condos here... When calculating the s/m price they also charge you for the space the walls take up... :coffee1:

• Haha 1