BANGKOK 24 April 2019 18:47

Hello there good folks of the expat community.  I am in need of your feedback, guidance & hopefully good advice from ya'll about shipping my stuff from America to Thailand.  Specifically, my personal car & few hard to find tools.  I heard, the Thai custom will tarrif tax me for the same value of my car.  Therefore,  it would not be a good option to bring anything.  Did anyone else had experience shipping their personal items into Thailand.  Should I forget about shipping anything to Thailand?   Thank you so much..

Not hard to find stuff here - quality can be of lower value tho but that's mostly the case of bags, shoes, clothes, home appliances and other electrics

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I would just buy a car here, and don't buy expensive, not worth it (everyone and his cousin will crash into you anyway). I went with a small hatchback, that way I can park it anywhere, and lower the seats to transport anything larger. I also made sure to buy the newest smartphone, and newest most powerful business laptop I could before I left. I also made sure to buy as much clothes as I needed to make it here, especially in the heat, the selection here is lacking, at least for me. Everything else I get in care packages from my brother in the US, never been taxed a penny, but sometimes get hit with a fee based on package weight (maybe 1 out of 30 packages - never more than 800 baht). The vehicles really are better bought here, I have a car, big bike, and scooter, all brand new and all together costs me about 1,000,000 baht.....not bad, and I'm happy. If I splurge on a vehicle next time, I might go with a Mazada CX-3 or CX-5, but really overkill, best bet would be a simple fuel efficient hatchback (Honda JAZZ RS or in my case a Toyota Yaris TRD). Tools I bought here, nothing big, simple decent 120 pc automotive handset from Blue-Point (plus misc tools), and my beloved Dremel tools!!!

Edited by ocddave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rabas said:

Well, they attempt to drive on the left, sometimes. But, yes your car would not work out well and learning to drive here on the wrong side, with a wrong sided car would be dangerous.

Are you coming to work, and do you have a work permit? Some time ago they had a rule that IF you are moving here to work, and have a work permit,  you could bring in one container duty free but work permit paperwork had to be approved prior to clearance from customs.  You can contact the Thai Embassy in the US for custom details.

Tools, it's easy to find a 230 to 120 volt transformer, I sill have some 120 volt items after 35 years here.

BTW, where's a good place to find a good 230 to 120 V transformer?  I could use one myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

BTW, where's a good place to find a good 230 to 120 V transformer?  I could use one myself.

Depending on the electrical item to be transformed, then also be aware of the frequency difference between here and USA.

If it isn't dual frequency and involves a motor, then it will spin slower here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

I bought mine long ago in an old electronics district not far from Chinatown but I would not look there now.

Google "Thailand 230 120 volt step down  transformer" shows several leads, I see 300 watt 1000 watt, and larger. Many come with a wonderful dead man's cord with male plugs on both ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1